snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 16 November 2017, 07:15 PM

The accusation was made back in 1988, so she was both 16 when it allegedly happened and 16 when the accusation was made.
Old 16 November 2017, 10:08 PM

I'm really angry with Al Franken at the moment. For one thing, I've always liked him -- as a writer, as a comedian, as a political pundit and activist, and as a Senator. It's really a betrayal when someone you've admired for a long time lets you down.

But also for putting me in the position of being torn between wanting him to do the honorable thing, take the moral high ground (as far as you can given the past behavior, that is), set an example, by quietly stepping down; and feeling that I'll be damned if we should give up a Senate seat when we have someone so very, very much worse in the White House. Someone who calls all his accusers liars (this from a man who can't go 140 characters without spouting BS) and is completely unrepentant. No, of course the fact that someone is worse doesn't make anything Franken did OK, but I don't want to think about Republicans laughing their asses off as our offenders resign while theirs remain complacently in office.

God damn it, Al.

(I have to say that it's been an enormous relief that there's never been any remotely credible hint of a sex scandal involving Barack Obama. Sometimes you start to wonder if there's any politicians out there who can keep it in their damn pants.)
Old 16 November 2017, 10:17 PM

Of course if Franklin stays in office, it gives that much more fodder to Republicans and makes it easier for them to keep people like Moore and Dump in their respective offices.

Though Franklin has stated he'll fully cooperate with an investigation by the Ethics Committee.
Old 16 November 2017, 10:25 PM

The Democratic party would not lose a Senate seat right away as Minnesota's governor is a Democrat. The replacement would face an election in 2018 as Minnesota law has the governor-appointed serve only until the next general election. The elected candidate would then serve the rest of Franken's term until 2020. That election would probably favor the person who'd served in that position plus Minnesota has typically leaned Democrat.
Old 16 November 2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
(I don't think most men go around groping women against their will, or did even in the 1960's and 70's. But it may well be, and have been, more common among men in positions of significant power.)
I wonder if sexual predators are attracted to positions of power the way psychopaths are, or if positions of power make people behave in more predatory ways.
Old 16 November 2017, 11:51 PM

I think there's a fair amount of evidence that being in power makes it easier to get away with such behavior.
Old 17 November 2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
I wonder if sexual predators are attracted to positions of power the way [ URL]psychopaths[ /URL] are, or if positions of power make people behave in more predatory ways.
I wonder whether the behavior and attitudes that are otherwise considered laudatory by this society in positions of power may be related to predatory behavior and attitudes.

In order to be "successful" in standard fashions, one's often supposed to be highly competitive, and to consider the thing/s one's successful about to be of paramount importance. It's possible that such attitudes are, in many people, connected to the attitude that one is supposed to defeat others, and to consider what one wants to be of paramount importance.
Old 17 November 2017, 01:03 AM

Default The myth of the male bumbler

http://theweek.com/articles/737056/myth-male-bumbler
Quote:
The bumbler is the first to confess that he's bad at his job. Take Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who testified Tuesday of the Trump campaign's foreign policy team, which he ran and which is now understood to have been in contact with Russian agents: "We were not a very effective group." Or consider Dave Becky, the manager of disgraced comedian Louis C.K. (who confessed last week to sexual misconduct). Becky avers that "never once, in all of these years, did anyone mention any of the other incidents that were reported recently." One might argue that no one should have needed to mention them; surely, as Louis C.K.'s manager, it was Becky's job to keep tabs on open secrets about his client? Becky's defense? He's a bumbler! \_(ツ)_/
This piece is so good and covers so many issues I thought it should have its own thread. But it's mostly about this particular issue.

Last edited by ganzfeld; 17 November 2017 at 01:21 AM. Reason: added title