snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 16 March 2013, 01:38 AM

Icon13 North Dakota Senate approves "heartbeat" abortion ban

The North Dakota Senate has approved what would be the most restrictive abortion law in the United States, a measure banning the procedure in most cases once a fetal heartbeat can be detected, as early as six weeks.

http://news.yahoo.com/north-dakota-s...195819350.html
Old 16 March 2013, 02:27 AM

Quote:
The "heartbeat" bill provides exceptions if an abortion would prevent the death or irreversible impairment of a pregnant woman but no exceptions for rape.
Excuse me. I must go vomit profusely now.
Old 16 March 2013, 11:57 AM

No worries, the female body has ways to shut that whole process down if it is a legitimate rape...I mean if you get pregnant you probably gave pre-consent, or asked for it by dressing provocatively.
Old 16 March 2013, 04:13 PM

All joking aside, thanks to the various responses to Rep. Akin, we now know a substantial number of politicians (at least one of whom is also a doctor) believe that tripe. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a number of the legislators who voted for this are among them.
Old 16 March 2013, 06:27 PM

WHAT IS THIS???
Are these states in competition as to which one hates women the most? I wish I could say something more comprehensive, but I already wasted my words on the thread about Arkansas.
Old 16 March 2013, 07:21 PM

I think they've finally come to the realization that they're losing traction in the fight to treat gays, blacks, and other minorities as second class citizens. But, there are more women than men, so they're free game, right? *headdesk*
Old 21 March 2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLockeout View Post
Excuse me. I must go vomit profusely now.
To be fair, if one is of the type that abortion is murder, no exceptions should be made.

Now I'm not saying this is right, but at least they're being consistent.
Old 21 March 2013, 06:21 PM

No, they're not, because the law does include exceptions -- just not one for rape.
Old 21 March 2013, 06:22 PM

What I really don't get is why anti-choicers want to grant a fetus rights that no other human would EVER have? What other human gets to attach themselves to another individual's body and leech off of it and use it without consent? If a born human tried to do that, killing that human would certainly be justified.
Old 21 March 2013, 06:34 PM

They would totally give another human those rights if that human attached themselves specifically to a slutty slutty woman who had teh dirty wrong seks without being married and fully prepared to take the consequences, which include having another human attach themselves to her for 9 months.
Old 21 March 2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
What I really don't get is why anti-choicers want to grant a fetus rights that no other human would EVER have?
This is the part that really sticks in my craw, too. Even around here, tempers flare whenever we discuss making organ donation the default with an opt-out provision, because our bodies are so sacrosanct that taking a part of them without permission after we're dead, even to save the life of another, is unacceptable to many.

In my darker moments I think this preference for embryos/fetuses over women reflects not only a deeply-seated misogyny, but a general misanthropy as well (after all, about half the embryos/fetuses are female too.) It's as if you've decided, without knowing anything about them, that all the women alive today deserve so little respect that the state must step between them and their doctors. The only folks who matter are those who can't have done anything wrong because they've never done anything at all.
Old 21 March 2013, 09:58 PM

This law would be incompatible with Roe v. Wade, presumably?
Old 21 March 2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htonl View Post
Until a court says that it is unconstitutional then it is the law of the land. I don't see anything special about this that would go against previous court cases.
Old 21 March 2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
It's as if you've decided, without knowing anything about them, that all the women alive today deserve so little respect that the state must step between them and their doctors.
Our uterus are more regulated than our guns. Something is really wrong with that.
Old 21 March 2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htonl View Post
yes. the point of laws such as this are to a) make pro-choice organizations waste time and money fighting them b) make things as hard for women as possible and c) challenge RvW in the supreme court.
Old 22 March 2013, 12:04 AM

That's why they use all of these cloak and dagger phrases "heartbeat," "12 weeks," what have you! They can't or won't challenge RvW directly so they just nibble at it until there isn't anything left!
Old 22 March 2013, 12:06 AM

They can, in fact, challenge Roe directly, and have been trying to do so for years. See Ryda's point C.

ETA: And if these laws are "cloak and dagger," I've been misunderstanding the term all these years.
Old 22 March 2013, 12:11 AM

I meant they either can't or won't create bills to make abortion illegal period, so they try these things like a woman can't have an abortion after 12 weeks, or when the first heartbeat. I can't describe it better than almost trying to be secretive about their true agenda which is making abortion illegal, period everywhere in the U.S. They do it little by little, state by state, trimester by trimester rather than all at once.
Old 23 March 2013, 06:57 AM

Houston, we have "personhood."

North Dakota comes closer to ‘personhood’ amendment outlawing abortion

Quote:
Members of the North Dakota House of Representatives on Friday passed an amendment granting legal right to embryos from the time of fertilization, a measure that could ban all abortions in the state.

The vote, 57 to 35, comes on the heels of its passage in the Senate. It's the first state "personhood" amendment passed by a legislature in the United States.

The measure recognizes “the inalienable right to life of every human being at any stage of development must be recognized and protected.”
I'm a little confused - according to the article, this puts it on the ballot - does that essentially mean it's not actually a law until then?
Old 23 March 2013, 07:48 AM

I have a feeling I'm going to cross North Dakota out of states where I will be applying for librarian jobs along with Arizona,, Texas, and Arkansas, aren't I?