snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 12 January 2018, 08:08 PM

Glasses

Thank you, Thorny.

Seaboe
Old 13 January 2018, 06:37 AM

Yesterday I bought a pineapple. I haven't brought a pineapple before but there was a story a on the news about how Australian pineapple farmers are having to leave their crops to rot because the pineapple caners are now longer buying Australian pineapples.

The thing was the farmers they talked to were from Rollingstone, which is a small town outside Townville. I was thinking about Rollingstone recently because I was looking at my map of Australia and noticed it was marked. I didn't think it was a town in of itself. Back in the seventies it was were we turned of the Pacific Highway to go to our beach hut. I think there was only a pub there. So I was a little surprised it was marked on a map of the whole country. I don't think I have thought about it since the last time we went to our beach hut. So for it to come up twice in such a short time was funny.

The other thing is, we used swap our street car for our four wheel drive vehicle at a pineapple farm. There was a small paddock were we all left our cars. I think it may have been the same farm. I must remember to ask Mum and Dad.

Now what am I going to do with my pineapple.

*My family and the other beach hut owners. Who were also our neighbours in Town.
Old 13 January 2018, 01:11 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker

Unhijackably, my nephew's dog has gone missing. He lives in Tucson, and his dog is small. Given when she disappeared (between 2-7 am), I fear the worst (i.e., animal predation). But if you know anyone in the area, please ask them to keep on the lookout for a Chihuahua/dachsund mix, about 9 lbs, possibly wearing a green harness. She's a little shy, so approach gently. ETA: her name is Gretel.

Seaboe
Oof. Yeah, Tucson is loaded with predators: coyotes, bobcat, even mountain lions occasionally if they are in the Foothills area. I'll keep my eyes open.
Old 14 January 2018, 02:35 PM

I was having a conversation with a friend about animated musical groups such as Josie and the Pussycats and The Archies and Alvin and the Chipmunks and we were trying to come up with modern examples. Gorillaz is an obvious one and I guess Homer's barbershop quartet The Bee Sharps would count as 'modern' in a pinch (that episode first aired 25 years ago!) but I couldn't think of any others. There's some bands that have a fair few animated music videos (Daft Punk, Junior Senior, etc) but they're not exclusively animated.

Edit: from googling I guess Dethklok and Studio Killers would be two other modern examples but they're a bit obscure

Last edited by Gutter Monkey; 14 January 2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 14 January 2018, 04:38 PM

Baseball

The first thing that jumps to mind is the characters from Shrek.

At the end of the Shrek movies, they sing their own songs. They have also put out a Christmas Album and some soundtrack stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Shrek-Donkey-.../dp/B000IO2KCE

I can't think of any more off the top of my head.
Old 14 January 2018, 05:52 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I have some sort of rodent living in my kitchen. I'm getting mouse traps today, but I'm concerned it might not be a mouse, which scares the heck out of me. I've heard it a few times and the sounds it make sound too big for a mouse. Plus, the cat shows no interest which is a big red flag. She will go at tiny mice or birds, but anything of size she suddenly doesn't see.
It turned out to be a pair of very fat mice. They were caught in traps within minutes of each other, one on the counter, one on the floor directly below.
Old 14 January 2018, 06:32 PM

You need a bigger cat.
Old 14 January 2018, 08:08 PM

Or maybe just a second cat. 😉
Old 15 January 2018, 03:56 AM

Apparently the accounting department of my employer can't do maths so well because this is the third year in a row where they've messed up my retirement contributions. They have taken about $800 out of my check that wasn't deposited into my retirement account this year. Last year the number was a few thousand.
Old 15 January 2018, 03:20 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
Oof. Yeah, Tucson is loaded with predators: coyotes, bobcat, even mountain lions occasionally if they are in the Foothills area. I'll keep my eyes open.
Don't forget feral dogs.

Certainly, things are not looking good for poor Gretel. I found out last night that she was within a fenced yard, and the gate was closed. They didn't find any blood, but if it was a snatch and grab on the part of the predator, they wouldn't.

My nephew's intending to volunteer for the humane society as a dog walker until he succumbs to another dog. He doesn't want to move too fast because he's afraid he'll resent the new dog for not being Gretel. He's also leaving his gate ajar, in case a miracle occurs and she comes home. She is chipped, and the word has been spread pretty thoroughly in his neighborhood.

He's blaming himself because he didn't get up to see why she was barking at 2 am, even though they'd lived there safely for three years with her having access to the yard at night.

