snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 26 June 2018, 11:37 AM

Tuesday trivia time:

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. Between 1993 and 2010, South African record producer "Mutt" Lange was married to what singer, for whom he produced the best-selling album of the 1990s?
The top-selling record of the 1990s was Come On Over by Shania Twain.

2. What's the name of the circular dance that often accompanies "Hava Nagila" at Jewish weddings?
That's the Horah, which actually originated in the Balkans during the Jewish diaspora but is now the basis for much Israeli folk dancing.

3. What breed of hunting dog takes its name from the French for "rather low"?
The low-ridin' basset hound is getting negged by its own breed name.

4. The 1936 and 1964 summer Olympics were opened, respectively, by what two world leaders--who, despite their close historical association, never actually met in person?
Despite being heads of state for the two largest Axis powers during World War II, Hitler and Emperor Hirohito never got any quality face time together.

5. According to the 1999 film, what is the second rule of Fight Club?
Same as the first one, except with more emphasis. You do not talk about Fight Club!

6. What word from "Jabberwocky" is also an oceanographic term for a system of circulating ocean currents?
Lewis Carroll and William Butler Yeats are the only poets to use the word "gyre" anything close to as often as oceanographers do.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV shows? Grace Under Fire, Gun, Life Goes On, Providence, Time of Your Life, The Wonder Years.
Each used a cover of a Beatles song for its theme music at some point.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Cygnus X-1 was the first object in the Milky Way accepted to be what type of celestial object?

2. Before Chevrolet introduced the Corvette in 1953, a "corvette" was a type of what?

3. The current host of TV's Antiques Roadshow, who has also hosted Temptation Island and Russian Roulette, pronounces (but does not spell) his name the same as what big-screen leading man?

4. Benjamin Siegel is the man largely responsible for the 20th-century boom of what major American city?

5. What historic prison in Kent has lent its name to any British youth detention center, like the one in east Suffolk made famous by Brendan Behan?

6. Prince Edward Island does not border the United States, because it's an island. Name both of the other two Canadian provinces that don't border the U.S.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous paintings? Caravaggio's David with the Head of Goliath, Cole's The Oxbow, Flagg's Uncle Sam recruitment poster, Magritte's The Son of Man, Michelangelo's The Last Judgment, Raphael's The School of Athens, Rembrandt's The Raising of the Cross, Rockwell's The Holdout, Steen's The Dancing Couple, and possibly Da Vinci's Mona Lisa?

Enjoy!
Old 26 June 2018, 11:48 AM

Whalephant

#3 is Mark Wallberg. I know I goofed how he spells his last name.

#4 is Las Vegas.

#5 - Borstal?

#6 - Nunavut and Labrador?
Old 26 June 2018, 11:57 AM

2. Before Chevrolet introduced the Corvette in 1953, a "corvette" was a type of what?

A ship

4. Benjamin Siegel is the man largely responsible for the 20th-century boom of what major American city?

Las Vegas

5. What historic prison in Kent has lent its name to any British youth detention center, like the one in east Suffolk made famous by Brendan Behan?

Borstal

6. Prince Edward Island does not border the United States, because it's an island. Name both of the other two Canadian provinces that don't border the U.S.

Nova Scotia, Labrador and Newfoundland
Old 26 June 2018, 12:07 PM

1. Cygnus X-1 was the first object in the Milky Way accepted to be what type of celestial object?

Guessing: An asteroid from outside the solar system.

A sailship.

3. The current host of TV's Antiques Roadshow, who has also hosted Temptation Island and Russian Roulette, pronounces (but does not spell) his name the same as what big-screen leading man?

No idea, I know the show only from hear-say.

Nutbush.

No idea.

One must be Nunavut (spelling?). Is the other one Quebec?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous paintings? Caravaggio's David with the Head of Goliath, Cole's The Oxbow, Flagg's Uncle Sam recruitment poster, Magritte's The Son of Man, Michelangelo's The Last Judgment, Raphael's The School of Athens, Rembrandt's The Raising of the Cross, Rockwell's The Holdout, Steen's The Dancing Couple, and possibly Da Vinci's Mona Lisa?

