snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 03 July 2018, 02:27 PM

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these songs? "Bad Liar," "Die Another Day," "Girlfriend," "Heartbreaker," "Hold It Against Me," "I'm Your Baby Tonight," "Ironic," "Learn to Fly," "Sabotage," "The Streak," "You and I," "You Belong with Me."

Two thoughts, semi-related to each other. In both "Heartbreaker" and "You Belong with Me", (I believe) the singer plays two characters who are after the same person. Each time the one of the character is differentiated by wearing a wig. If "Learn to Fly" is the Foo Fighters song (I thought it was "Learning to Fly") Dave Grohl* plays a female flight attendant and one of the pilots? So it is either the singer playing two characters or wearing a wig. The latter doesn't seem like it would be that unusual though.

* Spelling via Google but that's all.
Old 03 July 2018, 02:41 PM

1. Before beginning his political career, Ignacy Paderewski, the third prime minister of Poland, rose to fame in what profession? Music (he was a composer and instrumental performer - piano, I think.)

2. San Francisco's Telegraph Hill is well-known for a colony of what feral animal that lives there? Parrots

3. Who has won two of the five most recent "Worst Actress" Razzie awards, despite not being a female actress? Tyler Perry? Eddie Murphy and Adam Sandler have only done one drag role each, I think.

6. Those gross strings on a banana are actually bundles of what type of plant tissue, which carries nutrients downward from the leaves? phloem

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these songs? "Bad Liar," "Die Another Day," "Girlfriend," "Heartbreaker," "Hold It Against Me," "I'm Your Baby Tonight," "Ironic," "Learn to Fly," "Sabotage," "The Streak," "You and I," "You Belong with Me. Written in the second person? (Addressed to "you?") (Although there's at least one where I'm not sure that works.)
Old 03 July 2018, 03:31 PM

1. Composer.

2. Parrots.

3. Tyler Perry.

4. Cool Papa.

5. Don't know.

6. Phloem?

7. Nothing comes to mind.
Old 03 July 2018, 05:50 PM

GenYus, I think you've got #7: The singer portrays two or more characters in the video. Realizing that "Heartbreaker" here is neither of the classic songs I was thinking of.
Old 04 July 2018, 12:51 AM

Baseball I think I am a a goose egg this week

1. World cup is on. Going with Football player.

2. Rabbits?

3. I don't know of any recent movies of men acting as women. Would the word "actress" be the key? How about KellyAnne Conway.

4. Was he the one called "Crazylegs"?

5. Guessing the US Civil War

6. Dunno. Epithelial?

7. I know four of the songs, but nothing jumps to mind.

ETA: after taking a look, the versions for two of the songs I know were not the ones being referenced.
Old 05 July 2018, 02:52 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Before beginning his political career, Ignacy Paderewski, the third prime minister of Poland, rose to fame in what profession?
He was a concert pianist. My dad had a punning joke he loved about naming a puppy Paderewski because he was the peeingest.
Quote:

2. San Francisco's Telegraph Hill is well-known for a colony of what feral animal that lives there?
Cats? We don't generally refer to wild animals as feral unless they're usually tame.
Quote:

3. Who has won two of the five most recent "Worst Actress" Razzie awards, despite not being a female actress?
Whoever it is that makes the awful comedies about Mama. ETA: I'm thinking of Tyler Perry.
Quote:

4. By what nickname was baseball superstar James Bell known during his Negro Leagues career?
Is this Satchel Paige?
Quote:

5. What war is the setting for two award-winning 2014 novels: The Narrow Road to the Deep North and All the Light We Cannot See?
Either Vietnam or the American Civil War. Not that I'd know, never having heard of the books.
Quote:

6. Those gross strings on a banana are actually bundles of what type of plant tissue, which carries nutrients downward from the leaves?
This is not my week.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these songs? "Bad Liar," "Die Another Day," "Girlfriend," "Heartbreaker," "Hold It Against Me," "I'm Your Baby Tonight," "Ironic," "Learn to Fly," "Sabotage," "The Streak," "You and I," "You Belong with Me."
I don't know most of the songs, so it's hard to decide what they have in common.

Seaboe
Old 05 July 2018, 04:02 PM

Icon05

I only knew one this time, so I didn't play, but I respectfully would like to mention an issue I have with these questions from time to time, especially in the #7 things-in-common questions.

