snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 25 March 2015, 02:54 PM

Japan Controversy of the Day: Some People Think Miss Universe Japan is Not Japanese Enough

Quote:
It’s only March and we’ve already got Miss Universe drama.
Ariana Miyamoto, who was recently crowned Miss Universe Japan, has ignited a firestorm of racist comments online from people arguing that she is not Japanese enough to represent their country.
“She has too much black blood in her to be Japanese,” wrote one critic online, according to RocketNews24.
http://thedailywh.at/2015/03/controv...panese-enough/

Here's the original article:

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/03/1...along-the-way/
Old 25 March 2015, 03:52 PM

Japan

Cue song from the 1980s.

Dawn--turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so--Storm
Old 26 March 2015, 05:59 PM

It's a bit confusing that the word Japanese is used to describe both the nationality and the race. It could even be construed as insulting that the original article calls her a 'half Japanese beauty', when she is a full Japanese citizen who was born in Japan and identifies as Japanese.

'Yamato' is sometimes used describe the main ethnic group in Japan but that doesn't seem to be in common usage even in Japan.
Old 27 March 2015, 06:24 AM

I'd be extremely elated if we could just get rid of the outdated, erroneous, and offensive concept of 'race' altogether (except insofar as it's absolutely needed in our attempt to undo the horrors and harms it has been used to commit over the past five centuries). However, realistically, I don't think that will happen in the near future. On the other hand, there is a chance, a small one, that people will stop accepting RocketNews24 as a real news source while and at the same time exaggerating its already sensationalized headlines. That would make me glad.