snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > NFBSK Gone Wild!

Old 31 January 2013, 02:47 AM

Cowboy More housework, less sex for married men: study

The road to hell is paved with good intentions, as they say: the more housework married men do, the less sex they have, according to a new study published Wednesday. Husbands who spend more time doing traditionally female chores -- such as cooking, cleaning, and shopping -- reported having less sex than those who do more masculine tasks, said the study in the American Sociological Review.

http://www.france24.com/en/20130130-...ried-men-study
Old 31 January 2013, 05:00 AM

Funny they didn't bother to inquire as to the quality of the sex, only the frequency. I have a hunch there's little correlation between those factors.
Old 31 January 2013, 05:10 AM

It also didn't say anything about the side of the house the total amount of housework the men were engaged in- if the men were doing more "feminine" housework were doing more housework total... Well, there's only so many hours in a day.
Old 31 January 2013, 05:18 AM

One wonders if the more "traditionally masculine" men upheld the "traditionally macho" tradition of lying about how much sex they have.
Old 31 January 2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
One wonders if the more "traditionally masculine" men upheld the "traditionally macho" tradition of lying about how much sex they have.
That was my first thought too.
Old 31 January 2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Funny they didn't bother to inquire as to the quality of the sex, only the frequency. I have a hunch there's little correlation between those factors.
Really, why? As a general matter, I would think that being pleased with the sex would tend to lead to more sex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
Well, for the survey as a whole, it does not sound like the men were more prone to exaggerating than the women:
Quote:
Men in the study reported having had sex an average of 5.2 times in the month prior to the survey, while women reported 5.6.
And more importantly, it was both men and women who had a sense of more traditional roles who reported more sex:
Quote:
But both men and women in couples with more traditional household labor divisions said they had more sex.
Old 31 January 2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Really, why? As a general matter, I would think that being pleased with the sex would tend to lead to more sex.
Not neccesarily. Personally, I find that I "recharge" quicker after a quickie/mastrubation. However, after a particularly long and enjoyable sexual encounter, I'm out of the ring for couple of days.
Old 31 January 2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
"The results suggest the existence of a gendered set of sexual scripts, in which the traditional performance and display of gender is important for creation of sexual desire and performance of sexual activity," Kornrich said.
Or it suggests that doing "women's work" makes men too tired for sex. Look at the things they considered "men's work" - yardwork, paying bills, auto maintenance. Those are weekly/monthly tasks, whereas the "women's work" - cooking, cleaning, and shopping - well, two out of three of those are daily chores.
Old 31 January 2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
They did.
Quote:
However, as we show in the Appendix, wivesí reported satisfaction with their sex life has the same relationship to menís participation in housework as sexual frequency.
(Page 31)