snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 26 September 2017, 04:27 AM

Default 2 slices of pizza too many for students, Ottawa school rules

An elementary school in Ottawa is limiting students to one slice of pizza each at its weekly pizza lunches, citing a Ministry of Education policy on school nutrition. A parent of a student at Convent Glen Catholic School in Orléans emailed CBC about the change last week, saying that in past years students had been allowed to order multiple slices. The reason given for the restriction? Two slices exceed the ministry's limit for fat content.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...hool-1.4302201

As you can imagine this has been all over the news today. Lots of people voicing their opinions. Mostly saying "hey teacher leave those kids alone" but a few expressing concern that children eat too much and eat too much of the wrong things.

I think one slice is probably plenty for a 5 yr old but a 12 yr old is not going to be too happy to have their portion policed.
Old 26 September 2017, 04:42 AM

My dietitian tells me that one slice of pizza is an entire serving and that I should not have more than one if I want to have a healthy meal. I don't eat pizza much as a result.

That said, a slice of pizza has no meaning from a portion size standpoint. Pizzas come in a wide variety of size. There is no standard that I am aware of. And they can be sliced into a number of different sized pieces. Whether one slice is 'enough' depends largely on how big the slice is.
Old 26 September 2017, 12:54 PM

Yes, it does very much depend on the size of the slice. I'm quite large and have a fair appetite, and if I get a "large" pizza from a takeaway here, I can eat four or five slices in one go. (Four slices would be "I have had plenty of pizza", and five would be "I have had too much pizza. I should not have eaten that last slice". More than that I tend to regret...)

I went to a pizza place in New York though, and their menu included something like "three slices for $X", and since I wanted to try a few of their varieties I started to order that. (It was a bar and casual dining place and I was sitting at the bar with a beer). The bar man told me that three slices would be too much for one person! So I ordered a single slice, and he would have been right - it was enormous. I was pretty full after just one, but since I wanted to try the other flavours (which were unusual) I waited a bit and had another slice later, and could only just finish that one. I wouldn't have been able to eat three.
Old 26 September 2017, 01:05 PM

The obvious solution is to cut the pizza into only two pieces, or maybe not cut the pizza at all.
Old 26 September 2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Whether one slice is 'enough' depends largely on how big the slice is.
It also depends considerably on the child.

As Sue says, it makes a difference whether one's talking about a 5 year old or a 12 year old. It also makes a difference whether the child is sedentary or highly active; what the child's particular metabolism is; and what else the child has had, and will have, to eat that day.

Insisting on the same portion size for every child in the school seems absurd to me.
Old 26 September 2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
My dietitian tells me that one slice of pizza is an entire serving and that I should not have more than one if I want to have a healthy meal.
In addition to your other points, I'm guessing your dietitian's counsel to a 50-something man varies from what she'd tell, say, a 16YO.
Old 26 September 2017, 03:03 PM

The pundits are all over the place on this issue (because there's nothing more important going on here in Ottawa apparently) and the consensus seems to be that it's just terrible that schools are letting kids eat "junk food" at all and that rather than limit it to one slice of pizza per week there should be no pizza at all.

Because as we all know simply denying "junk food" to children will magically make them all healthy, wealthy and wise .

Ok I'm being snarky here but honestly, speaking as someone who has been around kids who would go without eating rather than eat the healthy lunches parent pack and send in so optimistically every day and that end up in the trash oor sent back home virtually untouched every night I have to say that there should be a happy medium going on here.

Occasionally letting kids eat what they want isn't a bad thing! Most kids look forward to the pizza or hot dog days at school and they make a fun break from the routine. Perhaps a better alternative to policing the portion might be to have pizza every other week rather than weekly or something like that.
Old 26 September 2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
The pundits are all over the place on this issue (because there's nothing more important going on here in Ottawa apparently) and the consensus seems to be that it's just terrible that schools are letting kids eat "junk food" at all and that rather than limit it to one slice of pizza per week there should be no pizza at all.

Because as we all know simply denying "junk food" to children will magically make them all healthy, wealthy and wise .

Ok I'm being snarky here but honestly, speaking as someone who has been around kids who would go without eating rather than eat the healthy lunches parent pack and send in so optimistically every day and that end up in the trash oor sent back home virtually untouched every night I have to say that there should be a happy medium going on here.

Occasionally letting kids eat what they want isn't a bad thing! Most kids look forward to the pizza or hot dog days at school and they make a fun break from the routine. Perhaps a better alternative to policing the portion might be to have pizza every other week rather than weekly or something like that.
Denying the kids their pizza is the politician's way of making sure they don't end up overweight because they can't do cartwheels and other gymnastics at recess...
Old 26 September 2017, 04:13 PM

For that matter, it's perfectly possible to make healthy pizza; even healthy pizza that tastes good to most people.

Pizza is not automatically "junk food."

And it's the overall diet that matters; not each and every specific mouthful!
Old 26 September 2017, 04:17 PM

And we know that it is possible because many other schools have modified their pizza to fit the guidelines.

Also, the guidelines came out in 2011, why the change now?
Old 26 September 2017, 04:19 PM

The pizza in most schools around here are not actually made in the school, they're delivered, I suspect (but may be wrong) from places like Pizza Pizza or Gabriels. So they likely are not particularly healthy in the way that pizza being tailor made for schools might be.
Old 26 September 2017, 04:31 PM

That's how it worked with some pizza just after I got out of high school. But the article says that chains have been changing to meet the guidelines.

Quote:
Some pizza restaurant chains have developed special menus that meet the guidelines, using ingredients such as reduced-fat cheese and whole wheat crusts.

Last edited by GenYus234; 26 September 2017 at 04:32 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 26 September 2017, 04:35 PM

If that's the case than the reaction (in my opinion over-reaction) is even sillier than I thought! I know when my own children were in school they had pizza day and it was the same kind of "junk food" pizza they were likely to get if we'd ordered in at home. If the schools are actually getting healthier pizza now then good for them and even less reason to deny kids this treat.
Old 26 September 2017, 04:43 PM

My uninformed guess is that some school administrator couldn't be bothered to talk to their suppliers and/or kitchen staff to find out if healthier options were available and just decided to cut the portion size.
Old 26 September 2017, 05:26 PM

Just like when a few years ago a group of high school students were complaining about how they were going hungry because the federal nutrition guidelines meant they could only have three chicken nuggets at lunch or something like that. The real problem wasn't the nutrition guidelines, IMO, the problem was that the school took the lazy route and just kept serving chicken nuggets and cut the portion size, rather than looking into serving healthier foods.