snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 19 September 2018, 07:36 AM

6. In a nutritional context, cholecalciferol and ergocalciferol are often labelled with what letter of the alphabet?

My only guess this week: D (as in vitamine D)
Old 19 September 2018, 12:46 PM

1. Maddux.

2. Harp?

3. Sears.

4. Ford.

5. Van Damme.

6. Don't know.

7. No idea.
Old 25 September 2018, 01:02 PM

Ken Jennings quotes "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" (a sentence fragment I never thought I'd type) by saying:

This is my happening and it freaks me out! Welcome, one and all, to the 637th and latest installment of Tuesday Trivia.

So, here we go ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. In baseball, throwing a complete game shut-out in less than 100 pitches is an accomplishment named for what Cubs and Braves great, who did it thirteen times?
This is sometimes called a "Maddux," in honor of Hall of Famer Greg Maddux. After I ran this question, I got an email from baseball writer Jason Lukehart, who coined the "Maddux" term, asking if he could sign up for the quiz. This is how I build up readership, one human being at a time. Keep an eye out for a question about YOU!

2. What was, for decades, the only acceptable instrument for women to play in an orchestra, with the result that 95% of performers today are still female?
Every major American orchestra was a total sausage-fest until 1930, when Leopold Stokowski hired harpist Edna Phillips to play with the Philadelphia Orchestra. The "ethereal" and "angelic" qualities of the harp lent themselves to common (but PROBLEMATIC!) ideas at the time about the talents and potential of women artists.

3. Allstate, Discover Card, and Lands' End are all brands that were founded and spun off from what once-mighty American company?
Allstate used to be a Sears brand, weirdly. Now even "Sears" is barely a Sears brand.

4. As a result of his first major act in office, who became the only sitting U.S. president to testify before a congressional hearing?
In October 1974, Gerald Ford agreed to testify to the House Judiciary Submommittee about his controversial decision to pardon Richard Nixon.

5. What future star was fired from the title role in 1987's Predator because he wanted the action scenes to have more kickboxing?
Jean-Claude Van Damme only wanted to be an alien if the alien could kickbox. He had his principles. And really, who can blame him?

6. In a nutritional context, cholecalciferol and ergocalciferol are often labelled with what letter of the alphabet?
Those vitamins help the body absorb calcium, which is why they're often added to fortify milk. It's Vitamin D.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these world leaders? Jean-Bertrand Aristide, Stanley Baldwin, Sirimavo Bandaranaike, Silvio Berlusconi, William Lyon Mackenzie King, Georgios Papandreou, Shimon Peres, Nawaz Sharif.
There are no U.S. presidents on this list, though Grover Cleveland came closest. These world leaders were all heads of their government on three non-consecutive occasions.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What's the name for species of the woodpecker family that primarily feed on the fluids of trees, not insects?

2. "Anna O," "Wolf Man," "Dora," and "Little Hans" are the aliases of people best known for their association with what man?

3. In a reference to his mega-hit 2004 album, what country star's fanbase is often called No Shoes Nation?

4. What 1960s CBS TV show was supposedly located outside the real-life Bavarian town of Hammelburg?

5. What diacritic mark in many European languages looks like ^, the caret symbol?

6. In 2007, Purdue Pharma paid a $600 million settlement for what brand name drug, a key factor in the U.S. opioid epidemic?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous paintings? Christina's World, Landscape with Polyphemus, Nighthawks, The Potato Eaters, The Rokeby Venus, The Runaway, The Stone Breakers, Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog.

Enjoy!
Old 25 September 2018, 01:07 PM

Whalephant

#1 is sapsucker.

#4- Hogan's Heroes?
Old 25 September 2018, 01:16 PM

1. Sapsuckers.

2. Is that Hitler? I feel like I should know it but can't remember...

3, 4 - no idea.

5. It's called a circumflex.

6. Oxycontin I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous paintings? Christina's World, Landscape with Polyphemus, Nighthawks, The Potato Eaters, The Rokeby Venus, The Runaway, The Stone Breakers, Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog.
Is "Nighthawks" the same as "Nighthawks in a diner"? Hmm, of the ones I can picture, they all have a figure in them who you only see from behind (i.e. the back of the subject's head, not their face). I don't know if that applies to all of them, though...
Old 25 September 2018, 01:28 PM

1. What's the name for species of the woodpecker family that primarily feed on the fluids of trees, not insects? sapsucker

2. "Anna O," "Wolf Man," "Dora," and "Little Hans" are the aliases of people best known for their association with what man? Sigmund Freud

3. In a reference to his mega-hit 2004 album, what country star's fanbase is often called No Shoes Nation? WAG - Blake Shelton?