Some here have mentioned that the songs on this week's #7 were not the songs they thought of when they read the titles. A good example is "Heartbreaker": Wikipedia lists more than 30 songs by that name, a number of them by popular artists, with 9 warranting their own entry. Similarly, there are more than 20 songs called "Girlfriend", and literally dozens of songs called "You and I" or "You & I" (including, apparently, two by the Monkees).

It would be nice if questions that mention songs, movies, people, etc. were not ambiguous about exactly what or who they were talking about.
Old 06 July 2018, 02:03 PM

Glasses

I suspect the ambiguity is deliberate on Mr. Jenning's part, as it makes the question harder to google and answer.

Seaboe
Old 06 July 2018, 03:38 PM

Icon05

Meaning no disrespect to the good Mr. Jennings, but a correct answer is dependent on an unambiguous question. If I ask what Jane Seymour, Richard Burton, Anne Hathaway, and Steve Martin have in common, you need to know I mean the 20th/21st century performers and not the three historical figures and lead character in Godzilla. And in this case it's probably okay to make that assumption. But when you have a list of song titles, some of which can easily apply to several different songs, the ambiguity makes the question meaningless.
Old 10 July 2018, 09:34 AM

It's Tuesday trivia again. Here we go with ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. Before beginning his political career, Ignacy Paderewski, the third prime minister of Poland, rose to fame in what profession?
He was a classical musician, in fact--one of the world's leading pianists and composers.

2. San Francisco's Telegraph Hill is well-known for a colony of what feral animal that lives there?
The hill is home to over two hundred wild parrots. The cherry-headed conures are all descended from a pair of pets who escaped a nearby home in 1990, presumably heartbroken about Howard Hesseman's departure from the ABC sitcom Head of the Class.

3. Who has won two of the five most recent "Worst Actress" Razzie awards, despite not being a female actress?
Tyler Perry won in 2013 and 2017 for two of his unforgettable performances as "Madea." He was nominated in 2012 and 2016 as well. This was almost a question about Adam Sandler winning BOTH Worst Actor and Worst Actress Razzies for Jack and Jill, but I Googled and found out I'd already asked that question in 2012 (when it was still mildly topical).

4. By what nickname was baseball superstar James Bell known during his Negro Leagues career?
He was "Cool Papa" Bell, so named for coolly striking out the great Oscar Charleston in 1922 as a rookie.

5. What war is the setting for two award-winning 2014 novels: The Narrow Road to the Deep North and All the Light We Cannot See?
Both were set during World War II, though in different theaters (or "theatres," the Australian book would say) of the war.

6. Those gross strings on a banana are actually bundles of what type of plant tissue, which carries nutrients downward from the leaves?
Here's how my seventh-grade biology teacher taught us to remember the difference between xylem and phloem: phloem "flows" down the plant.

In the music video for each song, the artist plays multiple characters, interacting with themselves through camera and editing trickery. "The Streak," a Ray Stevens novelty song about public nudity, was the #1 song in America the week I was born, by the way. Fun fact.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What biblical figure is introduced as "a man in the land of Uz (who) was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil"?

2. On what kind of musical instrument could you play a "paradiddle"?

3. What is the mode of the five digits that appear as the first five decimal places in a decimal expansion of pi?

4. What TV dad of the 1970s and 1980s owned a namesake chain of seven dry-cleaners in Manhattan and Queens?

5. Name any two of the three current U.S. state capitals that were stations on the Pony Express.

6. In architecture, a caryatid is a type of what sculpted to look like a woman?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these U.S. metro areas, listed in this order? Fayetteville, Dallas, Omaha, San Jose, Minneapolis, San Francisco, Providence, Seattle, Dallas, Detroit.

Enjoy!
Old 10 July 2018, 09:43 AM

1. What biblical figure is introduced as "a man in the land of Uz (who) was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil"?

Abraham?

A pillar
Old 10 July 2018, 09:53 AM

1. What biblical figure is introduced as "a man in the land of Uz (who) was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil"? Elijah?

4. What TV dad of the 1970s and 1980s owned a namesake chain of seven dry-cleaners in Manhattan and Queens? George Jefferson?

