snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 15 June 2018, 03:09 PM

I have no real experience with selling or buying a home. I've looked at tons of online listings and been to several open houses over the last year or so just to get a feel for the market, and I definitely notice when a house has been emptied and professionally staged, or flipped, versus a house that someone is currently living in but took the time to clean up. I've yet to see a house that wasn't at least tidied beyond what most people can maintain on a daily basis, but that's probably due to my approach of gong to open houses instead of making an appointment like a serious buyer. I really like seeing the homes that someone currently lives in; it gives me a better sense of how my stuff will look there. As it happens, I own more stuff than basic furnishings and a couple pieces of art. I also like to think I'm too clever to be swayed by some realtor tricks, but then, most people like to think advertising doesn't work on them when clearly it does, so.

I did a bit of Googling to see whether there's any real research on the subject. There's not much, but this 2012 study suggests that professionally staging your home (which I know is a little beyond what you're talking about) can make the home sell faster, but not sell for more.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/is...ket-2016-05-04
Old 15 June 2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
The nice clean garage with the table in it didn't have any people in it.
The single piece of furniture in an otherwise empty space is kind of a thing on that site if you go through the archives...giving life to an inanimate object that must be lonely as it's all alone in a space to big for it. Mostly, it's the 'garden chair of solitude' sitting all lonesome in an otherwise empty garden.
Old 15 June 2018, 05:06 PM

Part of the problem may be that to me 'garden chair of solitude' sounds like a really nice idea.

-- looking at the before and after photos of the dining room near the top of Esprise Me's link:

The first photo, of the room before staging, doesn't look to me like anyone's living there. It looks like somebody's in the middle of moving out or in.

The second photo looks . . . sterile? I suppose there are people who want to live there; I'm just not one of them.

What I would be inclined to do to that room in the before photo is get the boxes out of there, put a table in, arrange the chairs around the table as if the table were in ordinary use, and ditch those heavy curtains, which are interfering with what looks to me like pretty good light in the room. Leave the paint job alone unless it's badly damaged; it's not that awful if the light is right (I think I like it better than the second look, though I'd have to be in the room to be sure), and there's no way to tell what the next person wants in a paint job. Leave that neat old chandelier alone, too. The before photo room has some character. The after photo room looks . . . like most of the character's been drained out of it.

But again, what's more likely to attract me is going to be less likely to attract somebody else. I'm dubious that it's worth spending a whole lot of money to attract people with one set of tastes while putting off people with another, though. Things that nearly everybody wants -- a non-leaking roof on the house, the garbage cleaned up -- seem to me to be another matter.

But then, I'm not a realtor.
Old 15 June 2018, 05:41 PM

I think realtors find that people in general lack imagination. If a room has too much character, they are unable to imagine their own life fitting into it (unless their taste is very similar to the room design).

In commercial office leasing we have a similar problem of people lacking imagination. We can have two identical spaces for lease, one built out as a model suite (ready for move in) and one raw, ready for build out. Even if we say we'll foot the cost to build out the raw space to however they would like it, the model suite will always go first. If $$ and time were equal in both cases, I would want the raw space and choose how it will be laid out. But this is definitely not the case with a lot the companies we are getting (esp start ups and tech companies)

I'm in Toronto and you don't really have to stage your house (though most people clear out a lot of personal stuff) cause they are going to sell over listing price anyway.
Old 15 June 2018, 06:12 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
...The second photo looks . . . sterile? I suppose there are people who want to live there; I'm just not one of them...
That's how I would describe the house my parents just bought. I was there for the inspection; I don't know if it was staged, but it felt like humans didn't actually live there. The woman who was selling clearly had grand-kids and I just felt like visiting grandma's house must be a lot of fun for them....
Old 15 June 2018, 09:25 PM

That's what annoys me about so many of the houses I am seeing on the real estate sites. Either they are being staged or else people are living much more "high class" than I could ever dream of doing! Part of me definitely prefers a more lived in, real life look but then part of me also wants this picture perfect life with nothing out of place and rooms that look like they could be on the pages of House Beautiful!

