snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Book Corner

Old 03 September 2013, 03:47 AM

Default Science fiction titan Frederik Pohl dies, aged 93

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09..._dies_aged_93/

Pohl was one of the last of the giants. He started as a science fiction fan back in the 1930's, and at one point or another did just about everything one could do in the field - writer, agent, magazine and book editor, President of SFWA, teacher, and finally, blogger - his last (brief) blog entry being dated September 2, the day before his death. It was a comment that mentioned both of his passions, science fiction and politics - he was a die-hard liberal Democrat (though in the 1930's he was a member of the Young Communist League, dropping out after being unable to swallow the Nazi/Soviet non-aggression pact in 1939) who was particularly fervent on ecological issues (see Our Angry Earth, which he wrote in collaboration with Isaac Asimov). As editor of Galaxy Magazine (and its siblings If and Worlds of Tomorrow) in the sixties, he took on and more than held his own against John Campbell's Astounding/Analog which had long ruled the field. In 1975, he wrote his autobiography The Way the Future Was which is a book I'd recommend to just about anyone, rambling over not only his experiences in and out of the science fiction world but topics like number theory, advertising, UFO's, ESP, and cryogenic suspension. At the end of the book, he notes he had gone through a period of depression, thinking he was nearly at the end of his life, but recovered and "re-upped" as he put it. No kidding: He went on to write novels like Man Plus and the instant classic Gateway and all it sequels.

I had wondered how much longer he would last. I saw him once, at one of the LA Worldcons (I forget which), and once wrote him a letter which got a very nice response. We will miss him.
Old 03 September 2013, 05:45 AM

I really enjoyed his Heechee series. He will be missed.