snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 20 January 2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
Now what am I going to do with my pineapple.
I am going to fry some lightly and have it with a ham steak. I have already eaten most of the pineapple and have been trying to find the ham steaks at my local supermarket. Ham steaks and polenta cause I also have some tomatoes I want to use up. I made a batch of tomato relish and have also done a few other things with the tomatoes but with our heat at the moment I need to use the tomatoes sooner rather then latter. And there is a dish of even baked tomatoes and polenta I wanted to do.

But could I find either polenta or ham steaks at my local supermarkets? No I could not. I look in the meat department and the deli counter and in the cold section (for the ham steaks) and in the area were the dried beans, rice and pasta were kept. Found couscous but not polenta. Looked in the health food section and a few other places. finally found both today.

I could only find a package of four ham steaks so I will buy another pineapple soon to have with the other three.

Only thing is, the polenta recipe also calls for spinach and I forgot to get some. I have some bok choy and some other Asian "spinach" and that will have to do and I really need to use that up but I would have preferred proper European spinach.
Old 20 January 2018, 11:15 AM

On another thread there is a discussion about weight and height on driver's licenses. In Switzerland, neither information is included, nor is hair or eye color. Also the driver's license is valid indefinitely, but starting age 70, the driver is required to get a medical check every two years to continue driving.

Is the U.S. the only country that includes height and weight on the driver's license? I know Switzerland is unusual due to the lack of expiration date (makes renting cars interesting), but I've only had a driver's license in the U.S. and here.
Old 20 January 2018, 02:43 PM

I must make two dozen butter tarts today for a church meeting tomorrow. I didn't offer to do this. someone just ordered me to do it. I think because she likes butter tarts, not because the congregation does. (Very few are brave enough o try them.)

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't feel like baking, and now I have to bake a buttload today.
Old 20 January 2018, 03:40 PM

Die Capacitrix, my New York State driver's license includes height, but not weight. (Which seems sensible to me; height is very difficult to change, but while weight is very difficult to change permanently temporary large weight changes are pretty common.)

TrishDaDish, why would anybody have to be brave to try butter tarts? I googled them, and they look good, and not in the least hazardous (except perhaps to people who think anything with calories is hazardous.)
Old 20 January 2018, 05:25 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post

Is the U.S. the only country that includes height and weight on the driver's license? I know Switzerland is unusual due to the lack of expiration date (makes renting cars interesting), but I've only had a driver's license in the U.S. and here.
My Alberta, Canada licence has eye colour, height, hair colour, and weight. I have to renew mine every two years.

As an aside, years ago I went in to renew my licence and they up date the info at each renewal. The woman behind the counter asked height and weight, and then wanted to know my hair colour and waited while I answered. Next was my eye colour. I told her my eyes sort of switched between slate grey and blue. She asked my what colour they were today. I quietly answered, "You're the one looking at them." "Right," she said and wrote down green.
Old 20 January 2018, 09:47 PM

Florida DLs only include height, which makes sense as it's the only thing that isn't easy to change. Our licenses are good for 10 years.
Old 20 January 2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I know Switzerland is unusual due to the lack of expiration date (makes renting cars interesting), but I've only had a driver's license in the U.S. and here.
Neither of my driver licenses issued in Germany or Morocco have expiration dates.

In fact, both are old enough that they are manually typed and the photo is attached to the tri-fold card.
Old 20 January 2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Florida DLs only include height, which makes sense as it's the only thing that isn't easy to change. Our licenses are good for 10 years.

I think the ten year renewal cycle might happen only under certain birthdate and driver license initial issue date combinations.

My youngest just got her first Florida driver license and it is not good for ten years, but a expires on a ten year multiple of her birth year and expires on the birthday of that multiple year. That gives her a valid license for a few months under nine years.

Mine is even stranger. It was issued in 2013, expiration on birthday in 2022. It had a replacement date in 2016, due to a change of address, and that replacement did not extend the expiration date on my birthday in 2022. Interestingly, 2022 has no ten year relationship with my birth year and the 2013 renewal gave me a validity period of also just under nine years.

Daughter's new license now has her photo in three places.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/driver-licenses-id-cards/newdl/

Last edited by UrbanLegends101; 20 January 2018 at 11:13 PM. Reason: clarified comment.
Old 20 January 2018, 11:18 PM

I was mistaken. A Florida license is good for 8 years, not 10.
Old 20 January 2018, 11:20 PM

My Illinois license has height, weight, and eye and hair color. It's good for four years - however they offer renewal by mail, usually if you've been a safe driver. You'd get the forms sent to you in the mail, fill them out, and you'd get a sticker to put on the back stating it's good for 4 years on from the expiration date on the front. I did this at once, which made things interesting because I'd moved like three times in the interim so the address was well out of date. Plus, any time you'd show it for ID purposes there'd be an issue because people would refuse whatever it was you were trying to do (board an airplane, buy a six pack of Old Style, etc.) because your license was expired. Police even did this.