They picture a person who's eyes follow you whereever you go. Creepy!
Old 26 June 2018, 12:26 PM

1. I think that's a black hole. (A clue is that it has to be something that was predicted by theory before being observed, rather than something that was named after an observation like pulsars or quasars).

2. A small fast warship, although possibly other things too?

Don't know 3 or 4

5 is Borstal.

6. If only we were allowed maps. Nunavut and Nova Scotia? (is that a province? It's also an island so by the same logic as Prince Edward Island wouldn't border the USA, unless there's a sea border)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
Something to do with the perspective (extreme foreshortening)? Or actually, I think they may all be variations on / inspired by another, earlier famous painting (such as the similar WWI recruitment poster featuring Kitchener). I should be able to picture the Magritte but can't without looking it up - that isn't the title of any of the obvious ones I can think of.

(eta) Actually something obvious that at least a couple have in common is pointy fingers (somebody pointing at either the viewer or something in the picture)... I wonder if that's specific enough?
Old 26 June 2018, 12:36 PM

1. Black hole.

2. War ship.

3. Don't know.

4. Las Vegas.

5. Don't know.

6. Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia.

7. I got nothin'.
Old 26 June 2018, 12:57 PM

Just to respond to a few suggestions about the Canadian provinces ...

Nunavut isn't a province; it's a territory.

Nova Scotia (my home province) isn't an island. (It still doesn't border the US, though; we just have a ridiculously over-priced ferry between us and Portland, Maine.)
Old 26 June 2018, 01:18 PM

I always get it muddled up with Newfoundland - I know at least one of them is an island!
Old 26 June 2018, 01:50 PM

1. Cygnus X-1 was the first object in the Milky Way accepted to be what type of celestial object? WAG-Pulsar?

2. Before Chevrolet introduced the Corvette in 1953, a "corvette" was a type of what? A ship/boat

3. The current host of TV's Antiques Roadshow, who has also hosted Temptation Island and Russian Roulette, pronounces (but does not spell) his name the same as what big-screen leading man? Mark Wahlberg

4. Benjamin Siegel is the man largely responsible for the 20th-century boom of what major American city? Las Vegas

5. What historic prison in Kent has lent its name to any British youth detention center, like the one in east Suffolk made famous by Brendan Behan? Argh... should know this one; read about Behan when we did "The Hostage" in undergrad.

6. Prince Edward Island does not border the United States, because it's an island. Name both of the other two Canadian provinces that don't border the U.S. Newfoundland and Nova Scotia? But aren't there 2 inland provinces as well? I'm confused.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous paintings? Caravaggio's David with the Head of Goliath, Cole's The Oxbow, Flagg's Uncle Sam recruitment poster, Magritte's The Son of Man, Michelangelo's The Last Judgment, Raphael's The School of Athens, Rembrandt's The Raising of the Cross, Rockwell's The Holdout, Steen's The Dancing Couple, and possibly Da Vinci's Mona Lisa? Aritist used self as a model?
Old 26 June 2018, 02:03 PM

I think I know 1,2,5 & 7

which is above average for me!
Old 26 June 2018, 02:04 PM

Icon05

These include guesses, but they mostly seemed easy. I guess they weren't if I'm wrong.

A pulsar. (I originally wanted to say quasar, but that's something bigger and farther away.)

Aeroplane.

Mark Wahlberg

Las Vegas

Borstal

I'm really bad at Canadian geography, so I'll just randomly say Nova Scotia & Newfoundland and Labrador.

They include a self portrait as one of the characters.

