snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 25 February 2016, 03:06 PM

Default Boston Globe: Massachusetts voters must stop Donald Trump

Follow-up to this earlier post about the Globe endorsing him for the New Hampshire primary:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
For those interested in the New Hampshire primary, the Boston Globe and Concord Monitor endorsed John Kasich in the Republican primary:

Boston Globe:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...DmN/story.html

Concord Monitor:

http://www.concordmonitor.com/home/2...can-nomination

They both seem to suggest he's the best alternative to Trump and Cruz.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/e...00H/story.html

No doubt about it; they think Massachusetts Republicans and unenrolled voters should vote for Kasich to stop Trump.

The Globe seems to suggests that some Democrats and Democratic-leaning voters may actually be cheering for Trump and even voting for him as the weakest candidate in the general election.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 25 February 2016, 04:24 PM

Icon204

Meanwhile all the Sanders supporters I know are convinced Trump will win if Clinton is the nominee.

I can't tell you how many people I've muted on Facebook until the primaries are over.
Old 25 February 2016, 05:07 PM

And the reason Trump will either be the nominee or there will be a contested convention followed by accusations of deck-stacking and more from a disgruntled and possible independent-candidate Trump, is that the relatively sane Republicans can't even get it together to back one candidate and thin the field. Rubio can still pull off a delegate win if he does well in winner take all states. I don't know if Kasich can, and apparently Cruz and others are no better than mathematical long shots. But if Kasich does well in Mass and Ohio, but Rubio can take Florida, then it will certainly be a big mess that won't likely impress independent voters much.

Most of my info is from fivethirtyeight.com. http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...-donald-trump/
Old 25 February 2016, 05:45 PM

I usually find myself in the circumstance of voting for the candidate I dislike least. This time, there's a candidate I rather like. If I didn't like anyone, I could see the rationale of voting for someone I don't like much, to essentially vote against the one I really disliked. However, I'd be upset if this resulted in the one I really liked not getting chosen as the candidate, because the candidate lost out on my vote.

For example, say there was the Large End Egg party and the Small End Egg party. I like candiate A in the Large End Egg Party (who is running against candidate Z), mildly dislike candidate B in the Small End Egg party, and really dislike candidate C in the Small End Egg party. If I vote for candidate B just so candidate C doesn't get in, and candidate A gets elimiated, I'll feel like I wasted my vote. This will particularly be true if Candidate C makes it through anyway. Now i'll have Z and C, neither of which I wanted.

Last edited by Phantom; 25 February 2016 at 05:51 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 25 February 2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
Meanwhile all the Sanders supporters I know are convinced Trump will win if Clinton is the nominee.
Right here is a Sanders supporter who thinks that either Clinton or Sanders stands a very good chance against Trump. Though some part of me would like to see a Sanders/Trump election purely because of the number of heads that would be exploding.

Despite which, Trump is sufficiently terrifying that I hope he doesn't get nominated; though Cruz is equally terrifying for different reasons, and the rest of the remaining Republican pack is IMO not a whole lot better.
Old 25 February 2016, 07:15 PM

I think the Republicans are currently victims of their own success at courting, and validating, crazy. They are reaping what they have sown. They got a big warning g of what was to come when the Tea Party sprang up, and out of fear of losing, they basically doubled down and tried to out Tea Party each other. I just hope they can self destruct and rebuild into a sane party again without doing too much additional collateral damage. Maybe a Trump nomination would do it, but it will be terrifying to live through, lest the worst case scenario happen.
Old 25 February 2016, 07:53 PM

I agree, Erwins, the moderate Republicans I know are shaking their heads and saying they feel like they have no hope for a decent candidate anyone has heard of. The extremists have taken over the party.

I personally think Hillary has a better chance against Trump because moderate Republicans and Independants are more likely to switch from Trump and vote for her than Sanders.
Old 26 February 2016, 05:28 PM

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Right here is a Sanders supporter who thinks that either Clinton or Sanders stands a very good chance against Trump. Though some part of me would like to see a Sanders/Trump election purely because of the number of heads that would be exploding.
Can I just add as an aside that I'm really glad there's no hardcore election slapfights going on here this round? I still remember it being really rough in '08, and I take no great pride in having been part of it. But this place has been an oasis in what's shaped up to be another bitter primary and probably an even more brutal general.

