snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 10 October 2015, 04:17 PM

Default Stupid questions

I figured I would start the new stupid questions thread with one of my own- is it normal for the fur of black cats to become less shiny as they grow older? Mine are only 5 months but they are not as shiny and I don't know if it is a food issue or a growing up issue.
Old 10 October 2015, 04:57 PM

Glasses

I am not a vet, but have had several black cats over my life. In my experience, as a kitten gets a bit older the fur gets longer and poofy kittens aren't shiny. My Thomas' (rip) fur grew much longer while he matured. He looked like a dust bunny from a coal mine.

Of course, this only a guess and you should ask your vet.

Also, you need to post pictures of black kittens to prevent a possible !splody!.
Old 10 October 2015, 09:16 PM

IME some cats are shiny as adults and some are not. I have an adult cat one of whose nicknames is The Sleek and Shiny Cat. His littermate sister (The Cat With the Loud Purr) is not shiny -- though I don't think she was as a kitten, either, if I remember right.

(I have now discovered that "shiny" is one of those words that starts to look very strange to me if written down a few times over while tired out.)

-- I agree: check with the vet. about their food, but it's probably just a normal progression for these particular kits.

ETA: if an adult cat who's usually shiny ceases to be so, definitely check with the vet. And check faster about the kittens if they're off their food and/or lethargic. But if they're acting fine (as in frequent spells of "Chaos and Destruction! Stop doing that!", considering that they're five months old) then it's probably OK.
Old 10 October 2015, 10:25 PM

1. How do you make a ruben sandwich without the bread getting soggy from the juice from the sauerkraut?

2. I have a few avocados in the fridge that I bought at the farmer's market a few weeks ago. Normally they keep quite a while in the fridge, but today I noticed what looked like a small amount of mold growing on the outside of the skin. Should I just toss them in the compost, or could the mold just be on the surface and the meat still be good?
Old 10 October 2015, 11:12 PM

I don't make reubens, but I make sandwiches with sauerkraut, and I drain the sauerkraut before making the sandwich.
Old 11 October 2015, 12:19 AM

Avocadoes shouldn't be in the refrigerator, at least unless they were fully ripe when you bought them. They'll never ripen up properly if they get too cold, and a refrigerator is by their definition "too cold."

I don't know about the mold. If it were me, I'd try peeling them, and probably eat them if they looked OK inside. But I hesitate to recommend that to anyone else as digestive systems vary (and, for that matter, so do molds.)

If I do buy avocadoes (it's tricky getting good ones here, in part because some places don't know about the chilling and put them in the cold case at the grocery and/or ship them in a refrigerated truck), they never get the chance to hang around for "several weeks"!
Old 11 October 2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Avocadoes shouldn't be in the refrigerator, at least unless they were fully ripe when you bought them. They'll never ripen up properly if they get too cold, and a refrigerator is by their definition "too cold."
I typically let avocados ripen on the counter, and then put them in the fridge once they're ripe if I'm not planning on eating them soon.
Old 11 October 2015, 12:31 AM

Is there a trick to getting a window screen back into the window? I swear I've been at it off and on all day, and I cannot figure out how to pop it back in.
Old 11 October 2015, 12:39 AM

If you have the same kind I do, there are little springs on one side and pull tabs on the other. Insert the side with the springs first, push the screen to that side to compress the springs, then push the other side in. Once in place the springs should push the other side of the screen into its slot. Not sure it it matters, but I have all my screens oriented so the the pull tabs are on the inside of the house.
Old 11 October 2015, 12:53 AM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I don't make reubens, but I make sandwiches with sauerkraut, and I drain the sauerkraut before making the sandwich.
This, plus a layer of cheese between the sauerkraut and the bread.
Old 11 October 2015, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning View Post
I am not a vet, but have had several black cats over my life. In my experience, as a kitten gets a bit older the fur gets longer and poofy kittens aren't shiny. My Thomas' (rip) fur grew much longer while he matured. He looked like a dust bunny from a coal mine.

