snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 06 July 2018, 02:14 AM

Mouse

I am trying to learn guitar and ukulele, but I am having difficulties wrapping my head around the idea of chords. I've played violin, but it was always quite clear what I was supposed to be playing, whereas with guitar/ukulele, I keep trying to figure out whether I am to play chords or the music line. I also wish I could find a way, even if I am doing chords, to get it all laid out like violin music so I can see the rhythm and make changes easier. I've mostly guessed at it, playing by ear, which is tricky as heck.

I am also disappointed by how much my fingers hurt. I thought all those calluses from learning violin would pay off and I wouldn't have to go through all this.
Old 06 July 2018, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
There are a bunch of cars that offer "synthetic leather."
Often under a brand name like "Softex." But yeah, there are a lot of cars with something like vinyl interiors.
Old 06 July 2018, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I am trying to learn guitar and ukulele...
My wife is a violinist and hates trying to play fretted instruments - the calluses are on the wrong part of the fingertip for her.

There are books out there that show the chords and strumming patterns written out in musical notation, but a lot of the materials geared toward beginning players just use a "by ear" approach. Have you played around with tablature at all? It might be a nice compromise for you. (That is, tablature that is written as numbers on stems, showing the rhythm - there are several songbooks published that give this kind of tab along with the actual notation either above or below it - most online tabs aren't really helpful in terms of rhythm.)
Old 06 July 2018, 03:16 PM

Glasses

Erwins, I think ASL's suggestion of Crested or Roman Helmet are probably your best bets, as they are descriptive even if unfamiliar.

Seaboe
Old 06 July 2018, 03:47 PM

Glasses

Do vegans wear silk?

Morning
Old 06 July 2018, 03:49 PM

Mouse, there may be some tutorials on YouTube. An occasional visitor to dog park is learning that way. He's pretty good, but as someone who only knows how to play the radio, my bar is pretty low.
Funny you should mention that because my nephew once said that once you learn piano--which he did as a child--other instruments are pretty easy to pick up. Except guitar.
He plays only bagpipes now; I remember his father telling me in an e-mail: My son is interested in learning how to play the bagpipes; you can get him a chanter for Christmas. This was at least 10 years ago now that I think of it.
Old 06 July 2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Erwins, I think ASL's suggestion of Crested or Roman Helmet are probably your best bets, as they are descriptive even if unfamiliar.

Seaboe
Yeah, crested is probably what I'll go with. I was drawing a blank on something descriptive when I asked. Though I totally want to make galah be the go to term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning View Post
Do vegans wear silk?
I'm sure some nominal vegans do. But generally speaking, a person who is conscientiously vegan would not wear silk. In fact, some who are vegetarian for ethical reasons won't use silk, because it is created by killing silk worms. (As opposed to just taking something they produce, as with dairy products or honey).
Old 06 July 2018, 06:13 PM

Because Friday is Hawaiian shirt day at work -- should a Hawaiian shirt be tucked in or left untucked?
Old 06 July 2018, 06:32 PM

In Hawaii, Aloha shirts are most commonly worn untucked. However most professionals (doctors, attorneys, etc) wear them tucked in.

BW
Old 07 July 2018, 04:22 AM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Funny you should mention that because my nephew once said that once you learn piano--which he did as a child--other instruments are pretty easy to pick up.
Iíve tried to learn piano a few times, but havenít had much luck. I canít work out the coordination. Yeah with violin, you have two hands doing completely different things at the same time, but both hands are working on the same part. Itís not like with piano where one hand is playing a melody at the same time the other hand is doing a bass line/harmony. Though I do have to ask how much do pianists use their thumbs? The thumbs seem kind of crude in movement when compared to the other fingers.
Old 07 July 2018, 03:28 PM

The thumb is an integral part of piano playing. I played for several years in my childhood and it is almost like an anchor, especially when you are crossing your other fingers over to have more range. But I remember having a lot of difficulty with trying to play two separate lines, one on each hand.
Old 09 July 2018, 01:15 AM

I imagine most western manufacturers use cloth of some kind or leather, at least for the seating surfaces. I've had a few cars over the last decade or so that have had "leather" seats, where only the parts you sat on were actually leather, and the rest of it was vinyl colored to match. Similarly, I wonder if any seats that have both cloth or alcantara and leather are actually using vinyl.

