snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 08 October 2018, 08:43 PM

Glasses

I will have to watch that again! Similarly, I had a "is that who I think it is?" moment when I spotted Tyne Daly on the Murphy Brown reboot.

BTW, you can stream shows at CBS.com for about two weeks after they have aired -- for free. You don't have to get the pay service unless you want their "premium" shows like the new Trek.

"Superior Donuts" hasn't had a new episode this season yet. It was a midseason replacement last season.

Morning
streams so much she should buy a canoe.
Old 09 October 2018, 01:41 AM

Started Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime today (this has been a weekend of too much free time for me, apparently). Very much enjoying it. Doesn't hurt I just finished The Office (US) and am marveling at the similarities and differences in John Kraskinski's portrayal of the two characters. It is a bit weird, but in a fun way.

I was a fan of most of Clancy's output through the late 90's, but got sidetracked into other stuff. Will likely reread and read the entire Ryan-verse series at some point.
Old 09 October 2018, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
I've watched the first couple of episodes of The Cool Kids. It's a sitcom set in a retirement home, with David Alan Grier, Vicky Lawrence, Martin Mull, and Leslie Jordan. The pilot episode wasn't great, but it looks like they retooled a bit and the second episode was pretty good. Vicky Lawrence and Leslie Jordan are great. Martin Mull is pretty good. Grier is not as good, but that may be the character he is supposed to play.

Is the show great? No, but as far as comedies on TV go right now, it's better than most.
My mom actually met Leslie Jordan once, and he is apparently exactly like he is on TV in real life.
Old 09 October 2018, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
I was a fan of most of Clancy's output through the late 90's, but got sidetracked into other stuff. Will likely reread and read the entire Ryan-verse series at some point.
His actual stuff, or the stuff that other people wrote that got his name slapped on in order to sell it.
Old 09 October 2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
His actual stuff, or the stuff that other people wrote that got his name slapped on in order to sell it.
His actual stuff. Looking at a bibliography, I read his fiction output up to 2000 (The Bear and the Dragon, but not SSN: Strategies for Submarine Warfare). Without Remorse and Rainbow Six kind of turned me off a bit, to the point where it was easy for me to just drop Clancy "temporarily" in favor of whatever was getting my attention at the time. Looks like to complete the Jack Ryan books, I just need to read Red Rabbit. Whew!

I also read his non-fiction Every Man A Tiger, and I'm pretty sure either Armored Cav or else Fighter Wing, but at this remove, almost 20 years later, I can't remember which one, only that I didn't find it that interesting - at least, not as interesting as Every Man A Tiger.

I never had any interest in the "Tom Clancy's Such-and-such", and it looks like there are two Jack Ryan books co-written in the last 6 years, which don't interest me. No idea how good they are, but I don't think I want to read diluted Clancy. Gimme the pure quill
Old 16 October 2018, 03:19 AM

Finished season 2 of Luke Cage; thought it was better than season 1 and I thought season 1 was pretty darned good!

Started season 2 of (the now-cancelled) Iron Fist; looking better than season 1 (not a big hurdle).

Season 3 (or, the REAL season 2) of The Seven Deadly Sins dropped today, but I've only had time to watch the first episode. I am unpleasantly reminded of the likes of Dragonball Z and Yu Yu Hakusho with the sudden burst of Power Level yakkety-yak. Hope it's just a throwaway gag.

Netflix claims there were new episodes of Monty Python's Flying Circus, but it appears to be the same lineup of 45 episodes that my kids and I watched a couple of years ago. And by golly, that's the actual number of episodes produced! Barring two produced in Germany and the various stage shows and movies, there can't be any more episodes, Netflix. What gives?
Old 16 October 2018, 06:28 AM

Season 2 of Luke Cage managed the impressive task of making me interested in what was happening in every scene. There was never a point where I felt like saying "I want to see what someone else is doing instead of this."
Old 17 October 2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Season 3 (or, the REAL season 2) of The Seven Deadly Sins dropped today, but I've only had time to watch the first episode. I am unpleasantly reminded of the likes of Dragonball Z and Yu Yu Hakusho with the sudden burst of Power Level yakkety-yak. Hope it's just a throwaway gag.
I think it is a joke, but the thing that annoys me more is Meliodus's habit of groping Elizabeth all the time. It wasn't funny when the series first came out, and it's a lot worse now.
Old 17 October 2018, 02:00 PM

Watched most of the Good Cop on Netflix. Josh Groban as a never break the rules cop who lives with his father played by Tony Danza. The father is on parole after going to jail for being a bad cop (theft, bribes, beatings, but no murder).

It's not bad....I did watch 9 episodes after all. Josh Groban can act, but his character is so bland. Tony Danza is great. The crimes are usually solved by the rule of 'most famous guest star'.

