snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Techno-Babble

Old 25 December 2015, 11:35 PM

Default Star Wars fans and video game geeks 'more likely to be narcissists', study finds

Those who take part in “geeky events” are more likely to have an “elevated grandiose” level of narcissism, according to a study conducted by the University of Georgia. Psychologists examined the personality traits of those who turn to “geek culture”, developing a Geek Culture Engagement Scale and a Geek Identity Scale to help quantify the figures. It was found that those who scored highly on both scales were more likely to narcissists.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...-a6785891.html
Old 26 December 2015, 12:43 AM

Nonsense! I'm a big Star Wars fan and consider myself fairly immersed in "geek culture," and I am far, far to perfect to be a narcissist. Such flaws are beneath me, and are afflicted upon the squirming masses under my feet.
Old 26 December 2015, 05:52 AM

Quote:
The research was conducted across 2,354 people attending a science fiction and fantasy convention in Georgia.
It was conducted on people at a sci fi convention? That's already a very high baseline level of "engagement". I like some of that stuff, but have never considered going to events for it. So their study is basically saying that of people who are way, way into something, the subset who are way, way, way into it are a bit more neurotic than the ones who are just way, way into it?
Old 26 December 2015, 01:35 PM

Errata, the methodology does rather sound like an excuse for the study team to attend DragonCon, call it 'research' and probably get a government grant for it.
Old 26 December 2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
It was conducted on people at a sci fi convention? That's already a very high baseline level of "engagement". I like some of that stuff, but have never considered going to events for it. So their study is basically saying that of people who are way, way into something, the subset who are way, way, way into it are a bit more neurotic than the ones who are just way, way into it?
Not to mention that people attending a convention doesn’t necessarily equate to Star Wars fans or video game geeks - convention attendees cover a huge spectrum of people. At least some of the attendees may be the spouses of fans who may or may not have the same level of enthusiasm as their husbands or wives. Not to mention that some conventions house other events that draw more mainstream interests. Comi-con is a great example of a mainstream event that draws in huge swaths of people that have a variety of interests not directly related to comic books.

Not to mention that I an highly dubious of anybody that tries to lump people into an artificial group like “geek culture” much less qualify such a group.
Old 26 December 2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
Nonsense! I'm a big Star Wars fan and consider myself fairly immersed in "geek culture," and I am far, far too perfect to be a narcissist. Such flaws are beneath me, and are afflicted upon the squirming masses under my feet.
*ahem*

~Psihala
(* )
Old 27 December 2015, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Errata, the methodology does rather sound like an excuse for the study team to attend DragonCon, call it 'research' and probably get a government grant for it.
Wow; talk about your baseless (abbr. BS) stereotypes.
Old 27 December 2015, 05:34 PM

Anyone willing to dress up in weird costumes in public has to be a little narcissist because it helps dealing with not being normal. Con goers also tend to be eccentric which are also a little bit narcissist.

I'm very prod to not be normal and attend a few of these sci-fi convents every year.
Old 27 December 2015, 06:26 PM

Narcissism in the clinical sense is not just conceit or self-involvement. It also involves a sense of entitlement, a lack of empathy, and a consequent willingness to exploit and mistreat others.

I share the misgivings others have expressed about the methodology and significance of this study. I'm also concerned that shallow reporting of it will foster and/or encourage misunderstanding and trivialization of narcissism. I'd almost rather people not talk about it.
Old 27 December 2015, 07:59 PM

No

After a year of dealing with GamerGate, I can absolutely believe this study is true.
Old 27 December 2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
After a year of dealing with GamerGate, I can absolutely believe this study is true.
This study (I believe) was trying to compare Star War Fan’s and video game geeks with the general population to show correlation. Thats what people are disputing. Gamer gate wasn’t a phenomenon that was attempted to be compared with the general populace, it was an exposure of something within the gaming culture. I have no doubt that similar sexist behavior in other aspects of society that is typically male dominated.

I don’t think the comparison is apt.
Old 29 December 2015, 01:48 AM

I'm almost certain the next thing from the source will be something about how video games force people to be racist/sexist/a jerk in general, and must therefore be heavily regulated to remove anything the authors don't like.
Old 29 December 2015, 03:54 AM

Icon95

And the saddest thing is that, even if that happens, we'll still have to hear exaggerated melodrama from your gamergate victim complex in every unrelated thread.
Old 29 December 2015, 05:53 AM

Throw Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
I don’t think the comparison is apt.
Sorry, I was just being flippant. Probably should have been more obviously snarky because looking at the post now, it's easy to think I was being serious.
Old 29 December 2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
And the saddest thing is that, even if that happens, we'll still have to hear exaggerated melodrama from your gamergate victim complex in every unrelated thread.
It's actually possible to be suspicious of the motives of those who conduct a study without being part of gamergate. Which I have never been involved in, once again. Nor have I ever been a Communist or witch.
Old 29 December 2015, 10:20 PM

Ganz didn't say you were involved in it. He used "gamergate" as an adjective to describe your victim complex -- which you helpfully displayed in your response.