snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 14 September 2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
The candy or the oil measuring device?
Until now, I had not heard of the candy.

Oil measuring devices, all from SAABs.
Old 15 September 2018, 12:12 AM

The thread about the Volkswagen Beetle got me thinking about the names of other VW models. Specifically, when the Golf was first introduced why did they decide to call it the Rabbit in the US and Golf everywhere else? I know it's not uncommon for cars to have different names in different countries, but it strikes me as a little unusual that later on they decided to switch to calling it the Golf here, too. And they did the same with the Passat. In the 1970s it was called the Dasher in the US, then later they started calling it the Passat here, which IIRC is what it was always called in the rest of the world.
Old 15 September 2018, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
So unless we can now all close threads and change titles (I haven't tried it), or GM has become a moderator, somebody seems to be around.

But I don't know whether they're working on the approval queue. Let alone on Karyn's request; though they've probably given up and gone away entirely by now.
Didn't someone also mention that Lainie got locked out of the board? I would have hoped someone would fix that.
Old 15 September 2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Didn't someone also mention that Lainie got locked out of the board? I would have hoped someone would fix that.
YES, PLEASE!!

Maybe that will get somebody's attention.

Or I could start flinging cookies, asking questions for which I will reward points, and call somebody a BLEEEEEP.
Old 16 September 2018, 11:28 PM

If I request a Lyft shared ride (i.e. I agree to have strangers in the car and maybe a longer ride while the other passengers get picked up and dropped off) the price might be half of what it would if I ordered the Lyft just for me. I always do this if I'm alone and not in a rush, more for earth-saving than money-saving reasons. Sometimes, though, I end up having the Lyft to myself anyway. Does the driver in this situation get screwed, or does the company take most of the hit? I've thought of just asking my driver when this happens, but I feel awkward putting them on the spot like that.
Old 17 September 2018, 03:47 AM

https://help.lyft.com/hc/en-us/articles/115012926987
Quote:
You're always paid the base fare plus the time and distance of the entire route, which means your earnings aren't affected if the first rider doesn't get matched with another rider.
Old 18 September 2018, 12:59 AM

Thanks! My google-fu was weak; I don't know why I missed this.
Old 19 September 2018, 06:30 PM

Did the “I have a girlfriend in Canada” thing start with The Breakfast Club or were they using a joke that had been around?
Old 19 September 2018, 06:46 PM

From movies.stackexchange.com
Quote:
Of the numerous examples from film given by TVTropes, the earliest are from 1969 and 1985:

A prospector in Paint Your Wagon [released October 15, 1969] admits that his girlfriend back home, Lisa, was entirely made up.

Anthony Michael Hall's character in The Breakfast Club [February 15, 1985] claims to have a girlfriend living up in Niagara Falls, in addition to having had sex with several other girls. When pressed, he admits he made the whole thing up because he's embarrassed to admit he's a virgin.

His character also has a distant girlfriend in Weird Science [August 2, 1985] from later in the same year, 1985.
It's likely the trope caught on after these 1985 films.
Old 20 September 2018, 12:28 AM

Ah, so sounds like The Breakfast Club adder the Canadian twist to “distant girlfriend”. Thanks
Old 22 September 2018, 03:35 PM

United Kingdom

I know that the UK name Basil is pronounced differently than the US herb basil, but is the UK herb basil pronounced like the US herb, or the UK name?
Old 22 September 2018, 03:52 PM

The name and the herb (with an "h"!) are pronounced the same way, here - with a short "a", as in "cat".

I've heard Americans pronounce basil in a way that I would write as "bay-sil" (a long "a", as in "cake" - or "bay") but I don't know how that relates to the way you would say the name Basil.

(eta) It's not exactly a common name here anyway - about the only two Basils I can think of are Basil Fawlty and Basil Brush, both of whom are fictional characters. I've certainly never met a Basil.
Old 22 September 2018, 04:39 PM

For me, the spice is bay-zul, the person is bah-zil.
Old 22 September 2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
The name and the herb (with an "h"!) are pronounced the same way, here - with a short "a", as in "cat".

I've heard Americans pronounce basil in a way that I would write as "bay-sil" (a long "a", as in "cake" - or "bay") but I don't know how that relates to the way you would say the name Basil.

(eta) It's not exactly a common name here anyway - about the only two Basils I can think of are Basil Fawlty and Basil Brush, both of whom are fictional characters. I've certainly never met a Basil.
Basil Rathbone, the actor, Basil Poledouris, the film composer... I feel like there are a few more real-life examples, but none I've met personally.

I only learned of the variation in British and American English pronunciations of the spice name due to the Fawlty Towers episode "Basil the Rat."

Quote:
Polly: The chef calls his ratatouille "Basil" because he puts quite a lot of basil in it.
Manuel: Chef put Basil in ratatouille?
Polly: Yes!
Manuel: Aaaaaah!
Sybil: He's from Barcelona...
Old 22 September 2018, 07:41 PM

I had read the name "Basil" but never realized it wasn't pronounced "baysil" until I watched The World's End and wondered about the character named "Bazzle." At some point during the movie I put 2 and 2 together.
Old 22 September 2018, 07:49 PM

My parents borrowed some VHS tapes of Fawlty Towers when I was in my teens, so that was my probably first exposure to that name. I probably learned the British pronunciation of the name and the herb the same way musicgeek did.

My own stupid question: My cat and I have a game where I throw his ball towards him, and he jumps out and pounces on it. Except lately he acts like he wants me to throw the ball, but when I do he runs away from it. He doesn't seem scared of the ball; he runs in more of a playful way, so should I assume "run away away from the ball" is a new game he decided he wants to play?

Last edited by WildaBeast; 22 September 2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 22 September 2018, 08:25 PM

It took me a couple of episodes of listening to the podcast Welcome to Night Vale to realise that the character SEE-sil was not just pronouncing Cecil in a weird, pretentious way.

They make a bit of a reference to the difference in pronunciations several seasons later with the British accented sheriff 'mispronouncing' the name the way I would pronounce it (seh-sil), much to Cecil's annoyance.
Old 22 September 2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
My own stupid question: My cat and I have a game where I throw his ball towards him, and he jumps out and pounces on it. Except lately he acts like he wants me to throw the ball, but when I do he runs away from it. He doesn't seem scared of the ball; he runs in more of a playful way, so should I assume "run away away from the ball" is a new game he decided he wants to play?
Maybe.

It's possible that he wants you to chase him (maybe alternately with his chasing you, if so.) Try with caution, and not moving extremely fast, as if this isn't what he wants you might freak him out by chasing him (though he'll probably get over it pretty fast, if that happens.)
Old 23 September 2018, 04:23 AM

Aw. My late cat Mabel and I played chase. I could initiate a game by peeking at her and the running away when she looked at me. We'd switch who was chasing, and it was extra pleasing if you could get far enough ahead to hide and jump out at the chaser.
Old 23 September 2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
[very large print]

Maybe that will get somebody's attention.
Maybe it worked. Lainie just posted over in Commercials You Like.

ETA: now Karyn, please? and let them know?