snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 11 October 2018, 01:19 AM

I also left them in the plastic bag which I probably shouldn't have done, as it likely retained moisture and speed up the rotting process.
Old 11 October 2018, 05:32 AM

I have had a couple of strawberries do this on the plant but I think I have been over watering them.. or watering them even though we have had some rain.

And speaking off...does anyone want some lettuce plants. I literally cant give them away.
Mum was going to take some to the place she is house sitting but I didn't get a chance to put them in the egg carton I transfer them in and she can't really bend down to do this. No one wanted them at the Dr Who fan club. I gave some to someone at Gym this week but I still have more.

I was going to take them to my volunteer job but I had to go to an appointment before and didn't want to carry them to the bus stop, catch the bus, carry them to the appointment, have appointment, carry them to the bus stop, change buses, carry them to the volunteer job (usually someone picks me up)

And now I won't be there for two weeks.

My lettuce keeps self sowing I have much more then I need.
Old 11 October 2018, 12:34 PM

WildaBeast, I've had fruit go from hard to rotten several times, but only when I was living in California. I don't know what was up with it, but I got the worst fruit I have ever had while I was in California, living just miles from where it came from. Maybe the crap fruit doesn't survive long enough to get here, on the East Coast?
Old 11 October 2018, 01:51 PM

Fruit picked overly green may never ripen properly.

Some species will never ripen properly if they were stored too cold somewhere along the line (though I doubt that's what's going on with either peaches or strawberries.)

Some fruits won't ripen any further after harvest -- this one does apply to strawberries, and to berries in general, at least the ones I know about. (A few other things, such as pears and I think bananas, must be picked green and ripened after harvest; but it needs to be the right degree of green, overly green still won't work.) Those green-tipped strawberries I see all the time in grocery stores will never get ripe.

Some varieties will never develop flavor because they were bred for size and/or shipping quality and not for flavor.

WildaBeast is right that fruit shouldn't be stored in plastic bags. Transfer to a paper bag, if you can't get them packed that way to start with.

Really humid conditions are likely to cause mold, either in the kitchen or, indeed, in the field. Moldy berries should be removed from plants in the field as soon as you notice them, if you can, because the mold will spread to the rest of the crop. -- Dasla, did yours look like this? That's one of the most common strawberry problems.

dfresh, my guess is that what you were getting in California was fruit from operations that were primarily aimed at the shipping market, but fruit that they thought wouldn't ship well got sold locally -- basically, they may have been selling their culls into the local market. If you could find a farm that was aiming to sell into the local market in the first place, you ought to be able to get much better fruit locally, not worse, partly because they might well be growing varieties that don't ship well but taste better, and partly because they might be leaving the fruit on the plant until it was closer to ripe.
Old 11 October 2018, 04:22 PM

There's also the issue of the spotted-winged drosophila, which is an unusual fruit fly that infests ripening fruit rather than rotten fruit like most fruit flies. The holes the maggots leave in the skin causes the fruit to rot before it ripens: it's become a problem in California and Oregon.
Old 11 October 2018, 06:36 PM

Unfortunately not limited to California and Oregon; we've been hearing about it here, too.
Old 12 October 2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
(A few other things, such as pears and I think bananas, must be picked green and ripened after harvest; but it needs to be the right degree of green, overly green still won't work.)
Bananas produce the ripening hormone eth something* gas. Putting a unripe piece of fruit in a paper bag with a ripe banana may help. Our neighbour in Townsville had a banana tree. He used to take the bunch of the plant and put it under the house to ripen. I used to think it was to protect them from flying foxes but maybe this was why. It may also have been to protect them from flying foxes.

Quote:
Really humid conditions are likely to cause mold, either in the kitchen or, indeed, in the field. Moldy berries should be removed from plants in the field as soon as you notice them, if you can, because the mold will spread to the rest of the crop. -- Dasla, did yours look like this? That's one of the most common strawberry problems.
Well Queensland is tropical/ sub-tropical so humid conditions are the norm but no it wasn't mold. They just went mushy. Some are also very small and I was leaving them on the plant. But yesterday I got a nice big one off. I may have to repot or at least fertilise a bit more.

*I can't remember the exact name and can't find my plant science text book.**

**It was ethylene not ethylene gas even though it is a gas. I am sure it was gas was in it's name when I was at university.

Last edited by Dasla; 12 October 2018 at 07:32 AM. Reason: I googled the correct term!!
Old 12 October 2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
Bananas produce the ripening hormone eth something* gas. Putting a unripe piece of fruit in a paper bag with a ripe banana may help.
A number of ripening fruits (though not all of them) produce ethylene. Putting them in a closed paper bag with each other may help also.

Some vegetables (again not all of them) react badly to ethylene -- that's why most refrigerators have separate fruit and vegetable drawers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
Well Queensland is tropical/ sub-tropical so humid conditions are the norm but no it wasn't mold. They just went mushy. Some are also very small and I was leaving them on the plant. But yesterday I got a nice big one off. I may have to repot or at least fertilise a bit more.
Pollination problems? Insect damage?

There are also other potential diseases. I've no idea what's common in Queensland, though.

In any case, I'd remove those tiny fruits even if you're not going to eat them; they'll eventually rot, and the rot's likely to spread to your larger fruit.
Old 13 October 2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
There are also other potential diseases. I've no idea what's common in Queensland, though.

In any case, I'd remove those tiny fruits even if you're not going to eat them; they'll eventually rot, and the rot's likely to spread to your larger fruit.

Well they do grow strawberries in this part of Queensland and they have been in the news lately. Due to an in shop needle contamination (which was by a troubled teen aged girl) and in the last day or so because of damage from hail. I will take them off though.