ETA: After reading some of the others' answers, I now think I'm wrong on a few. Oh, well....
Old 27 June 2018, 02:42 PM

Glasses

I'm a little late this week
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Pulsar?
Quote:

a boat, IIRC.
Quote:

It's been so long since I watched that, I don't remember.
Quote:

Lost Wages, aka Las Vegas.
Quote:

King County Detention Center? Oh, you don't mean Kent, Washington. That must be Borstal.
Quote:

Newfoundland and the one with the First Nations name
Quote:

The main character is a portrait of the artist.

Seaboe
Old 27 June 2018, 03:09 PM

pulsar

ship

Las Vegas

Borstal

Newfoundland and Nova Scotia
Old 27 June 2018, 03:30 PM

I won't repeat the ones I know that others have already gotten, but I was so happy I had what I think is a correct guess on number 7 for once. But others have that one too. Specifically, I think it is they are all non-self-portrait paintings that include an image of the painter.
Old 02 July 2018, 09:14 AM

Coming in late on this one, but...

1. Cygnus X-1 was the first object in the Milky Way accepted to be what type of celestial object? A black hole.

2. Before Chevrolet introduced the Corvette in 1953, a "corvette" was a type of what? A boat.

4. Benjamin Siegel is the man largely responsible for the 20th-century boom of what major American city? Vegas, baby!
Old 02 July 2018, 12:24 PM

Hmm... I like your #1, TGG - reminded me of the Disney connection for the name.
Old 02 July 2018, 01:32 PM

That's what I think number one is as well, though I'm not sure.
Old 03 July 2018, 09:14 AM

Time once again for Tuesday Trivia.

As always, no Googling the answers before Sunday, and the question 7 is delayed one week as per Ken Jennings' request.

Here we go with ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

It's now understood that Cygnus X-1 is a black hole--but Stephen Hawking was skeptical for many years. He bet fellow physicist Kip Thorne that Cygnus X-1 would NOT be shown to be a black hole, and had to buy Thorne a one-year subscription to Penthouse magazine when proved wrong. Astronomers be nasty.

The dictionary still insists that a corvette is not a sports car: it's a very small type of warship. Imagine a frigate. A corvette is even smaller than that!

The annoying movie star from Boston in Mark Wahlberg, with an 'H'. The TV host, who is not from Boston, is Mark L. Walberg, with an 'L'.

Benjamin was better known as gangster "Bugsy" Siegel (though he hated the nickname), and modern-day Las Vegas as we know it was pretty much all his idea.

That famous delinquency destination was called Borstal Prison, and now "borstal" is a generic term for any youth prison facility in the U.K.

Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and Labrador are similarly untainted by an American land border.

None of these paintings are billed as self-portraits, each painting actually includes a likeness of the artist in the scene. In the painting of David, Caravaggio is actually the head of Goliath!

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Before beginning his political career, Ignacy Paderewski, the third prime minister of Poland, rose to fame in what profession?

2. San Francisco's Telegraph Hill is well-known for a colony of what feral animal that lives there?

3. Who has won two of the five most recent "Worst Actress" Razzie awards, despite not being a female actress?

4. By what nickname was baseball superstar James Bell known during his Negro Leagues career?

5. What war is the setting for two award-winning 2014 novels: The Narrow Road to the Deep North and All the Light We Cannot See?

6. Those gross strings on a banana are actually bundles of what type of plant tissue, which carries nutrients downward from the leaves?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these songs? "Bad Liar," "Die Another Day," "Girlfriend," "Heartbreaker," "Hold It Against Me," "I'm Your Baby Tonight," "Ironic," "Learn to Fly," "Sabotage," "The Streak," "You and I," "You Belong with Me."

Enjoy!
Old 03 July 2018, 09:25 AM

1. Before beginning his political career, Ignacy Paderewski, the third prime minister of Poland, rose to fame in what profession?

Composer

5. What war is the setting for two award-winning 2014 novels: The Narrow Road to the Deep North and All the Light We Cannot See?

American civil war?
Old 03 July 2018, 09:51 AM

Whalephant

#2 is parrots.

#3 might be Tyler Perry. The Madea movies.