snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 16 June 2018, 12:13 PM

France

Dsicovered yesterday that there is a Ferrari (don't know the model, though) parked in one of the factories in the zone my sorting center is in.

And near the VolksWagen dealership near the local mall, there's an Aston Martin DB 7. A few years ago, there was also a Karmann Ghia, but I aven't seen it in a while.
Old 16 June 2018, 07:44 PM

This morning a on my way home from the farmers market I saw a Dodge Viper.

Then maybe a mile later a big, 1960s or early 70s Oldsmobile convertible. I'd have to do some research to figure out the model, but it definitely had an Oldsmobile split grille.

Also, a well worn looking Datsun 280Z parked in an alley. It didn't have a license plate, so I'm thinking maybe it's someone's restoration project. I hear the old Z Cars are rather collectible now.
Old 17 June 2018, 02:04 AM

A classic/air cooled 911, followed a few hours later by one of its modern day descendants.
Old 17 June 2018, 12:51 PM

I saw a red 1965 Ford Mustang (C-reg) in the Waitrose car park in Chichester. It was nicely restored and shiny; old Mustangs are quite unusual in the UK but this looked as though it must have been registered here originally too.
Old 17 June 2018, 04:44 PM

... And I'm sure somebody mentioned seeing an AC Cobra which they assumed was a replica, but it must have been in the last thread. Anyway, later in the day I also saw a Cobra parked on the High Street in Selsey. It had a Cobra badge so I assume it was a "real" one but I'm not sure of the distinction the last person was trying to draw; it seems that they've also been produced under license by other manufacturers. This looked fairly new so it wasn't "original" in the sense of being from the 1960s - although it had an L-reg license plate which would have put it as registered in 1972. But that gives a maximum age not a minimum, since you can transfer old plates to newer cars, but not newer plates to older ones. Still, it was a nice car however "authentic" it was.
Old 17 June 2018, 06:40 PM

About the only way to tell some of the good reproductions is by looking under the fenders. Fiberglass means its a reproduction but there is still a Shelby company that will make and assign new serial numbers to new cars. They, at least, consider them true Shelby Cobras. See www.shelby.com
Old 17 June 2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meka View Post
My own similar question - in the 80s my dad had a small two door hatchback. I could have sworn it was a Buick, but I haven't found anything in their lineup from the late 70s or early 80s that resembles what I remember - my recollection of it is that it looked something like a cross between a Mk. 1 Golf and the wagon (non-bubble car) version of the Pacer. Any thoughts?
AMC made a couple of two-door hatchbacks in the late 70's, early 80's. In addition to the Pacer, they also made the Eagle SX4 and the Eagle "Kammback".

Visually, there wasn't much of a difference between the Pacer and the two later Eagle variants (it also still came in a 4-door sedan), other than the SX4 was a tad larger than either the Pacer or the Kammback, had somewhat more of a slope on the hatchback end, an over-all sportier look, and the Kammback came in either rear-wheel drive or four-wheel drive (the latter of which was also higher).

Or, to put it another way: the SX4 looked more like a 4-wheel drive Mustang, and the Kammback was a glorified Gremlin (which isn't saying much).

~Psihala
(*And the Kammback was also my very first car purchase.)

Last edited by Psihala; 17 June 2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 17 June 2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Fiberglass means its a reproduction but there is still a Shelby company that will make and assign new serial numbers to new cars. They, at least, consider them true Shelby Cobras. See www.shelby.com
Yes, but apparently Shelby is just the name that AC Cobras were sold under in the USA, so I'm not sure how that's more "genuine" than any other... Anyway, this one looked like a very nice car but I have no idea whether it was fibreglass or steel - perhaps I should have knocked on it to find out, but it might have set an alarm off! (eta) As I said, if we assume it had its original number plate then it was registered in 1972 or 1973; it was in very good condition, which might just mean that it had been well-looked-after or restored. Or it could mean that somebody had put an older plate on a newer car.

Last edited by Richard W; 17 June 2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 18 June 2018, 12:43 AM

Could it have been an AC Ace with the English 4 cylinder engine?
Old 18 June 2018, 12:46 AM

Saw a new or at least newish Ferrari today. Then a 1957 or 58 Ford 2 door. I'm not sure of the year because the fins looked like a 58 but it had single headlights like the 57. The 58 had quad headlights. I also saw a mid 50s Chevrolet in a garage that appeared to have been restored but not driven recently.
Old 18 June 2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Could it have been an AC Ace with the English 4 cylinder engine?
It had a Cobra badge on it. Are they rare enough to make it that unlikely that I saw one?
Old 18 June 2018, 02:28 PM

Glasses

No, they're not that rare (in my experience).