Seaboe

Last edited by Seaboe Muffinchucker; 15 January 2018 at 03:22 PM. Reason: because they is not a synonym for the
Old 16 January 2018, 12:59 AM

Houston is predicted to get all kinds of wintery weather nonsense tomorrow. I'm really hoping the powers that be where I work give us the day off. It looks like I'd be able to make it in before the snow/sleet/freezing rain/whatever hits, but I'm afraid I won't be able to get home safely at closing time.
Old 16 January 2018, 01:57 PM

Cheer

I was in my work uniform and about to walk out the door when I found out that yes, we are closed today. I was very nervous about driving through ice and sleet (I'm from Texas! I have literally zero experience driving on icy roads!) so I am very happy and relieved.
Old 16 January 2018, 03:03 PM

After being around a four kids (ages ranging from 20 months to almost 5 years) this past week, I have less of a desire to have kids of my own. After being around them, I understand why my grandma would always yell at us (her grandchildren) to go outside and play or telling at us to be quiet. And usually there were usually eight or more kids running around when I was a kid. I totally understand why my grandma was crabby.
Another thing that I have no desire for awhile, being around my extended family. It's nice to see family, but only in small amounts.
Old 16 January 2018, 03:13 PM

Seaboe, that's awful. There shouldn't be any blame for thinking that was a safe situation -- though it's a whole lot easier to say that than it is not to feel any.

Is their any chance that she was taken by a human and is being cared for?

Veruca, I'm glad you get to stay home!
Old 16 January 2018, 03:19 PM

Glasses

If she was taken by a human, it had to have been deliberate. She would not have left voluntarily (she does not like to be handled). It's been almost a week.

In happier news, my truck goes in tomorrow for a new clutch and myriad other small fixes. It's going to cost a bundle, but it will be worth it as the truck (ironically named TNT, short for "the new truck") only has 265,000 miles on it. It's a Toyota so it should be good for at least 100,000 more.

Seaboe
Old 18 January 2018, 03:21 PM

Glasses

A storm blew through last night. Lots of wind and rain (it was still fairly breezy this morning). At one point, the rain hitting the windows in the kitchen sounded as if the water was hitting the sink (in other words, as if the window was missing). I even got up to check that everything was all right.

I think that the Sequoia in my back yard protects the bedroom and bathroom windows well enough that the rain hits the kitchen window more directly, making the sound just different enough to cause my concern.

I didn't see a lot of wind damage this morning, either, although Ferdinand and I didn't walk in the direction that the majority of the trees lay. There may have been tree litter I didn't see.

Seaboe
Old 18 January 2018, 08:34 PM

I resurrected an old thread to add an update and ended up skimming through it. It's amazing how many people who were posting very regularly not so very long ago either don't post here at all anymore or else post extremely sporadically .
Old 19 January 2018, 04:20 AM

I don't usually like to talk about it, but I am quickly growing more frustrated with the parents of my God-children. It used to be that they both worked, she went to school and they watched the kids when they weren't doing these things. I filled in the times they were both at work or school. Now the father is working 12 hour shifts, 7 days a week and sleeping most days. He watches them maybe once or twice a week. The children's grandfather has been picking up some of the slack. The mother, who is a close friend of mine, has taken to going to the gym for 2-3 hours on the nights shes not in class.

The weekday schedule has them seeing their mother for maybe 30 minutes in the morning, most days not seeing their father at all. I take care of them in the afternoon, including picking the older child up from school, managing homework, feeding them dinner, getting them bathed and in bed each night. Their mother usually comes home not long after they are in bed.

It's especially difficult for the older child who bitterly complains about not seeing his mom most days and usually acts very badly at bedtime often culminating with him crying for his mom.

I've made some pretty strong hints and suggested reasons that she could be home earlier, so I could go to the gym before it closes, etc. But, nothing has had any positive effect. I know I should be more direct, but in the past these kind of things generally lead to me having less times with the kids, and no improvement for them. I'm probably being paranoid, but I'm worried because I have no standing here whatsoever, they could decide to have someone else watch the kids and I would be crushed.

Not necessarily looking for advice, just venting, probably because the next two days I have company meetings all day so I can't drink heavily as I would like to right now.
Old 19 January 2018, 12:05 PM

Beachlife, I hope things get better for you and the kids (and the parents- I imagine they're exhausted and/or trying to manage their stress). Sounds like a tough situation.
Old 19 January 2018, 02:31 PM

Glasses

Beach, if you just said "your son was asking for you at bedtime" (on those nights--however many--that he asks) would that cause the extreme reaction you fear?

In other news, between the time I got the estimate on the truck and it went in for service, a seal blew on the axle and I ended up with 90-weight oil all over the brakes (this is the third time I've had this happen, on two different trucks). So that had to be added and I didn't get to pick the truck up yesterday.

On the plus side, they gave me a discount on that work, so the total bill is still less than my willing-to-spend-at-this-time limit. Even when you include the rental car (steeply discounted because I'm having work done on the truck).

Picking it up should be fairly easy as I am working from home today. I have to run a security program on my computer. Past experience says it will take more than 8 hours to run, so running it from home is easier than trying to do so at work. The shortest time it's taken recently was 16 hours. Last time, it was 38. I have to run this every 90 days, and it's one of the banes of my work life. On the plus side, I don't have to go through the list of results; I get to wait for IT to tell me which records have to be dealt with. So, yea for that.

Seaboe