snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Military

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 29 March 2013, 01:54 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,614
Icon102 Secret compartment on Navy ship

Comment: The ship's name changes, but I first heard this working in the
Shipyard in Bremerton Washington in 1974.

Another cool story that went around is when the USS America was built,
there was a mistake in the blueprints that didn't provide for any doorways
to be built into one of the machine shops. So, they installed a complete
machineshop, drill presses and all, and welded shut the walls around it.

A year or so later, when the ship was in service, some crewmen figure out
that there a a big unaccounted for space they were walking around and
around, but couldn't find a way in. So they got a cutting torch and cut an
access hole. Lo and behold, they found a complete workshop, with a big
sign saying, "Merry Christmas!"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 29 March 2013, 09:06 PM
JoeBentley's Avatar
JoeBentley JoeBentley is offline
 
Join Date: 23 June 2002
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 21,796
Default

Unlikely.

A full compartmental inspection is part of too many different procedures, INSURV, pre-underway checkoffs, hell even the twice daily setting of material condition yoke, for a space of any appreciable size, to say nothing of a full workspace, to go unnoticed.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30 March 2013, 04:50 PM
UEL's Avatar
UEL UEL is offline
 
Join Date: 01 August 2004
Location: Ottawa/Fredericton, Canada
Posts: 8,554
Baseball

I was just going to say that the regular serial number and equipment checks would also cause some questions. Especially if several thousands of dollars (or more likely 10s of thousands) of specialised equipment was unaccounted for after construction on the ship.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30 March 2013, 04:56 PM
jimmy101_again jimmy101_again is offline
 
Join Date: 29 December 2005
Location: Greenwood, IN
Posts: 6,465
Default

What UEL and Joe said. But, ...

I can see some pretty odd things happening during WW2 when Liberty Ships were being built in three weeks and more than one was being launched every day. Regular construction controls couldn't have been very strong with a build schedule that fast.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30 March 2013, 09:35 PM
JoeBentley's Avatar
JoeBentley JoeBentley is offline
 
Join Date: 23 June 2002
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 21,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
I can see some pretty odd things happening during WW2 when Liberty Ships were being built in three weeks and more than one was being launched every day. Regular construction controls couldn't have been very strong with a build schedule that fast.
Yeah but by the same reasoning this would also be the circumstances where dockworkers would be least likey to waste time on what basically amounts to a "Ha gotcha" prank.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02 April 2013, 03:48 PM
Wintermute's Avatar
Wintermute Wintermute is offline
 
 
Join Date: 04 July 2003
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 6,535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
I was just going to say that the regular serial number and equipment checks would also cause some questions. Especially if several thousands of dollars (or more likely 10s of thousands) of specialised equipment was unaccounted for after construction on the ship.
Isn't the equipment added much later to the ship? During contruction I wouldn't think you would be adding extra equipment. I thought that all happened well after construction.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02 April 2013, 09:13 PM
Hero_Mike's Avatar
Hero_Mike Hero_Mike is offline
 
 
Join Date: 06 April 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ & Hamilton, ON
Posts: 7,265
Default

Wouldn't some equipment be so large (when assembled) that it's easier to install *fully assembled* within a ship during construction, as opposed to disassembling (into small enough pieces to get to the "bowels" of the ship) and reassembling it after? Maybe not necessarily large, but if precise or complex assembly is involved - things like machine tools, for example.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07 May 2014, 06:38 PM
Kibu Kibu is offline
 
 
Join Date: 05 January 2014
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 17
Default

It's more plausible that after a refit a room was closed off, than for it to have been built that way. This isn't overly common, but from time to time it does happen. A good example of this might be the Queen Mary. After her accident during world war two, where she struck a cruiser, a whole section of the bow needed repaired. During the refit and repair, much of the bow section was walled off, sealing it in and making a kind of watertight compartment. When the ship became a museum/hotel, the people renovating it opened this area and found tools (hand type) and chalk marks from the shipyard that rebuilt her.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20 November 2016, 04:51 AM
blinkingblythe blinkingblythe is offline
 
 
Join Date: 08 August 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: The ship's name changes, but I first heard this working in the
Shipyard in Bremerton Washington in 1974.

Another cool story that went around is when the USS America was built,
there was a mistake in the blueprints that didn't provide for any doorways
to be built into one of the machine shops. So, they installed a complete
machineshop, drill presses and all, and welded shut the walls around it.

A year or so later, when the ship was in service, some crewmen figure out
that there a a big unaccounted for space they were walking around and
around, but couldn't find a way in. So they got a cutting torch and cut an
access hole. Lo and behold, they found a complete workshop, with a big
sign saying, "Merry Christmas!"
So if they could simply cut a wall open to access it, why not just add a hatch from the beginning?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12 December 2016, 12:28 PM
Graham2001's Avatar
Graham2001 Graham2001 is offline
 
Join Date: 21 January 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 720
Default

The story reminds me of one I read many years ago, supposedly there was a hospital in Africa where they knocked down a wall (in preparation to building an exension...) and discovered an entire ward sealed behind it that '...everyone had forgotten about...' when the hospital had been built.

It was in a book of 'strange stories' and even back then I realized that it was bogus.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Struck By a Turtle? Crushed By a Merchant Ship? There's a Code for That snopes The Doctor Is In 5 04 March 2013 09:08 PM
UK flag called 'Union Jack' only when flown on a ship snopes History 15 20 February 2013 12:17 PM
Ship's captains can perform weddings snopes Trivia 21 29 October 2011 07:10 PM
Disney cruise ship evacuation procedures snopes Disney 42 07 January 2010 02:07 PM
Big Ship Meets Coastal Park Jenn Fauxtography 8 31 July 2009 11:28 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.