snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Techno-Babble

Old 16 May 2017, 06:10 PM

Tantrum I'm trying to clear the cache on my Android

But my phone keeps crashing. I've been having that issue since last Thursday. It doesn't matter whether I'm online or not. I'll be doing something and suddenly the phone winks out and the home screen reappears. Everything points to a need to clear the cache, maybe offload the two million photos of Gobi I have on my phone, but when I go into storage, the crash happens before the stored items can even completely show themselves. Any advice would be most helpful; I'm thinking that I'm going have to hook the phone up to my laptop to clear out everything.
Old 16 May 2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
I'm thinking that I'm going have to hook the phone up to my laptop to clear out everything.
Have you tried remove the memory chip and running that way for a little while? It would exonerate or condemn the memory chip. Try that and go from there.

OY
Old 16 May 2017, 08:01 PM

Baseball

I had a similar problem.

Mine was the battery. Even though it was at 80%, it would say low power and crash. I could only get it to work reliably with it plugged in.

Turns out there is a chip in the battery that allows it to communicate to the phone. If that chip starts to malfunction, it will mess with your phone.

So, I would recommend trying to clear cache with it plugged in. If it works, it might be your batter.

Good luck.
Old 18 May 2017, 02:41 PM

Cheer

After trying and failing to clear the cache while having the phone plugged into my laptop, I disconnected the phone, turned it off and removed the battery and chips, then reversed everything. Just what the Snopesters ordered. I was able to do some serious cleaning/moving photos off of the phone, etc and it works great now.
Note to self: don't forget to run CCleaner once a week.