4. What 1960s CBS TV show was supposedly located outside the real-life Bavarian town of Hammelburg? Hogan's Heroes?

5. What diacritic mark in many European languages looks like ^, the caret symbol? circumflex

6. In 2007, Purdue Pharma paid a $600 million settlement for what brand name drug, a key factor in the U.S. opioid epidemic? Oxycontin?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous paintings? Christina's World, Landscape with Polyphemus, Nighthawks, The Potato Eaters, The Rokeby Venus, The Runaway, The Stone Breakers, Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog. I think Richard W's got it - subject seen from the back
Old 25 September 2018, 01:52 PM

2. "Anna O," "Wolf Man," "Dora," and "Little Hans" are the aliases of people best known for their association with what man?

These are all patients of Siegmund Freud.

4. What 1960s CBS TV show was supposedly located outside the real-life Bavarian town of Hammelburg?

I wouldn't know a US TV show from before I was born, but Hammelburg is home to a military training area that might at that time be used by the US troops. Does that help?

5. What diacritic mark in many European languages looks like ^, the caret symbol?

The accent circonflex (spelling?)

I know Nighthawks and The Potato Eaters, but have no idea what they have in common. Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog is even shown in the Hamburger Kunsthalle. It has just recently returned from being exihited elsewhere (I don't know where). I'll go for: all these paintings have recently been together in one exhibition.

ETA: What Richard and musicgeek suggest is true for the "Wanderer" as well.
Old 25 September 2018, 02:15 PM

The ones I can picture without looking them up are Christina's World, The Wanderer..., Nighthawks, and (I think) The Rokeby Venus, although less sure of that one. (I think the only one I've seen in person is Christina's World, in the Museum of Modern Art in New York).
Old 25 September 2018, 03:25 PM

Glasses At least one...

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What's the name for species of the woodpecker family that primarily feed on the fluids of trees, not insects?
I believe these would be the sapsuckers. Can't think of any other reason for the name.
Quote:

Freud? Either that or the Wikileaks guy.
Quote:

3. In a reference to his mega-hit 2004 album, what country star's fanbase is often called No Shoes Nation?
Blake Shelton. I really don't have any idea, because while I do listen to country music (and almost every other kind), I never pay attention to the names of albums.
Quote:

Hogan's Heroes?
Quote:

I have no idea what its name is. I know a number of things that it's not, though.
Quote:

6. In 2007, Purdue Pharma paid a $600 million settlement for what brand name drug, a key factor in the U.S. opioid epidemic?
Oxycontin or however it's spelled.
Quote:

I've seen CW and PE, don't know the others. I'm going to say the focal character is reaching for something. ETA, Richard's theory works for the Potato Eaters, too.

Seaboe
Old 26 September 2018, 12:00 PM

Sigmund Freud

Circumflex
Old 26 September 2018, 03:30 PM

1. Sapsucker?

2. Freud.

3. No idea.

4. Hogan's Heroes.

5. Circumflex.

6. Oxycontin.

7. I can only visualize a couple of these off hand, so I have no idea.
Old 02 October 2018, 01:20 PM

Hi, all. Sorry to be a bit late today. Let's go with ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

They are called sapsuckers, for obvious reasons. It struck me like a bolt of lightning a few days ago that I really should have turned this question around so the answer was "woodpeckers." I immediately saw with cold certainty that that other version of the question would have been far, far superior...but the inspiration arrived too late. Too late.

Sigmund Freud used to give the high-profile patients in his case studies cool nicknames, to protect their identities. Or in hopes of launching them on the Viennese pro wrestling circuit!

You can actually get kicked out of a Kenny Chesney concert if you wear shoes.

That's where Stalag 13--both a real-life POW camp and the setting for Hogan's Heroes--was located.

It's called a circumflex. I hope French isn't your trivia bête noire.

Purdue Pharma was super zealous about marketing its newly patented wonder drug OxyContin. I haven't been following the news for a few decades, but I'm sure that all went great and had no down sides.

All these paintings use the artistic device that the Germans call Rückenfigur. That just means that the title character (or at least one of the title characters) appears with their back(s) to the viewer, so we can't see their face(s). I did an "album cover" variant of this question a couple years ago, I just realized. Earthling by David Bowie is Rückenfigur!

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. The Indian city of Meerut is famous for producing what piece of sporting equipment, out of local Kashmir willow?

2. What would you find on the surface of Saturn's moon Enceladus that gives it the highest albedo in the Solar System?

3. What 1944 thriller, in which Ingrid Bergman plays a woman menaced by her scheming husband, gave us a modern term for a type of psychological abuse?

4. What dog breed provides at least 70 percent of all guide dogs for the blind?

5. With its lighting and costume changes that advance from dawn to night, Ponchielli's most famous ballet is called the ~Dance of~ what?

6. Because of his father's job, who was the only U.S. vice president not born in one of the 13 colonies or 50 states?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these landmarks? The Aswan Museum, Historic Jamestown, the Jefferson Memorial, Montreal Olympic Stadium, Munich's Deutsches Museum, the National Assembly of South Korea, Notre Dame Cathedral, the Runnymede site of the Magna Carta signing.

