snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 22 May 2018, 02:45 PM

I can't remember if we're putting cars we saw here or in the "odd things" thread, but these ones weren't odd so I'll put them here.

Last week I was walking near Tring and saw a very nice old Aston Martin - I'm not sure which model; one of the late '60s / early '70s models, possibly a DB6, original DBS or a V8. It was a convertible - there's a photo of a similar one on both the DB6 and V8 pages, although the one I saw had a scoop in the bonnet so it must have been an earlier model than the V8 Volanté in Wikipedia's picture.

Then on Friday I was in Marlow, where you usually see a few nice things go past if you sit outside the pub for a while (McLarens and so on). The Lamborghini Aventador and the Ferrari 458 Italia barely count as unusual round there, but I also saw a Jaguar E-type - you don't often see those on the road these days; and earlier, the best one, was what I thought was an old Porsche, but when I got closer turned out to be a bright orange Volkswagen Karmann - the same colour as the one in Wikipedia's photo. They seem to have built quite a lot of them but I don't remember seeing one before, and it's a very nice-looking car.

(Maybe we should have a "What cars did you see today?" thread... I'm not going to start it though!)
Old 22 May 2018, 03:14 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I can't remember if we're putting cars we saw here or in the "odd things" thread, but these ones weren't odd so I'll put them here.
I put them in whatever thread happens to come up on the new posts page, whether "makes me happy", "odd things" or "unhijackable."

Quote:
what I thought was an old Porsche, but when I got closer turned out to be a bright orange Volkswagen Karmann - the same colour as the one in Wikipedia's photo. They seem to have built quite a lot of them but I don't remember seeing one before, and it's a very nice-looking car.
I've always thought Karmann Ghias look like someone built a Beetle and then pressed so hard on the roof that the car got longer and shorter. A friend of mine had one, and people used to go into her carport and steal parts. I think she still has it, but it doesn't run anymore (too many missing parts).

Seaboe
Old 22 May 2018, 03:22 PM

A high-school friend had a Karmann Ghia that she'd bought cheap and fixed up -- mechanics were good, but she did a lot of bodywork. At one point we crammed 7 people in it and drove almost 50 miles to the airport to try to see off a friend.
Old 22 May 2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
(Maybe we should have a "What cars did you see today?" thread... I'm not going to start it though!)
I didn't see anything as nice as an old Aston Martin or even a Karmann Ghia, but two days ago I saw an early Plymouth Reliant, also known at the K Car, parked on the curb. Wikipedia actually has quite a bit of info on model year changes, so I'm pretty sure it was a 1982 model as it had a Chrysler Pentastar hood ornament and I'm pretty sure it had a chrome grille. It's hard to tell in the picture I took because that angle was towards the sun, but it's at least a 1982-83 model if I'm wrong about the grille, as Wikipedia says they removed the hood ornament in 1984.

I think in a way it's actually more interesting to see a car like that on the road, because "boring" cars aren't the ones people generally preserve. The K Cars used to be very common in the US, and they just all sort of quietly disappeared and now you hardly ever see them anymore.
Old 22 May 2018, 08:10 PM

Glasses

My mother had a K car for years, but it developed mechanical problems and my parents replaced it with a Camry. Probably in about 92.

I'm starting to think about my next car, which I want to have AWD (or for the old fashioned, 4WD), have good gas mileage, and be able to sleep in when camping. I've seen lots of articles on converting various vehicles to campers, but none of them are doing what I'd like to do, which is just flatten the back seats and toss in a mattress. So the information I need (like, how flat do the seats go? and how many inches is it from the back of the driver's seat to the inside of the tailgate?) is frustratingly difficult to find. The car makers all give the storage space in cubic feet, which is useless to me. You know, maybe this should've been in FWP...

Seaboe
Old 22 May 2018, 08:19 PM

I used to do that with a SAAB 900 but then 3 things happened. SAAB become Saab and then became no more. And I got old enough where I now want a real mattress and a bathroom close by. Our solution several years ago was a slide in camper that the 1 ton crew cab dually can haul around. Now I am getting even older and don't like crawling into the bed which is over the top of the truck.
See https://www.lancecamper.com/truck-campers/ for several different models made by Lance.
Old 22 May 2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
AWD (or for the old fashioned, 4WD)
Technically, AWD and 4WD are not the same thing. 4WD is like what you'd find on a Jeep or pickup truck, where you have to pull a lever or press a button to switch from 2WD to 4WD. This sort of system is meant to be left in 2WD on dry pavement and is only meant to be switched to 4WD if you are actually stuck, or driving off road, or in snow, etc.

AWD is a more advanced system that's engaged all the time, meaning you don't really have to think about it. I believe the newer systems actually use fancy sensors to distribute power among all four wheels depending on which ones have the most traction.

Quote:
I want to have AWD... have good gas mileage
Depending on what you consider "good" mileage, that might be mutually exclusive. The extra mechanical bits required for AWD are always going to hurt the mileage a bit compared to the 2WD version of the same vehicle.
Old 22 May 2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
I used to do that with a SAAB 900
Hah!

I used to do that with a SAAB 95!

I am short; and still had to sleep diagonally. I was a lot younger then, though, and didn't mind.

-- it does seem like an annoying piece of information not to be able to get, though. Not only people who want to be able to sleep in the car, but also people who want to be able to fit some specific item in there, would need to know the actual dimensions of the available flat space and not only its cubic footage.
Old 22 May 2018, 08:52 PM

I had a follow-up lens fitting appointment at the eye doctor, and my glasses, which I'd been expecting to get next week, had just arrived. They're wonderfully light, and even prettier than I realized when I picked them out. There's a subtle, Art-Deco-ish textured design on parts of the frame that I hadn't even noticed before.
Old 22 May 2018, 09:05 PM

Royalty

Quote:
Yesterday, coming out of the grocery store parking lot, I was behind a car with a license plate that said BLAKES7.

