snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 29 September 2017, 12:27 PM

Default Criticism helps charity raise thousands more than expected.

A school fund raiser hoping to make 900 dollars for girls’ education in Africa had an unexpected surprise when they were criticised by conservative Australian senator Cory Bernardi.

The senator, Australia's answer to Fred Phelps, complained about the plan to have everyone, including boys, come to school in a dress. Calling it "gender morphing", he railed against it as a "step too far" and the "first official cross-dressing day".

But his action had the opposite effect. At last count, the school has raised almost 300,000 dollars.
Old 29 September 2017, 01:14 PM

Soapbox

I knew exactly what this was going to be about just by the thread title.

Here's some links:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-2...harity/8999792
http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/n...28-gyqzdz.html

We're currently having a gigantic national debate over whether we should introduce same sex marriage in Australia and the 'No' camp are coming up with all sorts of ridiculous and irrelevant complaints about what will happen if it gets legalized, including the claims that schools will be forced to teach their kids all sorts of stuff about non-hetero relationships and boys will be allowed to wear dresses to school. That's got nothing at all to do with gay marriage (and it's not even a bad thing!!!!) but we've had politicians and radio shock jocks screaming and railing about it for weeks and then in the middle of all that comes this annual school fundraiser where boys and teachers and celebrities wear school dresses so of course a conservative politician had to post angry tweets about it and of course it did nothing except help the school raise a ton more money.
Old 01 October 2017, 02:21 AM

Mouse

You’d think that eventually the Right would learn about the Streisand Effect. Until then...
Old 15 October 2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
We're currently having a gigantic national debate over whether we should introduce same sex marriage in Australia and the 'No' camp are coming up with all sorts of ridiculous and irrelevant complaints about what will happen if it gets legalized,
It is a non binding plebiscite, which means, amongst other things, that unlike most elections in Australia it is non-compulsory and done by mail. Now with my memory issues there was a good chance that I would have forgotten to post my vote back. I voted yes and those "It's ok to vote no ads" with those stupid reasons made me even more determined to vote yes and to remember to get the thing in the mail. Which I did.
Old 15 October 2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
It is a non binding plebiscite, which means, amongst other things, that ...
... it will immediately be seized upon as binding by whoever wins by even the slimmest margin, they will insist that any further discussion of the outcome, consequences or future plan is a "betrayal of the will of the people", and it will become the most divisive issue in the country for decades?
Old 15 October 2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
... it will immediately be seized upon as binding by whoever wins by even the slimmest margin, they will insist that any further discussion of the outcome, consequences or future plan is a "betrayal of the will of the people", and it will become the most divisive issue in the country for decades?
The current government actually came out and said right at the start that if the result of the postal survey came back as 'No' (the result they want) then they would consider that to be a binding result and they'd completely block all further attempts to revisit the issue. Of course, if the result comes back as a 'Yes' then that won't be binding and they'll have to take the matter to parliament for further debate. Pundits also fully expect that they would try to downplay the significance of a majority 'Yes' vote if that happened, possibly pointing to the fact that only a fraction of the population bothered to cast their vote therefore the majority 'Yes' vote win wasn't an actual majority as far as the total population is concerned.

In actual news related to the Same Sex Marriage postal survey, one of the government's most ardent 'No' supporters has already conceded that the 'Yes' camp will win:
http://www.news.com.au/national/poli...830ac9f48e3e26
Old 23 October 2017, 09:03 AM

Something I didn't realise until I read a few of the articles, this campaign isn't unique to this school, it is actually a organised charity that I hadn't even heard of until this all blew up. Other educational institutes do it, workplace do it and even individuals do it. Thanks to this the school is not only the leading fundraiser, it has raised more then ten times amount that any other organisation has. If it wasn't for the fact that the money is going to the same organisation, I would actually feel sorry some that didn't revive this attack. http://www.doitinadress.com/

Well done Cory.

Last edited by Dasla; 23 October 2017 at 09:16 AM.