snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 19 August 2018, 12:46 AM

There was a major traffic accident on what’s basically the one main road around Kauai yesterday evening. Bad enough that the police had the entire road blocked off. This made me nearly two hours late for the luau I was heading to. I finally got there towards the end of dinner. So I basically had to rush through dinner, I was able to grab a dessert just as they were putting them away, and I only had time for one drink before they closed the bar. I got to see the show but I still feel like I missed out on much of the experience I had paid for. In retrospect I should have just canceled and asked for a refund when I realized how late I was going to be.

ETA: I didn’t get a lei like everyone else, either.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 19 August 2018 at 12:58 AM.
Old 19 August 2018, 02:50 AM

I'm at a concert I've been looking forward to for months. The band I want to see plays last. And my butt is really getting sore sitting on the hard ground.
Old 19 August 2018, 03:01 AM

Mouse

Eh, this is more a "Little Weird Thing I've Noticed" rather than a complaint or a problem, but if anyone objects, I gave you a First World Problem to complain about.

Y'all know I have a weakness for true crime, basically freebasing the heck out of much of ID Go's content. After watching "Fear Thy Neighbor," I kind of noticed how before the feuds start (and escalate to seriously scary levels) the neighbors are always friends, checking in on each other and doing what they can to help them out in times of need. It makes be like, "Okay, does nobody just keep to themselves and only see their neighbor when they take out trash, mow their lawns, or drive to work?"

Though I think I have a compelling argument in favor of being an Isolated Weirdo. Science always talks about how humans are social creatures and isolation is unhealthy, but the way I see it, is you can't get into conflicts with your neighbors or any other people if you never interact with any other people.

Though really, regardless of whatever studies say otherwise, I'd rather have a slightly shortened life interacting when I damn well feel like it, stopping when I don't, than live longer by hanging out dealing with uncomfortable stimuli, talking to people who bore me about subjects that bore me. Not everyone is identical and there has to be people for whom going above a minimal level of interaction, feels grossly unnatural. Hence why the studies probably don't apply to everyone.
Old 19 August 2018, 08:47 PM

FWP - The Internet is not as interesting to me as it used to be. There was a time when I could waste hours visiting message boards, playing online games, running down rabbit holes looking stuff up that led to looking more stuff up. Now. not so much. I realize that this isn't a bad thing but it's weird. I guess I'm feeling a bit like a coal miner whose finally come outside . The sun in awfully bright and I need to find other things to do with my time!
Old 20 August 2018, 02:53 AM

Icon204

My phone is so full that I can't take even one more photograph. My laptop has a broken hinge. My car needs a new transmission.

It's the revenge of the machines.
Old 20 August 2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
FWP - The Internet is not as interesting to me as it used to be. There was a time when I could waste hours visiting message boards, playing online games, running down rabbit holes looking stuff up that led to looking more stuff up. Now. not so much. I realize that this isn't a bad thing but it's weird. I guess I'm feeling a bit like a coal miner whose finally come outside . The sun in awfully bright and I need to find other things to do with my time!
I've noticed this about myself, too. Maybe it's a bit like when I was a kid and could watch live TV for hours, there was always something worth watching on despite having far fewer channels.
Old 21 August 2018, 01:29 AM

My FWP: Coming home after a vacation and having to unpack and tidy up everything. There was a mess already waiting from all the accumulating "stuff" prior to and immediately after the wedding. I thought today would be a good day to tackle and reorganize each room and get things back where they belong, but I was exhausted most of the day and wound up using the butterfly method in the late afternoon & evening to just pick up one thing here and there as I moved around.
Old 21 August 2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
It makes be like, "Okay, does nobody just keep to themselves and only see their neighbor when they take out trash, mow their lawns, or drive to work?"
Mouse, I've lived in my house for 14 years and never talked to my neighbors. I can't even see their house due to the trees and space between us. It is a great relationship. I never interact with them, they never bother me.
Old 21 August 2018, 06:31 PM

Icon204

1.I had to go out and buy some lunch because I've suddenly gotten very tire of cold cuts.
2. When I returned, I had to park in a space a little further away from the building because someone else had taken my space.
Old 14 September 2018, 03:42 AM