Enjoy!
Old 02 October 2018, 01:38 PM

1. The Indian city of Meerut is famous for producing what piece of sporting equipment, out of local Kashmir willow?

Cricket bats

3. What 1944 thriller, in which Ingrid Bergman plays a woman menaced by her scheming husband, gave us a modern term for a type of psychological abuse?

Gas light

Alsatian or Labrador retriever

5. With its lighting and costume changes that advance from dawn to night, Ponchielli's most famous ballet is called the ~Dance of~ what?

the hours
Old 02 October 2018, 01:57 PM

Lacrosse rackets

2. What would you find on the surface of Saturn's moon Enceladus that gives it the highest albedo in the Solar System?

Frozen carbondioxide

The term is "gaslighting", so I'll go ahead and say the thriller is called "Gaslight".

Deutscher Schäferhund / German Shepherd

The Dance of Life.

6. Because of his father's job, who was the only U.S. vice president not born in one of the 13 colonies or 50 states?

The second Bush's vice president was born in the Panama Canal Zone, but what was his name again?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these landmarks? The Aswan Museum, Historic Jamestown, the Jefferson Memorial, Montreal Olympic Stadium, Munich's Deutsches Museum, the National Assembly of South Korea, Notre Dame Cathedral, the Runnymede site of the Magna Carta signing.

They all were among the first UNESCO World Heritage Sites for their respective country.

I don't know whether any of these answers is correct, but for the first time since whenever I've at least got a guess for every question.

Last edited by Don Enrico; 02 October 2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02 October 2018, 03:52 PM

Glasses

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

I'd say tennis rackets, except that they're metal, more often than not. How about jai lai baskets?
Quote:

Ice? I'm trying to remember what albedo means in astronomical terms.
Quote:

Gaslight. Someone famous played her husband, but I can't remember who. He was famous for playing gangsters.
Quote:

German Shepherd?
Quote:

Hippos and ostriches and crocodiles, oh my! This is the Dance of the Hours.
Quote:

I suppose this would be easier to answer if I knew more vice presidents. Someone whose father was an ambassador, I assume.
Quote:

Something about flooding?

Seaboe
Old 02 October 2018, 04:35 PM

I know a few more this week - I was doing well until the second half, at least.

1. Cricket bats.

2. Ice (Which might need to be more specific - I think it's frozen ammonia rather than water ice.)

3. Gaslighting. (eta - I put the name of the abuse rather than the play - d'oh! But that one anyway).

4. Labrador retriever.

This is the point at which I stop doing so well!

5. The Sun?

6. I should know but can't remember - the Panama canal zone guy - completely forgotten who that was, though! I want to say Al Gore but I thought it was a Republican.

Quote:
Well I've just come back from Munich and saw the outside of the Deutsches Museum from a bus... it's a museum of science and technology if that helps. The tour information mentioned that it was the biggest museum of its kind in the world, but I can't see how that would apply to all the others. Of the others I've seen or visited, Notre Dame isn't the biggest cathedral, and Runnymede isn't the biggest field!

Hmm, one thing that applies to the Runnymede site that's unusual but that clearly applies to at least one of the others of those is that it includes a memorial to a US president - Kennedy in the case of Runnymede. That must also apply to the Jefferson Memorial... but there must be lots of those if it's the only criterion. I don't know where the Jefferson Memorial is, but my guess is they all include memorials to US presidents but are outside the USA.

(eta again) D'oh again! The second part of my guess doesn't apply to Historic Jamestown. But if it's just the first part, there must surely be loads of those - and it can't be my guess but incorporated into an unrelated site because the Jefferson Memorial is explicitly called that. Maybe we can combine my and Don Enrico's answers: UNESCO World Heritage sites that include memorials to US Presidents?

Last edited by Richard W; 02 October 2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02 October 2018, 04:37 PM

Don Enrico and Richard, I think you're thinking of John McCain, but he was never VP. Cheney was Bush's VP.
Old 02 October 2018, 04:49 PM

1. India, sporting equipment made from wood - got to be cricket bat.

2. I'm assuming the surface is covered in ice, although maybe not water ice.

3. Gaslight

4. I would bet Golden Retrievers.

5. The Hours?

6. I am absolutely positive about this one. Al Gore was born in the District of Columbia, which is neither a colony or one of the 50 states.

7. I have no idea.
Old 02 October 2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Don Enrico and Richard, I think you're thinking of ...
You're right, I was - I even thought "wasn't it John McCain, but I don't think he's been VP." (eta) Ooh, it looks like my actual guess was right but for the wrong reasons, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Something about flooding?
That's not a bad idea either - all the ones I know of are right next to rivers (Notre Dame and the Deutsche museum are both on islands), and Runnymede is a flood plain.
Old 02 October 2018, 05:09 PM

Icon05

I think I can make educated guesses about most of these.

Cricket bats

Water ice

Gaslight

German Shepherd

the Hours

Rockefeller?

I'm not sure why, but I'm going to say they're all on privately owned land.