5. Solar eclipse.

6. Chuck E. Cheese?

7. All describe dreams.
Old 20 September 2017, 08:49 PM

Baseball

1. Guessing Buddhism.

2. Deplorable?

3. Ides

4. Apollo 13 and a big guess here based upon nothing than a hunch... Philadelphia.

5. Around the moon during a solar eclipse

6. Chuck E Cheese

7. I have absolutely no idea.
Old 20 September 2017, 09:27 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What religion's followers take a vow of ahimsa, meaning non-violence?
Hindu?
Quote:

2. What word was used to describe a best-selling 1980 "Handbook" by Lisa Birnbach as well as the 1986 "Murder" of Jennifer Levin by Robert Chambers?
Preppy
Quote:

3. What ancient Roman observance fell on the thirteenth day of every month, except in March, May, July, and October?
The Ides
Quote:

4. In what two films has Tom Hanks played a former military pilot?
The one last year about the guy who crashed into the Potomac, and the one where he was stranded on a desert island.
Quote:

5. When can one see "Baily's beads," named for the French scientist who explained them?
It's something to do with reflections at the edges of the sun, but I don't remember when you can see them.
Quote:

6. Entertainment is the canonical middle name of what American restaurant mascot?
Chuck E. Cheese, I assume
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these songs? "After the Gold Rush," "A Day in the Life," "Digital Love," "It Ain't Me," "It's the End of the World as We Know It," "La Isla Bonita," "Manic Monday," "Say You Say Me," "The Song Remains the Same," "The Sound of Silence," "Spill the Wine," "Via Chicago."
They all mention writing on walls.
Seaboe
Old 21 September 2017, 08:08 AM

Re question three: The ides of March is on the fifteenth.
Old 21 September 2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
Re question three: The ides of March is on the fifteenth.
Um, you missed part of the question (emphasis mine)
Quote:
3. What ancient Roman observance fell on the thirteenth day of every month, except in March, May, July, and October?
Old 26 September 2017, 10:26 AM

Hello, all. As per Mr. Jennings' request, question 7 is delayed a week. Apart from that one adjustment, here are:

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

Jains are the ones sweeping the ground in front of them and whatnot so they don't even accidentally squish a bug.

2. What word was used to describe a best-selling 1980 "Handbook" by Lisa Birnbach as well as the 1986 "Murder" of Jennifer Levin by Robert Chambers?
The Official Preppy Handbook was a delightful bit of 1980s ephemera. The Preppy Murder...not so much.

The Ides is only observed on the 15th of the month four times a year. Julius Caesar got (un)lucky.

4. In what two films has Tom Hanks played a former military pilot?
Astronaut Jim Lovell, from Apollo 13, was a former Navy test pilot. And Chesley Sullenberger, the title character of Sully, was an Air Force pilot.

5. When can one see "Baily's beads," named for the French scientist who explained them?
This question is one of the worst factual goofs in the eleven-year history of Tuesday Trivia. Baily's beads, the blips of sunlight visible around the moon during a total solar eclipse, are not named after French astronomer Jean Sylvain Bailly, as I implied in the question. They are named for English astronomer Francis Baily.

6. Entertainment is the canonical middle name of what American restaurant mascot?
Chuck Entertainment Cheese evidently shortened his unwieldy name when he got into showbiz.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these songs? "After the Gold Rush," "A Day in the Life," "Digital Love," "It Ain't Me," "It's the End of the World as We Know It," "La Isla Bonita," "Manic Monday," "Say You Say Me," "The Song Remains the Same," "The Sound of Silence," "Spill the Wine," "Via Chicago."
Each song includes lyrics where the singer tells us the content of a dream they had. I guess the inclusion of "A Day in the Life" means that it is now the official position of Tuesday Trivia that the John Lennon portion of the lyrics are the dreams of the McCartney character. I'm okay with that. I also spent WAY too long trying to decide if I think "Downbound Train" qualifies for this list. (Currently leaning no, but there's a case to be made.)

