snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Hurricane Katrina

Old 12 January 2007, 04:33 AM

One of my professors and some students from my university went to NO last year during spring break with Habitat for Humanity. I think I even posted this back on the old board when MapleLeaf was asking for ideas.
My professor showed us some pictures and told us some stories as well. From what I remember, some people were living in new trailer parks until their homes were gutted. No schools were open and likely would not be open for a long time. I don't think the homeowners were lazy. They cannot be expected to work on their houses 24/7 if they have jobs. And I would guess that in many cases, it wouldn't be safe for residents to clean up their houses alone (because of the mould problem). It is better for them to help the volunteers who come in to repair the damage at least for the initial cleanup.
Old 12 January 2007, 05:34 PM

One other factor - if, IF you are able to rebuild your home, why rebuild when your neighbors cannot? Is that the kind of neighborhood you want to live in?

Of course not. In my area, about 50 miles away, we have become fully loaded with people in the last 2 years. We are building new schools, homes everywhere, and the economy is booming, jobs are plentiful, workers are scarce. And if you want to drive to NO, it's easy.

Where would you guys choose? I think that's what the real situation is here.
Old 13 January 2007, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThistleS View Post
MapleLeaf, were you there as part of an organization? I cannot donate my time unfortunately but I would like to make a monetary contribution, if that would be effective and possible.
I was there as part of Hillel (Jewish student university group) International, Toronto Chapter. We met up with 4 other Hillel chapters (Boston, Florida, Maryland, New York) there, and we had a total of 79 students.
Old 14 January 2007, 09:11 PM
HerrLip

As good a place as any for a first post.

I'm from the NOLA metro area. Despite the horrible state of some areas, a large portion of the city and surrounding area are up and running. Not quite the same, but there's a definite element of normalcy to much of it. Frankly, unless one goes looking for the bad areas, a visitor likely wouldn't guess a hurricane passed nearby if they didn't know.

And the place doesn't smell any worse than it did before. But just wait until the next one comes by, because if doesn't hit, people will likely be returning to a town where everyone has dumped everything in their refrigerator on the curb, where it will sit outside in 90+ degree F weather at high humidity for days during an evacuation, without garbage pickup. Plague anyone?
Old 14 January 2007, 09:13 PM

Borg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrLip View Post
Frankly, unless one goes looking for the bad areas, a visitor likely wouldn't guess a hurricane passed nearby if they didn't know.
Assuming they don't take I-10 in, I guess?
Old 15 January 2007, 02:13 AM

We went to New Orleans after our wedding in October, and we took I-10 in. We really didn't see too much damage. But I don't know how much we would've seen anyway, travelling at those speeds on unfamiliar highway. I was more focused on not getting run off the road by those crazy Louisiana drivers than gawking at my surroundings. I was expecting things to be a lot worse that what they were. But we stayed smack in the French Quarter, and we didn't go seeking the areas that hadn't been touched since Katrina. Walking around the FQ though, we could see the water line on a lot of the buildings and a lot of businesses weren't open and were boarded up still.
Old 15 January 2007, 02:29 AM

Vanishing

My brother and three of my cousins have been down in NOLA rebuilding houses. My uncle bought some houses down there, got his nephews to work for him fixing them up and then he's planning on reselling them.

They said they have the most horrible time getting inspections done. Once the guy didn't show up, but signed off on the house anyway. Now I know my kin do good work (they all have construction backgrounds) but not everybody does, that is why inspections are needed. Other times they would wait weeks without being able to do much because they were waiting for inspections to happen.

They have had a rough time of it down there. They have been bouncing between Indiana(where we are and half their family) Florida(where the uncle and the other half of the family live) and NOLA. In almost about a year the four of them completed one house and are halfway on two others.

My brother was on the lam that whole time. While he was there the military police checked his ID found his warrents and tossed him in jail. Indiana didn't want to extradite, so they let him go after a week, but I guess it was absolutly terrible in there. He said there was coke, crack, meth, pot, heroin, money and weapons all present in the cell he was tossed into. He had the forethought to leave everything with my cousins, he said someone tried to rob him as soon as he was in there, he pulled his pockets out and made it clear he didn't have anything to steal. Then it took him three weeks to get his ID back.

Good for you for for volunteering, and it is a shame, there should be more going on to restore the living conditions down there.
Old 16 January 2007, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Indiana didn't want to extradite
Thanks. Now I am sitting here humming "Indiana wants me, lord I can't go back there..." Well except Indiana didn't want him but, well, um, nevermind .