Of course, this only a guess and you should ask your vet.

Also, you need to post pictures of black kittens to prevent a possible !splody!.
Of course we can't have that!

Last edited by sneeze042; 11 October 2015 at 05:20 AM. Reason: pics didn't work?
Old 11 October 2015, 02:30 PM

Flame

KITTIES!!!

I was binge-watching old commercials on YouTube last night, and two of them were ads for Cricket and Bic lighters. It dawned on me that I haven't seen commercials for lighters in several years, and I wonder if they've been banned due to their association with tobacco products. Google and Yahoo! searches didn't give much information. Does anyone know?
Old 11 October 2015, 02:35 PM

Whalephant

Butter the bread.
Old 11 October 2015, 02:42 PM

That is a shiny kitten!
Old 11 October 2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
KITTIES!!!

I was binge-watching old commercials on YouTube last night, and two of them were ads for Cricket and Bic lighters. It dawned on me that I haven't seen commercials for lighters in several years, and I wonder if they've been banned due to their association with tobacco products. Google and Yahoo! searches didn't give much information. Does anyone know?
I don't think so. I have no recollection of such a ban being discussed. There can be a lot of reasons. I well remember the Charmin commercials while I was growing up, but realized recently I had not seen one in a decade or two, at least. I don't think Carmin is even on the shelves anymore, at least where I shop. While lighters have plenty of other uses, I am sure the decrease in smoking has cut considerably into the market, making commercial budgets that much smaller. It may be more effective now to use more targeted advertising, such as displays in smoke shops, conveneince stores and near BBQ and camping displays.
Old 11 October 2015, 06:29 PM

They don't play the Charmin Bears ads in your area? That's odd.

http://youtu.be/GgfBEEEHHVo
Old 11 October 2015, 08:40 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
1. How do you make a ruben sandwich without the bread getting soggy from the juice from the sauerkraut?

2. I have a few avocados in the fridge that I bought at the farmer's market a few weeks ago. Normally they keep quite a while in the fridge, but today I noticed what looked like a small amount of mold growing on the outside of the skin. Should I just toss them in the compost, or could the mold just be on the surface and the meat still be good?
Draining the sauerkraut well is a good start. I usually grill my ruebens, the grilling process toasts the bread and makes its less water permeable.

As for the Avocado, if the mold is only on the outside I'd eat it. If its on the inside I'd throw it away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdalene View Post
Is there a trick to getting a window screen back into the window? I swear I've been at it off and on all day, and I cannot figure out how to pop it back in.
Thee screens in my house have a slot at the top of the window, behind the sash. I push the screen up into that slot and then pull it forward into the window where there is a smaller slot on it fits into on the bottom. Not sure if that makes sense.

My Stupid Question:
I went to a dinosaur show with my god-children today. After the main event they had all these activities which costed extra. The had a standard ticket system where you converted cash into tickets with each activity costing a set number of tickets.

What was strange is that they had an additional step. First you bought tickets, then you went to a booth where you presented the tickets and told the person what activity you wanted. That person then took the tickets and gave a receipt for each activity which was then used to get to pay for the activity.

What was the purpose of the extra step?
Old 12 October 2015, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
As others have said - drain the sauerkraut. Also:

Most restaurants make grilled sandwiches open face, and only close them then they put it on the plate. So, butter the bread, put the bread on the griddle and the cheese on the bread. Then put the sauerkraut on the griddle and cook it as well. Cook the meat in a separate pile. That cooks some of the moisture out of the meat and sauerkraut without making the bread soggy. When all is hot, put the meat and sauerkraut on on of the pieces of bread and then put the other slice on top.

Tasty, tasty sandwich.
Old 12 October 2015, 01:16 AM

Do people get addicted to cigars the way they do cigarettes?
Old 12 October 2015, 01:26 AM

That's an interesting question. I sometimes get a nicotine high off of cigars that I've never had with cigarettes.
Closed Thread