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What president of Roc Nation entertainment once famously said, "I'm not a businessman; I'm a business, man"?

2. The first U.S. postage stamp honoring a black woman featured what figure, whose lifetime overlapped with both Thomas Jefferson's and Ronald Reagan's?

3. What space-saving device, invented by an Irish-American man with a one-room San Francisco apartment, was originally marketed as the "In-a-Door"?

4. Name either of the two trigonometric functions that aren't defined for 0.

5. What actor's only album, inspired by his TV career, was 1975's Grasshopper?

6. What country is home to the famed "snow monkeys," a species of macaque that lives in the coldest climate of any primate but humans?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these countries, listed in this order? Bahamas, Nigeria, Jamaica, Nigeria, China, Australia, Italy, Australia, Canada, Canada, Australia.

Enjoy!
Old 26 September 2017, 10:35 AM

5. What actor's only album, inspired by his TV career, was 1975's Grasshopper? I didn't know he had an album, but this would have to be David Carradine

6. What country is home to the famed "snow monkeys," a species of macaque that lives in the coldest climate of any primate but humans? Japan
Old 26 September 2017, 10:42 AM

no. 6. is Japan

No idea for the others.
Old 26 September 2017, 11:50 AM

1. Don't know.

2. Harriet Tubman.

3. Murphy bed?

4. Cotangent and cosecant.

5. David Carradine.

6. Japan.

7. Don't know.
Old 26 September 2017, 01:11 PM

2. The first U.S. postage stamp honoring a black woman featured what figure, whose lifetime overlapped with both Thomas Jefferson's and Ronald Reagan's?

Harriet Tubman?

3. What space-saving device, invented by an Irish-American man with a one-room San Francisco apartment, was originally marketed as the "In-a-Door"?

Murphy bed.

6. What country is home to the famed "snow monkeys," a species of macaque that lives in the coldest climate of any primate but humans?

Tibet?
Old 26 September 2017, 01:22 PM

Baseball

1. I'm going with the boxing promoter with the hair. Just can't remember his name.

2. Beyond my knowledge.

3. Irish, sounds like a Murphy Bed.

4. Tangent is one. Other is... cotangent?

5. David Carradine

6. I'm thinking of the mountains of Peru

7. Order in which Former President Jimmy Carter visited the world.
Old 26 September 2017, 01:55 PM

UEL, for number 1 you're thinking of Don King. But I'm pretty sure it's a hip-hop star. I'll go with Kanye West thought it could be P-Diddy.
Old 26 September 2017, 02:50 PM

Glasses

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What president of Roc Nation entertainment once famously said, "I'm not a businessman; I'm a business, man"?
Dr. Dre. I actually have no idea, but that sounds like something he'd say.
Quote:

Harriet Tubman, as played by Cicily Tyson (joking).
Quote:

Murphy bed.
Quote:

Co-sine
Quote:

Keith Carradine ETA: Arghh. Wrong brother, darn it.
Quote:

Patagonia, because I like the sound of it (although I'm not sure it's actually a country).
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these countries, listed in this order? Bahamas, Nigeria, Jamaica, Nigeria, China, Australia, Italy, Australia, Canada, Canada, Australia.
Winners of the Miss Universe contest.

Seaboe
Old 26 September 2017, 02:56 PM

Ambulance

Quote:

1. Jay-Z
2. Harriet Tubman?
3. Murphy bed
4. Tangent?
5. David Carradine
6. Japan
7. No idea
Old 26 September 2017, 03:27 PM

Japan

As for last week's

If I understand it correctly it's true for Buddhists and Hindus as well.
Old 26 September 2017, 03:54 PM

1. What president of Roc Nation entertainment once famously said, "I'm not a businessman; I'm a business, man"? Pretty sure this is Jay-Z

2. The first U.S. postage stamp honoring a black woman featured what figure, whose lifetime overlapped with both Thomas Jefferson's and Ronald Reagan's? Harriet Tubman

3. What space-saving device, invented by an Irish-American man with a one-room San Francisco apartment, was originally marketed as the "In-a-Door"? Murphy Bed?