Last edited by Sue; 15 June 2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 16 June 2018, 06:33 AM

I haven't had much recent experience in looking at properties. The last time I looked at an open house was a few months ago. I was going for a walk when a house around the corner from me was open. I had noticed this house on my walks because it was such a tiny little cottage and I had often wondered about it so I went in for a sticky beak. I don't think it was staged.

I brought this place when it was put on the market while I was renting it (and living with my parents further north due to illness) It worked out easier for everyone for me to buy it so it never publicly went on the market so not staged. It was fairly well built and maintained but was nearly 40 years old so maybe they would have had to stage it. My Mum said my former land-lady would either have to spend a bit of money on it or sell it (the carpet was about had it)

I have since replaced the carpet and remodelled the kitchen but that is all I have done. We will have to do something about the laundry floor (the paint is coming off) The bathroom is old fashioned but other wise ok so one day...

But now a funny story about the selling of a house.

My parent's second home, they put on the market and then went overseas for a holiday. I was still living "at home" and was responsible for keeping it nice. We had two open houses a week one on Saturday and one on Wednesday. The Saturday one was ok but the Wednesday one was a problem because I was still at Uni and had a class on Wednesday morning. I would have to rush home to vacuum the place before the open house cause we had a dog. So will I could generally keep the place tidy it really needed a vac cause she was an indoor dog.

So the dog had her nose out of joint because, Mum and Dad were away, I had been out or morning and then when I arrive home I don't give her the attention she deserves but instead put her outside so I could vacuum. So she runs away and when the clients arrive for their second viewing I am in a panic because the dog has gone. So they said they would drive around and look for her (I don't drive). So the real estate agent arrives and says "Where are they clients?" Me: "Looking for the dog"

And then a man and some kids I had never seen before bring the dog home "Oh she has been around playing with my kids in our yard, she often is, we knew were she lives so were brought her back" She (the dog) looked very please with her self the little brat.

Anyway the clients brought the house and I got the dog back unharmed so all is well that ends well.

And the house defiantly wasn't staged. This was in the 90's though so maybe things have changed.

And the last time I heard about the house was a few years ago when a stolen car ended up in the pool. I was watching the story on the late news and even though they only showed the roofline when they said the suburb I thought "That looks like our old house" I was wondering how they got in the pool because it was in the backyard and we had no back neighbours but bush reserve. And we were at about 2 to 3 O-clock of a cul-de-sac.
Old 16 June 2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
I think realtors find that people in general lack imagination. If a room has too much character, they are unable to imagine their own life fitting into it (unless their taste is very similar to the room design).
Well, I know I'm odd. If I have to hang around somewhere waiting for something I'll sometimes amuse myself by trying to think out how the space could be gotten to work if I had to live there -- sometimes with entirely unsuitable spaces for the purpose. And there's always a bit of my head if I'm in an unfamiliar house thinking how the layout must work out to live in, and how that would work out for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
In commercial office leasing we have a similar problem of people lacking imagination. We can have two identical spaces for lease, one built out as a model suite (ready for move in) and one raw, ready for build out. Even if we say we'll foot the cost to build out the raw space to however they would like it, the model suite will always go first.
Is that a lack of imagination, though, or that they don't want to take the time and trouble (and get into the potential arguments) trying to work out something that's better for them, when your model is already good enough?
Old 18 June 2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post

And the house defiantly wasn't staged. This was in the 90's though so maybe things have changed.
I'd be surprised if houses back then were being staged the way they are now - or at least ordinary houses in ordinary neighbourhoods anyway. Staging has different meanings of course, for some it's just pulling the house together, making each room "work", it can mean depersonalizing and decluttering. Common sense stuff. But in other houses I've seen the extreme of emptying your house and refurnishing and redecorating with items provided by a professional stager. I don't know if that was an actual job in the '90s but nowadays stagers are part of the real estate team at least around here anyway.
Old 19 June 2018, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I don't know if that was an actual job in the '90s but nowadays stagers are part of the real estate team at least around here anyway.
I am sure that is part of selling the house, at least in some areas. I haven't looked at real estate for well over a decade. Well except for that one little house above and the multi-story unit block across the road that they invited the neighbours to look at when it was first built. Being brand new it was staged being brand new. But I have no idea about other properties.