snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 09 August 2018, 10:50 PM

Icon19

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
So the claim is that flat lands don't burn, in California? What is your point, exactly?
Crazy environmental laws have prevented responsible flattening of carefully selected mountain ranges.
Old 09 August 2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
Since when does a post need a point?
Um, OK. It seemed to me you had been arguing with previous posts (which consists, generally, of making claims or having a point you are advancing). You claimed flatlands don't burn. People provided evidence to the contrary. It seemed like you were correcting or limiting your previous claim to say only that flatlands don't burn in California. I was not following what the significance of that claim might be, or what point you might be advancing, so I asked.

You're obviously free to make pointless posts, or posts in which you refuse to disclose your point. I was assuming that you were not doing one of those, and I wanted to understand what you were arguing.
Old 11 August 2018, 03:13 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
Slight hijack: I just had an idea a few moments ago that I think might have some merit. It would be a thread -- possibly in Soapbox, possibly Fun House, perhaps somewhere else -- which might be called something like "He's Tweeting again...." (I expect someone can come up with something more clever.)

The intent would be something along the lines of most of the threads in the "We've Got Mail" section: people could post any of Trump's more ridiculous tweets (i.e., most of them) and we could then post our snarky responses. It wouldn't be so much for serious fact-checking/debunking (plenty of that going on in the media) as just letting us vent, snark, pound our heads against the wall, etc., without having to start a new thread every time he says something that makes the editors of the Onion have to raise the bar on their satire again.

(Not to say that those of particular significance or importance might not still deserve their own threads.)

Just a thought. Might help those of us who care to, tear out a little less of our hair -- and give a place to avoid for those who just don't wanna know.
I kind of agree. Rather than make new threads every time Trump tweets, why not have one all-purpose thread?

I imagine that everyone who works for The Onion spends their days crying and drinking, because Trump renders all parody and satire moot. A main technique with both art forms is comedic exaggeration, taking things to ridiculous extremes as a way of commenting on whatever issue is being discussed. The trouble with that is there is no exaggeration with Trump. You can’t take Trump to the extreme because he IS the extreme. As soon as you release your well-crafted satire, Trump will say or do something that renders your satire quaint, simply because your caricature is actually more restrained and reasonable than the actual person in question.