5. What actor's only album, inspired by his TV career, was 1975's Grasshopper? David Carradine

6. What country is home to the famed "snow monkeys," a species of macaque that lives in the coldest climate of any primate but humans? Tibet?
Old 05 October 2017, 04:15 PM

Psychic

Haven't seen the new questions posted yet....

Roc Nation was founded by Jay-Z, who rapped that quote in his verse of Kanye West's "Diamonds from Sierra Leone."

Harriet Tubman lived to be 91 years old.

Without William Lawrence Murphy, we never would have had the Murphy bed.

For the function to be undefined, it has to have zero in the denominator. Since the sine of 0 is zero, these are the two functions that have the sine in the denominator: cosecant or cotangent. If you didn't understand any of that, that's fine. Just move on to the next question, which has kung fu.

David Carradine was trying to remind prospective music buyers of his hit TV show Kung Fu, where has was often called "grasshopper."

The snow monkeys are found in Japan. Or any other country where you procure a monkey and then throw it into a snowdrift.

These are all the (non-American) countries to have produced an #1 pick in the NBA draft. The list starts out with Mychal Thompson, Hakeem Olajuwon, and Patrick Ewing, but lately it's all Canadians...and Australians, the Canadians of the Southern Hemisphere!

I have adjusted the Q7 so that it's offset by a week.

1. The 1854-55 Siege of Sevastopol occupied a full year of what war?

2. How many digits are in most U.S. passport numbers?

3. What ginger-beer-and-lime cocktail, usually served in a copper mug, is named for the possible provenance of its third ingredient, vodka?

4. In a chemical reaction where one substance loses electrons through oxidation, the other will gain electrons, through a complementary process called what?

5. What organization's adventures were most famously described in the 1924 novel Beau Geste?

6. The soccer kick sometimes called an "overhead" or "scissors" kick is more commonly known by the name of what everyday object?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these Shakespeare plays, and no others? The Comedy of Errors, The Merchant of Venice, Othello, Pericles, The Tempest, Twelfth Night, The Winter's Tale.
Old 05 October 2017, 04:19 PM

Icon401

Quote:
1. The 1854-55 Siege of Sevastopol occupied a full year of what war?

2. How many digits are in most U.S. passport numbers?

3. What ginger-beer-and-lime cocktail, usually served in a copper mug, is named for the possible provenance of its third ingredient, vodka?

4. In a chemical reaction where one substance loses electrons through oxidation, the other will gain electrons, through a complementary process called what?

5. What organization's adventures were most famously described in the 1924 novel Beau Geste?

6. The soccer kick sometimes called an "overhead" or "scissors" kick is more commonly known by the name of what everyday object?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these Shakespeare plays, and no others? The Comedy of Errors, The Merchant of Venice, Othello, Pericles, The Tempest, Twelfth Night, The Winter's Tale.
1. Crimean War
2. I have a passport but I don't want to cheat so.... 12?
3. Moscow Mule
4. Deoxydation?
5. I don't know, guessing Three Musketeers
6. Bicycle kick
7. I've seen the answer so I'm gonna pass
Old 05 October 2017, 04:38 PM

4. In a chemical reaction where one substance loses electrons through oxidation, the other will gain electrons, through a complementary process called what? Reduction

6. The soccer kick sometimes called an "overhead" or "scissors" kick is more commonly known by the name of what everyday object? Scissors aren't an everyday object?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these Shakespeare plays, and no others? The Comedy of Errors, The Merchant of Venice, Othello, Pericles, The Tempest, Twelfth Night, The Winter's Tale. They don't take place in England/UK/Commonwealth?
Old 05 October 2017, 05:55 PM

Thanks for posting them.

5. What organization's adventures were most famously described in the 1924 novel Beau Geste? French Foreign Legion?

GenYus, what about Romeo and Juliet?