snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 13 September 2018, 12:59 PM

Goldfish How one seafood place is fighting back against PETA

This is beautiful!

Recently, PETA put up a billboard in Baltimore City encouraging people to not eat crabs--I'm not meat, I'm me! IIRC. Jimmy's Famous Seafood decided to fight back.
Old 13 September 2018, 01:04 PM

Could you post a picture? Both you link and the Baltimore Sun's website are unavailable for European users.
Old 13 September 2018, 01:09 PM

Maybe this will work?
Old 13 September 2018, 02:12 PM

Crabs might want humans to go vegan, at least as far as crabs are concerned; but they're not vegan themselves, which seems to me to make them an odd spokesbeing for the diet.
Old 13 September 2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Maybe this will work?
Nope! It looks like Maryland has something against Europeans.
Old 13 September 2018, 02:36 PM

Several people I know who live in Baltimore saw the PETA billboard and thought, "yummy".
Old 13 September 2018, 03:13 PM

European Snopesters, try searching Jimmy's Famous Seafood--hopefully something will come up that complies with your new privacy laws.
Old 14 September 2018, 12:09 AM

Icon05

I don't get why anyone thought the response was clever, including the droll twitter feed. I'm not vegan but I also fail to see why people would ridicule the PETA ad. What's wrong with it I mean other than people like to eat crabs?
Old 14 September 2018, 12:24 AM

Because if immature school-yard level Tweet insults are good enough for the President, they're good enough for Jimmy's.
Old 14 September 2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I don't get why anyone thought the response was clever, including the droll twitter feed. I'm not vegan but I also fail to see why people would ridicule the PETA ad. What's wrong with it I mean other than people like to eat crabs?
I think the problem people have with the PETA billboard can be summarised as 'hur hur vegans, am I right?'.
Old 14 September 2018, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
I think the problem people have with the PETA billboard can be summarised as 'hur hur vegans, am I right?'.
Perhaps but the people being quoted in the article also made a point that they felt that PETA was hypocritical and that the crab industry provided a lot of people with a good income.
Old 14 September 2018, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Or just "NFBSK PETA." A lot of people who don't have anything against vegans don't like PETA.
Old 15 September 2018, 02:19 AM

Mouse

Heck there are Vegans/Vegetarians who hate PETA.

Me, I remain a dedicated omnivore, but even so, PETA is the worst. Iíve theorized that PETA is a front for the meat industry. There are legitimate issues with how we raise and kill animals for example, factory farms, but PETA wastes time with idiotic publicity stunts like the chicken holocaust or trying to rename fish, sea kittens. In doing so, they draw all the media attention and PETA is seen as the representation of the animal rights movement. Legit animal rights groups arenít able to get a hearing and the general public concludes that everyone involved with the movement is a goddanged lunatic.

Also donít underestimate the power of the Spite demographic. Every time someone looks at PETA and says, ďIíll eat a steak just to spite them,Ē a meat industry executive smiles.

I know my crazy theory isnít true, but my crazy-ass theory actually credits PETA as having some brain cells, as opposed to being an organization of edgelord dumbasses who know nothing about any science whatsoever.
Old 15 September 2018, 03:00 AM

While I doubt that PETA is a deliberate front for the meat industry, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they make anonymous donations to PETA on a regular basis.
Old 15 September 2018, 06:20 AM

Supposedly Protect the Harvest is claiming the Humane Society (one of them) is a radical animal organization and not PETA.
Old 15 September 2018, 06:39 AM

Protect the Harvest is a pretty blatantly biased group, but I do remember hearing rumors about one Humane Society as being fairly radical.
Old 18 September 2018, 03:08 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
While I doubt that PETA is a deliberate front for the meat industry, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they make anonymous donations to PETA on a regular basis.
I donít think itís a deliberate front either, though again, if that was the case, we could credit PETA with some brain cells, rather than them just being colossal dumbasses.
Old 19 September 2018, 12:28 PM

While I have issues with PETA and even outright object to the organisation in some ways, I feel like there's a collective online version of Nickelback Syndrome going on here as well.

Anything they do, even something as innocuous as protesting the eating of crabs (not unreasonable for an animal rights organisation), is met with far more hostile mockery than is really warranted.

I feel like the main reason people hate PETA these days is no longer their policy of putting down unwanted animals or the objectification of women in their campaigns but simply because everybody hates PETA. Just like how people could not resist slagging off Nickelback at every opportunity for a while simply because of the premise 'everybody hates Nickelback'. Once a hateball starts rolling, it doesn't need any extra push to keep going.
Old 19 September 2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:

Anything they do, even something as innocuous as protesting the eating of crabs (not unreasonable for an animal rights organisation), is met with far more hostile mockery than is really warranted. .
I don't think people concerned that their livelihoods will be affected are going to consider what PETA did to be innocuous protesting. At least the counter protesters used their words (as my mother would have encouraged us to do when we were children) and didn't retaliate physically by damaging or destroying the billboard or targetting PETA supporters personally.
Old 19 September 2018, 05:41 PM

Blatherskate, it's not so much that PETA's protesting it (there are, after all, reasonable issues regarding the sustainability of harvesting of seafood of all kinds), it's the fact that like every protest PETA does, they're being stupid and ridiculous in how they approach the issue and seem to be more interested in drawing attention to themselves.