snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 14 September 2017, 11:47 PM

Default A very unfortunate gun control story

I was recently out with my mom at Target (at a completely safe location) and she saw a couple of black teens in the greeting card section, of all things (I cannot do anything but apologize for my mother's racism, thankfully it is elderly onset and I do not share it) and all of a sudden she blurted out about how she had a concealed carry license and had a handgun in her purse. I was horrified. The kids moved away (they weren't doing anything wrong!). I shot them "I'm sorry" looks and they shot me "we get it all the time" looks. Which makes me sad.

I took her down to pieces right there and said "Am I conveying a firearm in my vehicle? If so, I must know". No answer. We split up and later met by the register and she said that no, she did not have a gun.

I was later told that she in fact did not have a concealed carry license and did not have her own handgun, courtesy of my stepfather. (Who definitely has both - I was in his office looking to refill his printer and on top of the refill paper he had a fully loaded Glock). He is an ex-Navy man and really enjoys recrational guns, but keeps all of them locked up tight in our basement, 3 floors away from anywhere you'd put them for home protection. He always says "the phone is my number one against intruders."

Meanwhile my neighbor is a gun nut. He's also a very unpredictable guy - he lets people live in his garage, he complained to me once that my dog bit him after hopping my gate - one night he and his buddies went on drunken exercises.

They decided to play war games.

That jerk ended up on our back porch with a huge gun that looked sawed off - our dogs were freaking out. He was hanging out by my sliding kitchen door and made the "shush" gesture to me.

I completely lost my shit and started crying, and then he knocked on our glass and said "call the police, I'll kill you". Very clearly through the glass. I went in the other room and just cried.

Our neighbor across the street called police and took all our statements. I just deflated on them and was a huge mess.

The police came again the next day and said the main actors had warrants our so I had to swear I saw one of them with a gun (violation of his parole).

There are still like 14 people living in that house, so who knows.
Old 15 September 2017, 04:40 AM

That's terrifying. I'm glad you're okay and hope that you stay safe.
Old 15 September 2017, 04:43 AM

Holy NFBSK!! I'm very glad you're okay after what must have been a traumatic ordeal! How awful!
Old 15 September 2017, 02:44 PM

I'm glad you're OK. That is horrible. Hopefully the police arrest them and properly protect you.
Old 15 September 2017, 03:26 PM

Shifty Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plurabelle View Post

Meanwhile my neighbor is a gun nut. He's also a very unpredictable guy

Nut being the operative word here. Take his guns away and get him in a room with someone stronger and/or bigger than he is, and he'd probably wet his pants.
Stay safe.