Currently, if you renew by mail they just send you a new card with your existing photo on it, and the expiration dates updated. Which means that the photo on my current license is now six years old, and shows me with very different glasses and hair. On the plus side I kept the old license, which I take with me when I ride my bicycle, just so I have an ID on me and don't have to worry about losing my valid one. I should just get an ID card and be done with it.
Old 20 January 2018, 11:25 PM

My California license has height, weight, gender, eye color, and hair color. Pretty much all of that was self-reported, and I only had to report it when I got my first license when I moved here 13 years ago. When I renewed it, there was a box to check to indicate if there have been any changes since you last renewed, but that seemed more about things that would actually affect your ability to drive a car, like changes in vision.

ETA: And like like Roadsterboy said about Illinois, here renewal can be done entirely online or by mail, and they send you a new license with your old picture and height, weight, etc. on it.

ETA2: Related to DLs, with the new federal "Real ID" requirements, a lot of people have been going to the DMV to get new IDs that comply with the new rules. But it looks like the rules don't actually go into effect until 2020, and my license expires in 2019, so I might as well just wait until I renew it. I think they're valid for 5 years here, BTW.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 20 January 2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 20 January 2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Is the U.S. the only country that includes height and weight on the driver's license?
My EU driving licence (which I have despite not really being able to drive, and despite living in a country that's not going to be in the EU for much longer) doesn't include either.

It has a date of birth and an address (which is incorrect on mine, despite my attempt to get it updated when I moved to my current flat - apparently the DVLA can't process postcodes properly), but apart from the photo, that's it for personal information.
Old 21 January 2018, 01:19 AM

Icon95

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
TrishDaDish, why would anybody have to be brave to try butter tarts?
I dunno why, I tell people what Ma says - they taste like the filling in pecan pie - but they just crumble at the thought of trying anything new. More for me when we leave, I say.

I made 2 dozen tarts, and one dozen didn't come out right - the filling overflowed more than usual and wrecked the crust, making it stick to the pan. Ma's solution is to put them in cupcake papers and for whatever the reason, sprinkle powdered sugar on them. (Because they're not sweet enough?)

I had plenty of leftover dough, so I told Ma I'd make cinnamon swirls with it, and she got excited and took over saying that'll be good for church too, when I meant it to be a home treat.

Now I'm covered in flour and just want to miss Svenghoolie and go to bed.
Old 21 January 2018, 02:01 AM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishDaDish View Post
I must make two dozen butter tarts today for a church meeting tomorrow. I didn't offer to do this. someone just ordered me to do it. I think because she likes butter tarts, not because the congregation does. (Very few are brave enough o try them.)

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't feel like baking, and now I have to bake a buttload today.
Ah, memories of my youth. Can't stand'em myself, but everyone around me liked them. Grandma used to make them all the time.

I can still smell them. Great smell, horrible feeling in the mouth, to me.

Thanks for the great trip down memory lane, Trish!
Old 21 January 2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
TrishDaDish, why would anybody have to be brave to try butter tarts?
Punishment from the queen of hearts?
Old 21 January 2018, 08:42 PM

Renewing my license sneaks up on me since I passed my test months after I turned 17. I actually look nice in my current photo and hope they won't make me change it again next time. Though I guess it's also kind of cool to have the timeline of license pictures from start to finish, since I don't have pictures of myself taken (official or casual) often otherwise.
Old 21 January 2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I was mistaken. A Florida license is good for 8 years, not 10.
Yes, I found that, as well, in some references, but I think it is 8 years plus the months in the next year to make the license expires on the birthday of the driver.

In the case of my daughter's DL expiration, I think it just worked out to expire on the multiple of 10 years of her birth year.
Old 22 January 2018, 12:48 AM

I've applied for an apprenticeship which would be ideal for me and would include training for the kind of career that I've dreamed of for several years but always felt excluded from due to lack of qualifications.

I've been shortlisted, but I'm trying not to get excited because when I do I also get ridiculously stressed out.

Better not to think about it at all!

But if I do think about it, I have to remind myself that if I don't get it then the opportunity is left open for me to respond to the offer for a volunteering opportunity I applied for at the same time which is also pretty exciting and exactly the kind of thing I want to do.

I have options, people!
Old 22 January 2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
My EU driving licence (which I have despite not really being able to drive, and despite living in a country that's not going to be in the EU for much longer) doesn't include either.
My german driver licence (which has the EU-Flag on it, but doesn't seem to be the same one as Richard's) has neither height, nor weight, nor an adress. It only has my picture and the date and place of birth. It's valid indefinitly.

My ID card (Personalausweis), which I'm required to have by law and which is the main form of identification here, has my height and eye-color (both self-reported) and my adress. It's valid for ten years (and in my case has to be renewt next year at the latest).
Old 22 January 2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
My german driver licence (which has the EU-Flag on it, but doesn't seem to be the same one as Richard's) has neither height, nor weight, nor an adress.
Mine's got an EU flag in the top left corner with GB written in the middle of the stars. When these were introduced everybody referred to them as "the EU licences" but the most significant change over the old paper ones was the photo. (You also get a paper counterpart, which I think still technically counts as the legal licence).

I don't know how much of it is actually part of an EU standard, though. It might be like the passports where Leavers were all "Hooray, we can have blue passports again! Even though the old ones may not have been as black as a priest's socks, but they were certainly very very very very very very dark blue, and nothing like the colour of this new mock-up!" and the EU said "Er, you realise that passport colour isn't an EU standard and you could have changed it any time you liked, don't you?"