Tony Danza has sung in it, but Josh Groban has not.
Old 19 October 2018, 01:29 AM

Quote:
I think it is a joke, but the thing that annoys me more is Meliodus's habit of groping Elizabeth all the time. It wasn't funny when the series first came out, and it's a lot worse now.
I gave that, and a lot of anime stereotypical shenanigans, a pass in season 1, because there was something about the show that made me like it despite the abundance of "same old, same old". However, 4 episodes into season 2, the same old has been ramped up, and it has become apparent that "it's over 9,000!!!!" is integral to this season, as the Ten Commandments need to be quantified not only in appearance and action, but in stated Power Level, as being beyond the Seven Deadly Sins. So we can have the obligatory power up stuff for Our Heroes. There have been a few elements that have been interesting, but I am rapidly losing interest in the show.

Dammit.
Old 19 October 2018, 02:21 AM

Yeah, I gave up after the first fight with Gallant.

Oh and according to a spoiler Elizabeth is actually the reincarnation of Meliodus's lover. She was a goddess who fell in love with Meliodus the Demon King and was cursed by her mother the head goddess to continually reincarnate as a human with no memory of being a goddess, and every time she remembers she dies within three days. Also, that's why the goddess wants Van to kill Meliodus.
Old 19 October 2018, 03:00 AM

Just watched the Rookie. I'm a big fan of Nathan Fillion, really liked Castle, so I'm probably the target audience. I think Fillion was great. The woman playing his training officer was good, as was the female rookie. The male training officer was a horrible person, but the guy doing it does it well. But I'm not sold on the show.
I think the duty sergeant vowing to get him is silly, I think they have too many rookies that need to be worked into the show, and I don't really care about the palace intrigue type stuff. I hope the next episode reworks a few things, but I will give it another episode.
Old 21 October 2018, 03:57 PM

Finished season 2 of Iron Fist, which was MUCH better than season 1, and wrapped up with some (in my opinion) excellent story and character developments; it's a real shame there won't be a season 3.

And speaking of which, startling and disappointing news that there won't be a season 3 of Luke Cage, which had a good first season and an even better second season, and concluded with, again, some excellent story and character developments.

Now starting season 3 of Daredevil, with the welcome return of Vincent D'Onofrio as Wilson Fisk. I think that Matt's crisis of faith is being played pretty close to perfectly, too, but I'm only 2 eps in, so we shall see.
Old 22 October 2018, 02:54 PM

I've watched the first two episodes of Titans on DC Universe. We've enjoyed the two episodes we've seen so far, although it isn't quite what I was hoping for. It is an origin story for the team, and it looks like Cyborg isn't part of it, and Beast Boy has only had a few seconds of time. It is basically the Robin meets Raven show at this point.
The acting is good, the fight scenes are well done, and I like the characters for the most part.
Old 22 October 2018, 06:30 PM

Yeah, Cyborg isn't part of Titans because he's now a Justice League member.

Does Raven really look as young on the show as the trailers made her seem?
Old 22 October 2018, 07:14 PM

I've decided that I will be signing up for DC Universe, but I have yet to perform the actual actions to make it so. Soooo lazy.
Old 22 October 2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Cyborg isn't part of Titans because he's now a Justice League member.

Does Raven really look as young on the show as the trailers made her seem?
This is certainly not the "Teen" Titans. Dick Grayson is old enough to be a police detective - certainly somewhere in his 20s. Starfire is also in her 20s, and Hawk and Dove are older than that, probably mid to late 30s. But Raven and Beast Boy are young. It doesn't make it clear, but I'd say Raven is early to mid teens, and Beast Boy is close.

Crius, I enjoy Titans and am glad to have access to some of the older shows, so it's worth it to me, but it actually doesn't fulfill the purpose I got it for. I got it hoping it would be similar to Marvel Unlimited in terms of comics books, and any shows would be a bonus. It isn't even close. The comics selection is limited, and they rotate in and out of being available. If you are getting it for the shows, no problem, it delivers what was advertised.
Old 22 October 2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
Crius, I enjoy Titans and am glad to have access to some of the older shows, so it's worth it to me, but it actually doesn't fulfill the purpose I got it for. I got it hoping it would be similar to Marvel Unlimited in terms of comics books, and any shows would be a bonus. It isn't even close. The comics selection is limited, and they rotate in and out of being available. If you are getting it for the shows, no problem, it delivers what was advertised.
I'm going for the shows. My recent (last 5 or so years) attempts at mainstream comics have left me largely uninterested - I can get the raw info I need from either Wikipedia or the house wikis, and concentrate on the things I know I like, like the Hellboy-universe TPBs. So not much interested in whatever DC comics may be available on the service (but you never know). Thank you for the heads-up, though!
Old 22 October 2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I've decided that I will be signing up for DC Universe, but I have yet to perform the actual actions to make it so. Soooo lazy.
I'm waiting for Young Justice season 3 to get released. Then I'll binge watch it and decide if I'm going to actually bother with anything else.
Old 23 October 2018, 02:08 AM

Quote:
I'm waiting for Young Justice season 3 to get released. Then I'll binge watch it and decide if I'm going to actually bother with anything else.
Probably the spur that will motivate me to actually subscribe. However, I was intrigued by the list of upcoming shows, such as Swamp Thing and Doom Patrol, which I'm willing to give a shot.