snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 21 August 2018, 02:51 AM

From WildaBeast's link:
Quote:
While the company has avoided it for decadesóbelieving it to be a distractionóthey're introducing a soundtrack of more than 1,500 songs...
From a full-time employee's perspective, that's a very short playlist that's going to get old really fast. They're probably going to cycle through that in less than a week.
Quote:
Walmart pulled Justin Bieber and Celine Dion songs from its playlist back in 2015, but that wasn't because they affected sales. Their employees just got sick of hearing their songs repeatedly each day.
I am actually shocked that Wal-Mart did something nice for their employees. Then again, maybe nixing Bieber is their version of bread and circuses. If they hadn't given in on this, maybe their workers would finally have managed to unionize.

Oh and Cervus, it's only August; they probably won't start with the Christmas music for another two weeks.
Old 21 August 2018, 08:33 AM

The opp shop where I work two days a week plays the same few dozen songs on repeat all day* every day. My manager on Mondays absolutely loathes many of them after being forced to listen to them continually for a year and several times a day she'll sprint across the store to grab the stereo remote to FF through the songs until she finds one she can put up with. I call her "DJ ADHD" behind her back.

She also turns the volume way way up, to the point where items near the stereo unit actually vibrate due to all the base. My hearing isn't great so if I'm up the back of the store I often can't hear when customers come through the front door.

* And I do mean ALL day, they quite often leave it running overnight while the store is locked up.
Old 21 August 2018, 03:04 PM

D'oh!

I learned this a couple of weeks ago, but the discussion of music in store brought it back to me now....

Apparently (At least here in Canada) Walmart stores are not responsible for their CD sections... the CDs are provided by a 3rd party.

So my LTTAM is that if you ask a Walmart employee if they have CD XYZ, they will reply "Walmart doesn't stock the CD's. They belong to a third party. There's no way we can check if we have it or not"

wtf?
What kind of business model is that?
Old 21 August 2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
She also turns the volume way way up, to the point where items near the stereo unit actually vibrate due to all the base. My hearing isn't great
That is very much not good for what's left of your hearing.

Is there an equivalent of OSHA enforcing decibel limit workplace regulations?

(It's also probably driving some of the customers off.)

-- it's also really weird that she'd turn up the volume on music she doesn't like. I wonder whether what's going on is less that she hates some of the other music as that she really likes the songs she switches it to.
Old 21 August 2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Apparently they'll be bringing music to all their stores. Supposedly it boosts sales. My local Target is currently being remodeled, so I suspect the music will come when the remodeling is complete.
From the link:
Quote:
... market research shows that background music does influence how people shop.
Yes, nothing like Taylor Swift to cause me to cut my shopping trip short and go elsewhere for what I want.

I have left many stores recently because I could not stand the music they were playing. That is probably not the result they are looking for.
Old 21 August 2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanz View Post
Cervus, it's retail. You might want to buy earplugs or start mourning now. I hate background music.
Preaching to the choir!
Old 22 August 2018, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
That is very much not good for what's left of your hearing.

Is there an equivalent of OSHA enforcing decibel limit workplace regulations?

(It's also probably driving some of the customers off.)
Their clientele is a mix of 20-30-something hipsters buying secondhand designer clothes (often of questionable authenticity but :shrug: ) and elderly people buying old books so the music probably does drive away a lot of the older crowd but one fashionista buying a $250 'Gucci' suit makes the shop more money than 200 people buying dusty old paperbacks so they don't really care all that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
-- it's also really weird that she'd turn up the volume on music she doesn't like. I wonder whether what's going on is less that she hates some of the other music as that she really likes the songs she switches it to.
I'm old enough to be her dad so I'm sure I have no idea about how/why she listens to music the way she does
Old 22 August 2018, 02:47 PM

A few years ago I helped my BIL sign up for Obamacare (though I couldn't call it Obamacare, since Obama was evil. I did make a point to let him know that he ONLY got insurance due to Obama later on.) Since then, I have gotten so many calls and letters from various firms about signing up for health insurance. I have health insurance through work. The BIL that I signed up has been dead for almost 2 years. I really, really want them to stop calling me.
Old 22 August 2018, 03:15 PM

I guess telling the callers all of that is a waste of your breath. Can you block the numbers?
Old 22 August 2018, 04:14 PM