Nylon cloth has also made a comeback - my folks have a newer Civic with this material. I quite like it, it's not as sweaty as leather and it wears far better than the usual kinds of cloth used. Anyway it used to be popular back in the seventies and eighties.
Old 09 July 2018, 09:29 PM

And a related question, perhaps a bit ULish. I read on another site recently that in the old days, say pre-WWII, leather wasn't considered a "luxury" seat covering for automobiles, but quite the opposite. Luxury cars came with cloth seats, while lower end cars used leather for its durability. Leather didn't didn't start to be considered a "premium" seat covering in the US until sometime in the 1950s, because people started associating it with Jaguars and other European cars. But again European makes only used leather in their roadsters because it was easier to clean up if you left the top down and it got rained on. So I guess the question it is there any truth to that? And as a corollary to that, supposedly Mercedes only used leather on vehicles meant to be sold in the US, because in other countries leather didn't have the same luxury association.
Old 11 July 2018, 12:41 AM

There is some truth to that, and the idea that leather wasn't the "luxury" seating material lasted until the postwar years. It wasn't uncommon for a Rolls Royce or Daimler to have wool seats, at least in the back, instead of leather. Cadillac's postwar cars used a combination of both - though if memory serves their most expensive cars would've had full leather. I think the idea had mostly died out by the middle fifties and leather was considered fancier. Jaguar, for example, only offered leather and vinyl in their sedans.

I don't know that Mercedes started out only selling cars with leather here - they have always offered cars with what they call "MB Tex", which is just vinyl with a fancy name. They still offer it, in fact, so yes a manufacturer still offers vinyl!
Old 12 July 2018, 12:27 PM

Baseball

Two questions: first, how does a team qualify for the World Cup? Is getting into the World Cup like qualifying for the Olympics? Also, are the teams amateurs?
Second, we had a new hot water heater installed yesterday. I got a look at it this morning and noticed a small tank above it labeled Potable Water Expansion. Is this an emergency hot water supply or what?
Old 12 July 2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Second, we had a new hot water heater installed yesterday. I got a look at it this morning and noticed a small tank above it labeled Potable Water Expansion. Is this an emergency hot water supply or what?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-Po...1-HD/205556423

Quote:
This expansion tank controls thermal expansion of water in open domestic hot water supply systems. It absorbs the increased volume of water generated by the hot water heating source. Its' pre-pressurized steel tank uses an expansion membrane to prevent air/water contact for long system life.
Old 12 July 2018, 02:08 PM

Thanks Musicgeek; it must be something new, probably a new code requirement. I was amazed at the number of new codes the plumber told me about when I first contacted him about a new heater.
Old 12 July 2018, 02:46 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Two questions: first, how does a team qualify for the World Cup? Is getting into the World Cup like qualifying for the Olympics? Also, are the teams amateurs?
Third part: no, the best players a country can put on the pitch (professional or amateur) comprise the teams. It helps that the tournament is largely held in the "off season" for most of the professional teams in the northern hemisphere.

First part: The soccer world is broken down into conferences. During the past couple of years, the conferences have been playing their own competitions to determine the countries from that conference to attend.

For example, North America has CONCACAF. Canada, US, Mexico, Costa Rica etc. These teams play against each other to determine what teams from CONCACAF participate in the World Cup.

As there are several conferences around the world, varying number of spots are available in the tourney based upon the conference. UEFA (Europe) has 13, while CONCACAF has 2. Plus, the host nation is automatically a participant. And, I believe that the last winner is automatically included.

Second part: some aspects are similar, but the Olympics looks for much wider spread of participation, so many more countries are able to participate. Canada has only been to one World Cup, but we are regular participants and early departures from Summer Olympics competition.
Old 12 July 2018, 05:18 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Third part: but we are regular participants and early departures from Summer Olympics competition.
Thanks for that explanation UEL! Very helpful!
As far as the Olympics go, we Yanks are usually regular participants and early departures in the Winter Games.
Old 12 July 2018, 05:26 PM

The winter Olympics are why the orange one really wants more Norwegian immigrants.