snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 28 April 2007, 06:06 AM

Icon97 Gain a Child, Lose a Tooth

A popular old wivesí tale holds that for every baby a woman has, she is bound to lose a tooth, supposedly because the pregnancy interferes with calcium absorption and increases hormones that affect oral health.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/24/health/24real.html
Old 29 April 2007, 11:30 PM
Neffti

Icon19

Free NHS dental treatment here in the UK during pregnancy and for 1 year after.

I lost 1 tooth about 2 weeks after DD was born.

3 years later I had a miscarriage, and about a month after that had finished, I bit into a crispy duck pancake and half a molar fell out.

ETA - should add that NHS treatment is only free for one year after a term birth. If you lose the baby early, no further free treatment.
Old 30 April 2007, 07:47 PM
bobs

I've had four kids and an early miscarriage. I have lost two teeth. And one of those wasn't even an adult tooth, it was a milk tooth that was still attached at the grand old age of 17.

At 31 I still have one milk tooth.
Old 30 April 2007, 08:39 PM

My DD's birth mom lost two teeth in the months after the baby was born.
Old 01 May 2007, 05:04 AM

I have two kids and the only teeth I ever lost were 4 molars and 4 wisdom teeth that were pulled when I was a teenager to make room for braces.
Old 02 May 2007, 10:15 PM

one kid and never lost a tooth here, except for the removed wisdom teeth, as well.
Old 03 May 2007, 06:27 PM
matches

I had heard this legend but had always heard it was in reference to breast feeding.

That all the calcium a woman had would be going into her breast milk, and that as the teeth were the most vulnerable parts of the body to calcium loss, often this would result in the loss of a tooth.

With a modern diet such an occurance is likely uncommon.
Old 06 May 2007, 07:03 PM
Neffti

Quote:
Originally Posted by matches View Post
I had heard this legend but had always heard it was in reference to breast feeding.

That all the calcium a woman had would be going into her breast milk, and that as the teeth were the most vulnerable parts of the body to calcium loss, often this would result in the loss of a tooth.

With a modern diet such an occurance is likely uncommon.
A high intake of calcium is vital during pregnancy. The developing baby needs a great deal and in a normal pregnancy the baby will take it regardless of whether the mother has enough to spare or not. If there are insufficient calcium levels in the mother's body, other minerals may be released from bones (presumably in an attempt to find more calcium) and in the case of lead, this can have bad results for mother and baby.This BBC article explains it better than I can.
Old 02 June 2007, 11:59 PM

Pregnancy was hard on my teeth. I only had one cavity until after I started having children, and now I probably have a dozen or more fillings. My dentist told me it was probably because I threw up so much during my three prgnancies. Those acids are murder on tooth enamel.
Old 03 June 2007, 12:52 AM
FloridaGirl

My mother lost one tooth, but she was barely a teen and I wasn't even thought of yet. I don't even think my mom has had a cavity since I was born.
Old 06 June 2007, 04:35 AM

My adopted mom, mother of 4 biological children had all her teeth when she died.

My birth mother, biological mother of 6 had no teeth when she died. My half sister and I have no children, and only 6 teeth between us. So I do think it's has more to do with heredity and hygene than child birth.
Old 06 June 2007, 08:36 AM
We'veBeenHad

My understanding of this Old Wives Tale is that the baby takes its nutrients - including a fair amount of calcium - from the mother. Thus, each baby born causes the mother to lose a tooth.

My case was actually much more extreme than that and I did suffer a debilitating lack of calcium for years afterwards, but I douldn't pin it to pregnancy.