I got a bag for donations for my city's annual food drive today. The collection date is this Saturday, the 15th, two days from now. If I had more than two days notice I would have bought some extra food on my regular Saturday shopping trip specifically to donate rather than simply using it as an opportunity to clean out the pantry. As a single person I don't keep a huge pantry stocked with large quantities on non-perishable food any, so I don't have all that much extra to donate right now in the first place. If I had time to go shopping before Saturday morning I'd donate more.
Old 16 September 2018, 01:23 AM

Follow up to the above FWP: I went ahead and bought some food to donate on my shopping trip this afternoon, even though the time to leave it out for the food drive was this morning. I figured I'd just drop it off at the food bank myself. I mean why let a little problem like timing stop me from donating, right? And they're a few blocks from my house anyway, so it's not too inconvenient. Except when I got there there was a sign saying they are closed, and they are only open for donations TUES, WED, THURS 9AM-12:30PM; TUES 4:30-6PM, along with a notice saying "no dumping", which I took to mean I shouldn't just leave the food there. All the times they accept donations are times when I will be at work. In hindsight, it would have been easier and more efficient to just make a monetary donation on their web site in lieu of participating in the food drive.
Old 16 September 2018, 01:43 AM

WildaBeast, I kept getting bags delivered from charities asking me to leave clothing donations for collection outside my door. I normally take used clothes to charity shops myself, but one time I decided to fill one of these bags and leave it outside for the collection day stated on the bag.

Nobody collected it the first week I left it out or the next. Not only that, but the bag provided had holes in it so rain got in one night and soaked the clothes.

Sometimes you just can't give things away!
Old 16 September 2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
In hindsight, it would have been easier and more efficient to just make a monetary donation on their web site in lieu of participating in the food drive.
Also, a monetary donation will go further. The food bank pays wholesale and doesn't pay taxes.
Old 17 September 2018, 03:13 PM

Glasses

A lot of grocery stores have bins for food bank donations, but I don't know whether that's a seasonal thing.

My FWP--do I wait for a Columbus day sale and get the more deluxe model of washer, or do I buy the less deluxe model now and get it over with?

Seaboe
Old 17 September 2018, 04:39 PM

Seaboe, if you end up going washer shopping earlier rather than later, be sure to bring up upcoming sales with the salesperson. It is far from unheard of for a salesperson to go ahead and give the discount for any upcoming sale in order to garner the sale's commission.
Old 17 September 2018, 05:00 PM

I have purcahsed major items from Home Depot that subsequently went on sale a few weeks later. I took the sales receipt in and they issued a credit to adjust to the sale price.

BW
Old 17 September 2018, 06:10 PM

Some credit cards also have "price protection" as one of the benefits they offer cardholders. With my Citibank card, if I pay for an item at least partly with that card, and that item is advertised at a lower price within 90 days, they will refund the price difference. Last year I was able to effectively get my sister's birthday present for the Black Friday sale price even though her birthday is in October by using this benefit.
Old 17 September 2018, 07:20 PM

Glasses

Good advice. Currently, I'm content to wait and see what the sales are for Columbus Day. I'd rather not hold out for Black Friday (which the lady at HD seemed to think might start as early as the 6th of November, based on last year). I can do some laundry at my sister's (2.5 miles from my house) if I run out of clean underwear before the sale begins.

Seaboe
Old 17 September 2018, 09:09 PM

I mailed two USPS medium flat rate packages from the Fleming Island, FL, USPS, this morning and just noticed an interesting expected delivery date print on the receipt.

I mailed two identical medium size flat rate boxes from the Fleming Island USPS outlet, one to Gordon, one to Shayna and I noticed an interesting
comment regarding the expected delivery date.

The package to Deltona, FL, EDD 9/20.

The package to Seattle, EDD 9/19.
Old 17 September 2018, 11:01 PM

I forgot to buy some chips or similar salty snack to snack on at work when I bought groceries last weekend. Also, the vending machine is broken so I can't even buy some here. Now I'm craving something salty but can't obtain anything like that to snack on.