6. In architecture, a caryatid is a type of what sculpted to look like a woman? A column. Thank you, Dungeons and Dragons!
Old 10 July 2018, 11:40 AM

Ooh, looks OK from the first few questions:

1. Job.
2. Drums (if it needs to be more specific I don't know). I think I looked this up to find out what the former poster of that name's screen name meant...
3. 3.1415... so the most frequently occurring digit is 1.
4. Don't know this one
5. ... Or this one; perhaps I spoke too soon. If it went west, then I could try to guess, if I knew any of the capitals of the states I want to guess. Des Moines, Iowa and whatever the capital of Wyoming is?
6. The top of a column.

Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by these U.S. metro areas, listed in this order? Fayetteville, Dallas, Omaha, San Jose, Minneapolis, San Francisco, Providence, Seattle, Dallas, Detroit.
Dallas twice? That implies it's based on an event or status, rather than something demographic.
Old 10 July 2018, 12:08 PM

Whalephant

#5 Topeka and Jefferson City?
Old 10 July 2018, 12:15 PM

1. What biblical figure is introduced as "a man in the land of Uz (who) was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil"? Job

2. On what kind of musical instrument could you play a "paradiddle"? A drum (usually a snare drum, but doesn't have to be)

3. What is the mode of the five digits that appear as the first five decimal places in a decimal expansion of pi? Had to think about what "mode" means in mathematics. 1.

4. What TV dad of the 1970s and 1980s owned a namesake chain of seven dry-cleaners in Manhattan and Queens? Must be George Jefferson.

5. Name any two of the three current U.S. state capitals that were stations on the Pony Express. Salt Lake City (UT), Sacramento (CA)

6. In architecture, a caryatid is a type of what sculpted to look like a woman? Column?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these U.S. metro areas, listed in this order? Fayetteville, Dallas, Omaha, San Jose, Minneapolis, San Francisco, Providence, Seattle, Dallas, Detroit. Hmmm... the first thing that pops to mind that would put Fayetteville at the top of the list is military bases, but I can't see where a few of the others would fit that.
Old 10 July 2018, 02:14 PM

Glasses

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

That sounds like Lot, to me. Except I think he lived in Soddom.
Quote:

Accordian. It sounds appropriate.
Quote:

3. What is the mode of the five digits that appear as the first five decimal places in a decimal expansion of pi?
Since I don't know what mode means in this context, I have no clue.
Quote:

4. What TV dad of the 1970s and 1980s owned a namesake chain of seven dry-cleaners in Manhattan and Queens?
I'm going to say that's the dad in Married, With Children even though I think the dates may be wrong. Clearly, I didn't watch the right TV shows.
Quote:

5. Name any two of the three current U.S. state capitals that were stations on the Pony Express.
Albequerque (which I can't spell, apparently) & Casper.
Quote:

column, basically. Although in actuality, I believe many of them were 1/2 columns and didn't really support anything.
Quote:

Hmmm. Seattle falls between Providence (RI, I assume) & Dallas. It can't be a list in order of average humidity, not with Dallas in there twice. I wonder if it's a list of cities who have had their professional basketball teams stolen?

Seaboe
Old 10 July 2018, 05:40 PM

Started out hot (I think), so I figure I'll answer a few....
Quote:
Job
Quote:
drums
Quote:
Quote:
George Jefferson
Quote:
WAG - Jefferson City and Denver?
Quote:
a pillar?
Quote:

No eye deer, so I'm going with a really WAG - MSA holding the record for most prisoners per capita
Quote:
Enjoy!
I do, I do!
Old 10 July 2018, 09:35 PM

Baseball 2 for 7 this week.

1. Only guy I can think that would fit that description was Job.

2. Dunno. Tin flute?

3. I know this one. 1

4. I believe that was George Jefferson. Gawd I'm old. I remember the episode clearly where he was robbed.

5. No clue. Don't know many state capitals. Kansas City and Sacramento.

6. Don't know. Not many things that could be sculpted. Door frame?

7. They were the touring cities for Elvis' last concert tour.

I think I got 2 this week. Maybe a third.
Old 11 July 2018, 07:49 AM

For #2, Iíd argue that you can play a paradiddle on almost any instrument! In fact I canít think of one that you would not be able to?
Old 11 July 2018, 09:53 AM

Stop hitting my trombone with those sticks!