Last week, in the 1 mile drive between the grocery store and my home, I saw 8 Toyota Priuses. Not counting any parked cars. I know Priuses are not unusual, but to see 8 in 1 mile? That's a lot.

I've also been looking for electric cars on the freeway, but seeing them is dependent on the traffic moving very slowly, so that I have time to look around. Since few are as distinctive as the Leaf, the Fiat, or the Tesla (because if it has a Tesla logo, I know it's electric no matter what the car looks like) I probably pass a lot more than I know.

Seaboe
Old 18 June 2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
It had a Cobra badge on it. Are they rare enough to make it that unlikely that I saw one?
I'm not sure how rare AC Aces are. The Cobra has been one of the most copied cars around. The 427 body, identified by the wide rear fenders, seems to be the most common. Cobra badges are readily available. I had a 1997 Ford Mustang that was a Cobra model complete with badges. It had a 4.6 L, dual overhead cam engine producing 305 HP. Today, that much horsepower is available in minivans.
Old 18 June 2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I had a 1997 Ford Mustang that was a Cobra model complete with badges. It had a 4.6 L, dual overhead cam engine producing 305 HP. Today, that much horsepower is available in minivans.
If you go back a few more decades, a Mustang GT from circa 1980 didn't have much more horsepower than a modern Toyota Corolla.

I didn't see anything exotic this morning, but I did see a rather old Toyota Pickup (the Toyota Hilux to the rest of the world). That's probably one of those vehicles that you can only find in California as they have mostly turned into rust everywhere else. I'm thinking it was the 1978-83 version. This one was yellow with red graphics on the side, very much in the style of compact trucks from that era. And it had a "5-speed" badge on the tailgate. It's always interesting to see an old vehicle with badging touting some feature that's now commonplace.
Old 18 June 2018, 04:17 PM

I think I just figured out how to tell a "real" Cobra from a later car whether a kit car or an official follow on Cobra. If the car is being driven on the street and looks brand new, it is not a car Carroll Shelby could have touched.

ETA: For example I saw a beautiful 427 body Cobra in Arlington TX 2 weeks ago. It sounded and looked wonderful. It was not an original. I still want it.
Old 19 June 2018, 04:47 AM

Another in the category of cars that were once common but have mostly faded away. There's currently a 30+ year old Buick Electra Park Avenue parked right in front of my house. I know this car well, because I drove a 1988 model when I was in high school. This one must be slightly older than the one I had because it has sealed beam headlights, while mine had composite headlights. The funny thing is at the time it seemed like a big car, but now it actually looks small in comparison to the new Camry parked behind it.
Old 19 June 2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Not in Selsey. There are a few down that neck of the woods!
Old 19 June 2018, 02:25 PM

Glasses

Last night I saw a Jaguar XJS, with a back end like the one in this picture. I don't know how old that is, but it's not new.

I also saw an early 70s big car with a scoop on the hood (I think it may have been a Monte Carlo, but I only saw it for a few seconds as it passed through an intersection). The only reason I mention this second car (since I couldn't identify it) is that both it and the Jaguar were the same deep royal blue. Beautiful color on both cars.

Seaboe
Old 20 June 2018, 12:01 AM

According to a coworker there are like three or four old cars that she sees all the time but I keep missing. These include a '59 Buick LeSabre coupe, an AMC Gremlin, and a BMW 2002. For my part I saw a beautiful early sixties VW Beetle today while on a bicycle ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM
I'm not sure how rare AC Aces are
I believe they're actually rarer than period built Cobras of all types. The final, Ford engined Ace 2.6 is rarest, with about thirty made. (By the by, the Ace had six cylinder engines, by AC themselves, bought in Bristol units - by far the most common - and the aforementioned Ford). But, as you say, if you see a Cobra on the road it's probably a replica. Outside of vintage racing I've seen exactly three, all of which were at car shows.

Quote:
As I said, if we assume it had its original number plate then it was registered in 1972 or 1973; it was in very good condition, which might just mean that it had been well-looked-after or restored. Or it could mean that somebody had put an older plate on a newer car.
It probably falls into this category.

Last edited by Roadsterboy; 20 June 2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old 20 June 2018, 12:03 AM

Saw a Fisker Karma on the way to work today. There's no mistaking that unique horizontally shaped split grill. Neat as I can tell, a bit over 2,000 were produced, so there aren't that many of them.