snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > War, What Is It Good For?

Old 13 October 2017, 10:25 PM

Default Trump Isnít Certifying the Iran DealóWhat Happens Next?

On Friday, the Trump administration announced that it will not certify the nuclear deal that Barack Obamaís government struck with Iran and other world powers.

Itís worth emphasizing, however, that declining to certify the stipulations of INARA is a procedural move under U.S. law with no direct or immediate impact on the international nuclear deal with Iran. Itís not synonymous with ripping up the agreement. It would not make the United States non-compliant with the accord. What it does is punt the Iran debate to Congress, where the ramifications of decertification could prove much greater.

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...p-next/542379/
Old 13 October 2017, 10:32 PM

Flame

I read another article recently which suggests that Trump's whole political strategy is based on big symbolic gestures that his base will see as a "win" (particularly of course since he will exaggerate/lie about them, and his supporters won't believe media outlets that point this out), but which don't really do all that much. This could be an example of that.

But it's important to remember that such a strategy is for domestic political consumption. What does this announcement say to the rest of the world? It says that the United States can't be trusted to keep its word. It alienates our allies and makes the notion of striking any kind of a deal with North Korea more remote. It further cedes the leadership role that the US has played in the world since World War II. Why the hell would Iran re-negotiate a deal that they were complying with, if we toss it? Why would our allies try to work with us on future multilateral agreements? Why the NFBSK would anyone sign any more treaties with us?

God, I hate this son of a bitch.
Old 13 October 2017, 11:03 PM

I saw the announcement. I thought he was going to declare war.
Old 13 October 2017, 11:25 PM

Default Certifiable Nonsense

President Trumpís statement Friday on the Iran nuclear deal may be the most dishonest speech he has ever given from the White Houseóand, depending what happens next, it could be his most damaging. It flagrantly misrepresents what the deal was meant to do, the extent of Iranís compliance, and the need for corrective measures. If he gets his way, he will blow up one of the most striking diplomatic triumphs of recent years, aggravate tensions in the Middle East, make it even harder to settle the North Korean crisis peacefully, and make it all but impossible for allies and adversaries to trust anything the United States says for as long as Trump is in office.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...rous_ones.html
Old 13 October 2017, 11:45 PM

"Most dishonest" is a tough contest with Trump.

Please let this nightmare be over soon - not that I want Pence as president, who is a much more competent villain against women and minorities. I'm hoping for something like joint heart attacks while eating well done steak with ketchup.

But then Paul Ryan...
(sobs)
Old 15 October 2017, 12:52 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
I read another article recently which suggests that Trump's whole political strategy is based on big symbolic gestures that his base will see as a "win" (particularly of course since he will exaggerate/lie about them, and his supporters won't believe media outlets that point this out), but which don't really do all that much. This could be an example of that.
Using the word "strategy" is giving Trump entirely too much credit; it implies that there's thought behind beyond "I wanna exercise petty cruelty!" and it implies that Trump has an attention span, a tool that any kind of strategizing demands.

He's not Heath Ledger's Joker being all "Do I look like a man with a plan?" while playing the part of chessmaster. Donald Trump is basically a shrieking chimpanzee flinging his feces around.

Sorry to any chimpanzees who might be reading this; I have no doubt that you are smarter and display more natural curiosity/empathy in one day than Trump has in his entire life. In fact, we would much prefer to have one of you in the Oval Office; after all, the Constitution never said the POTUS had to be a human.

It's just like I said, Trump pretty much defies all comparisons. Every fictional villain, regardless of how stupid their plans or how shitty their source material, is still better than Trump, because they have some work ethic. Plus, fiction or nonfiction, most people do display some signs of an interior life, that they have something going on below the surface. Trump on the other hand, doesn't. He has no depths to plunge; he is entirely hollow on the inside.