DawnStorm, there are a LOT of different numbers, all just calling once or twice. I just got on some "needs insurance" calling list.
Old 23 August 2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
A few years ago I helped my BIL sign up for Obamacare (though I couldn't call it Obamacare, since Obama was evil. I did make a point to let him know that he ONLY got insurance due to Obama later on.) Since then, I have gotten so many calls and letters from various firms about signing up for health insurance. I have health insurance through work. The BIL that I signed up has been dead for almost 2 years. I really, really want them to stop calling me.
I have been looking for work recently. But I haven't been applying to the company in question but through a second party who have obviously been selling my contact details to a third party. So I have been getting a lot of calls from charity groups. I would love to support some more charities but I am living on the dole, I am flat out supporting my self. I do volunteer work, that is how I contribute. And it is not good telling me "plenty of people on the dole/pension* support us" I think I know my finances better then you do thank you very much. This just insures I will never support you even if my circumstances change. Why do they think people looking for work are the best people to contact regarding this? Yes I am sure that some people are working and looking to change but these aren't great jobs...I am sure most people are unemployed.

Anyway I came on to say we have a "Do Not Call" registry in Australia which is meant to stop people cold calling you. Which I re-applied for in the last few days. Let's see if that works.

And I am trying to find the actual workplace advertising and applying directly.

*I should be on a pension but that is a another story.
Old 27 August 2018, 11:51 PM

Baseball

This is one thing that I thought had gone away. I have not experienced it in about a decade, so I thought it was done.

I share a name with 2 celebrities. Different variations, but the same name.

However, both celebrities are very old nowadays. They had their heydays in the 50s-80s. Now in the 20-teens, many people don't recognise the name as being anything special. In fact, my 2 adult kids have no idea who the other two with my name are. I think it would be fair to say that it would be people over 40 who would connect my name to either celebrity immediately.

Well, today, an older woman at a shop where I was buying some stuff saw the name on my uniform. And she made an off hand remark saying "your other name wouldn't happen to be...". I replied, "yes".

She then proceeded to tell me a series of small jokes about one of the celebrities. And they were dated. But not only that she hollered over to her coworker and proceeded to yell the same joke over to her coworker, with an explanation that I have the same name as said old celebrity.

I found it annoying. I found it annoying in the 20th century, and the 21st century does not have me wistfully longing for the days where I was taunted for sharing the name with two celebrities.
Old 28 August 2018, 10:35 AM

Would they happen to be a flamboyant pioneer of rock and roll and an impressionist? That's kind of cool, but I can see how it would get annoying quickly.

There was a guy in my college a cappella group who shared a name with a famous comedic actor. He got the same thing, to the point that when we put out our first CD, he was credited as "His Name (no, not that one)."
Old 28 August 2018, 03:16 PM

LTTAM: I heard a 15-to-20 second snippet of the song "Holiday Roads" five days ago, and while it hasn't taken up permanent residence in my head, it pops in for a visit at least once a day.
Old 28 August 2018, 03:23 PM

Glasses

I went to the grocery store, and the "seasonal" aisles were full of Halloween candy rather than school supplies.

Seaboe
Old 28 August 2018, 03:50 PM

1. Get people to buy Halloween candy in August.
2. People with candy will eat that candy.
3. People will have to buy more candy.
Repeat until October 31st.

Profit!
Old 28 August 2018, 03:57 PM

Mmmm, Christmas candy... *drooling sounds*
Old 28 August 2018, 04:17 PM

Bang Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
1. Get people to buy Halloween candy in August.
2. People with candy will eat that candy.
3. People will have to buy more candy.
Repeat until October 31st.

Profit!
Yup! Holiday creep is a major pet peeve with me.

UEL--when I was in high school, people would ask me if I cut grease while I clean dishes. Wow, I had no idea that Dawn was the name of a dish-washing liquid!
When I was a lot younger, I had to contend with hearing people sing Delta Dawn all the time.
So yeah, I hear ya!
Old 28 August 2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
LTTAM: I heard a 15-to-20 second snippet of the song "Holiday Roads" five days ago, and while it hasn't taken up permanent residence in my head, it pops in for a visit at least once a day.
I've always been a big fan of John Hughes and Harold Ramis and that song is a classic!

Edit: oh wow, the music video for that song is NOT what I was expecting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMduDFJNfWI
Old 28 August 2018, 05:29 PM

Unexpected doesn't come close to describing that video. Thanks for sharing it.

Dawn - would you rather have had "Delta Dawn", or get hit with "Take a Chance on Me" in kindergarten (original), 3rd-4th grade (the Chipmunks), and again in high school (Erasure)?
Closed Thread