My inner fan-girl eeked. My outer fan-girl sqeed with jealousy.
Old 22 May 2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Hah!

I used to do that with a SAAB 95!

snip
I used to rally a SAAB 96. But then if you want to combine a truck camper and a SAAB, you could have had this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toppola

ETA: Tips from REI on what to buy to camp in your car - https://www.rei.com/blog/camp/a-diff...ng-in-your-car
Old 23 May 2018, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
But then if you want to combine a truck camper and a SAAB, you could have had this - [url Toppola
Wow. I never knew that thing existed.

And as it's shown on a 1975, quite possibly it existed in '77, when I took that trip. Retroactive WANT!

-- of course, I doubt I could have afforded it; and it probably wouldn't have fit the 95. And I would have gotten even more weird looks than I did anyway, just driving a SAAB around the United States in 1977. They were relatively common in a few specific places in the USA, but pretty much unheard of elsewhere.

I did at one point wind up combining two different 95's, after a car accident; so considering that I wound up driving for some years after that a green car with red doors, even aside from the make my car probably qualified as an Odd Thing That Some People Saw.
Old 23 May 2018, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Technically, AWD and 4WD are not the same thing. 4WD is like what you'd find on a Jeep or pickup truck, where you have to pull a lever or press a button to switch from 2WD to 4WD. This sort of system is meant to be left in 2WD on dry pavement and is only meant to be switched to 4WD if you are actually stuck, or driving off road, or in snow, etc.

And some vehicles are a mix. My Mitsubishi Montero Sport is AWD in the normal configuration. The transfer case feeds engine power to both the front and back axles, but there is a differential associated with this power split.

In 4H, the engine to drivetrain ratio is the same as in AWD, but the differential in the transfer case is locked so it is impossible to spin the front wheels or back wheels and not be able to move the vehicle.

In 4L, the engine to drivetrain ratio is higher, and the transfer case differential is locked, as in 4H.

As far as I know, I cannot make the vehicle two wheel drive.
Old 23 May 2018, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Technically, AWD and 4WD are not the same thing. 4WD is like what you'd find on a Jeep
I don't have a car and have no interest in this thread but just wanted to ad that we had a jeep*. The engine fell out.

*Well my parents did.
Old 23 May 2018, 09:51 AM

Wow, is Cakewrecks.com only 10 years old. It feels like it's been around at least since the last century. Maybe it's the wrecked webpage design. Long live Cakewrecks! Funniest damned site on the web.
Old 23 May 2018, 01:44 PM

FYI, snopesters, Morning has been ill and hospitalized. She's doing better now, hoping to be home later this week. Updates to follow.
Old 23 May 2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
I don't have a car and have no interest in this thread but just wanted to ad that we had a jeep*. The engine fell out.
I have heard a number of complaints (as well as praises) about old Jeeps, but I don't think it was common for the engines to fall out of them.

(It was pretty common for people to treat them as invulnerable, though, which I suppose might have that kind of result; even if it was the previous owners who had done so.)

Lainie, thanks for the information about Morning. Please do keep us updated as you can.
Old 23 May 2018, 03:27 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Depending on what you consider "good" mileage, that might be mutually exclusive.
My ideas of good mileage are fairly old, and based on small pickup trucks. I would want at least 25 mpg in city, and 28 or more freeway. I'm pretty sure that's doable.

Lainie, thanks for the news about Morning.

Speaking of old vehicles, I saw a Ford Falcon van in my neighborhood. I've seen them before, in other places, but I didn't realize they were Falcons.

Part of the issue I'm having with the SUV conversion is that I don't want to have to move the driver's seat every night, and it appears a lot of those conversions do require that (flipping the seat back forward I'd do, just not the base). Not to mention that, even if you install the shortest base you can, there isn't enough headroom to sit up in bed, even with your head bent.

I currently camp in the back of the truck. I have a nice 4" thick foam mattress, which is further padded by an old sleeping bag laid out open. The sides are insulated by 2" thick pads, and more insulation goes over the top, buffered above and below by tarps. It's quite cozy. However, my truck is 19 years old now, two-wheel drive, and not good in snow or mud. Once I retire, I'm considering a move to a location that gets a lot more snow than Seattle does. I want AWD for that. I don't want another truck, because trucks are terrible in the snow unless you pile a gob of weight in the back. I'd go with a van, like the Honda Odyssey, if it were AWD, and if you could take out the second and third rows of seats (or fold them flush with the floor). Actually, even with a van, I'd prefer it not to even have a third row of seats. I'm never going to be driving enough people around to need three rows.

I want something that's new this year, so that by the time I'm ready to retire in three years or so, I can get a fairly low mileage used one.

Seaboe
Old 23 May 2018, 03:51 PM

I thought we were having a project-completion thank-you lunch at work today, so I didn't bring lunch. Turns out I was looking at the wrong week -- the thank-you lunch is on the 30th.

I'm spoiled for restaurant options, but I'm challenging myself to spend no more than the $5 cash in my pocket, and to get something not terribly rich/fatty/etc. I have grapes and almonds at my desk, so I'll probably just get some soup.
Old 23 May 2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Speaking of old vehicles, I saw a Ford Falcon van in my neighborhood. I've seen them before, in other places, but I didn't realize they were Falcons.
Well it was called the Econoline, but it was based on the Falcon chassis. In the 1960s it seemed like Detroit was trying to copy Volkswagen's idea of taking a compact car chassis and building a van body around it. By the 1970s they abandoned that idea and switched to the bigger, truck based vans we all know today.