For what it's worth, I would vote for Sanders or Clinton in the general, though I'm rather undecided on the primary. I have to vote absentee from New York though (thanks Florida for the new tougher registration laws :P), so I suspect my choice won't be that important when I make it.
Old 27 February 2016, 05:27 PM

I just hope Clinton or Sanders wins the general. There is not a Republican in the lot that I would want in the White House. I think they are all truly bat s*it insane in their own ways. It's just pitiful that this lot is all that is offered. I don't agree with Conservatism, but there have to be some that aren't totally loony and immune to reality.
Old 27 February 2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
For what it's worth, I would vote for Sanders or Clinton in the general, though I'm rather undecided on the primary. I have to vote absentee from New York though (thanks Florida for the new tougher registration laws :P), so I suspect my choice won't be that important when I make it.
Hey, I live in Oregon. Our primary is so late that the candidates have pretty much been decided by that point. The '08 election was the first time that Oregon actually had any influence on a presidential primary since Bobby Kennedy was running for office.
Old 27 February 2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Hey, I live in Oregon. Our primary is so late that the candidates have pretty much been decided by that point. The '08 election was the first time that Oregon actually had any influence on a presidential primary since Bobby Kennedy was running for office.
I use to live in California.

Dead last. Like, six months out.

On the other hand, I didn't live there during a presidential primary season that affected me, since I wasn't a Republican in 2012. When it looked like I was getting a job back there though, I sort of lamented having even less impact than I already did in California (because let's be fair, not really a swing state that one.)
Old 10 March 2016, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
I personally think Hillary has a better chance against Trump because moderate Republicans and Independants are more likely to switch from Trump and vote for her than Sanders.
That I'm not sure about. Several polls have showed Bernie leading Hillary in several hypothetical matchups with different Republican candidates.

I think that part of that is that 25 years of attacks by the right wing disinformation machine have poisoned Hillary in the minds of lots of low-information voters. I do see a lot of people questioning Hillary with "where there's smoke there's fire" fallacious arguments that since so many accusations and inquires are out there about surely some of them must be true, rather than the truth that she has been the victim of horrible lies for political gain.

The Republican slime machine has spent millions of dollars and wasted countless hours of Congress' time trying to convince the population that Hillary deliberately had Americans in Benghazi murdered and than cackled like Cruella de Vil.
Old 10 March 2016, 05:46 AM

If there's one thing that this election cycle has shown, it's that putting too much faith in the polls really doesn't pay off.
Old 10 March 2016, 01:41 PM

I've heard one troubling analysis that if a left-wing populist can beat Hillary, a right-wing populist might be able to.
Old 10 March 2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz1980 View Post
The Republican slime machine has spent millions of dollars and wasted countless hours of Congress' time trying to convince the population that Hillary deliberately had Americans in Benghazi murdered and than cackled like Cruella de Vil.
Cite, please?
Old 10 March 2016, 01:59 PM

United States

Personally, I'd like to see a Sanders vs Rubio final showdown.

It would hopefully be a start down the trail to reduced rhetoric elections.

Unfortunately, we are likely getting a Trump/Clinton election, neither of whom are the best their parties can provide (not that I think Rubio or Sanders are either, but both Clinton and Trump are poised to do more damage than good as President).

I'll be glad when this election is over. I was deployed during the '08 election, the '12 election and I return to Canada just as the '16 election is heading down the stretch. I am tired of them already.
Old 10 March 2016, 02:02 PM

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
I think the Republicans are currently victims of their own success at courting, and validating, crazy. They are reaping what they have sown. They got a big warning g of what was to come when the Tea Party sprang up, and out of fear of losing, they basically doubled down and tried to out Tea Party each other. I just hope they can self destruct and rebuild into a sane party again without doing too much additional collateral damage. Maybe a Trump nomination would do it, but it will be terrifying to live through, lest the worst case scenario happen.
http://www.vox.com/2016/3/1/11127424...thoritarianism

Here is an interesting article that talks about the ascendency of Trump and how he is likely a symptom of a larger issue in the US, not just the Republican party.
Old 10 March 2016, 06:07 PM

That's a terrifying article, but makes a lot of sense.
Old 10 March 2016, 06:31 PM

For an opposing point of view:
Quote:
Watch out, the authoritarians are coming!

That’s been the alarm, after recent reports that scoring high in authoritarianism was the strongest predictor that someone would support Donald Trump. “Authoritarian” has some strongly negative connotations.
Quote:
But in our research, we find no evidence that Trump supporters are any more “authoritarian” (at least by common measures) than those who like Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) or even Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.).
Quote:
Instead, Trump’s supporters are distinctive in another way: They are true populists.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...what-are-they/
Old 10 March 2016, 08:14 PM

I think the Washington Post article is closer. Populism would explain the very strong preference for "Washington outsiders" for major political office. AIUI, authoritarians wouldn't care about a politician's history, so long as that politician could protect them. Populists who have a strong mistrust of long-term politicians as they would be part of the corrupt Federal government that has taken over from the people (in this incarnation at least).