snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 09 May 2017, 02:10 PM

1. Architect Philip Johnson died in 2005 in his famous house made of what material? Glass?

2. What elementary particles are named for the fact that they hold quarks together to form protons and neutrons? Gluons?

3. What city was the most recent--and the only one in the last fifty years--to have a king open its Summer Olympics? Barcelona?

4. What show has been hosted by mandolinist Chris Thile since its creator retired in 2016 after forty-two years? A Prairie Home Companion (which my local station has stopped carrying since the switch.)

5. According to Bernardino de Sahagún, Mexican "pozole" stew was originally made using what kind of meat? WAG - human ("long pig")?

6. What are the iconic last three words of the July 1896 speech that includes the line, "You shall not press down upon the brow of labor this crown of thorns"? Cross of Gold?

No idea for 7.
Old 09 May 2017, 02:34 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Architect Philip Johnson died in 2005 in his famous house made of what material?
Paper. I've never heard of Mr. Johnson, but won't let that stop me from answering the question.
Quote:

2. What elementary particles are named for the fact that they hold quarks together to form protons and neutrons?
Wow. Two in a row. Flavoids (which aren't actually real, afaik).
Quote:

3. What city was the most recent--and the only one in the last fifty years--to have a king open its Summer Olympics?
Calgary. I confess I don't pay much attention to the Olympics.
Quote:

4. What show has been hosted by mandolinist Chris Thile since its creator retired in 2016 after forty-two years?
Something about bluegrass or folk, probably. Live from something-wood?
Quote:

5. According to Bernardino de Sahagún, Mexican "pozole" stew was originally made using what kind of meat?
I won't say what first popped to mind, both the avoid giving offense and because I don't think it's right (I'm running 5 for 5 in that aspect). I will say rattlesnake.
Quote:

6. What are the iconic last three words of the July 1896 speech that includes the line, "You shall not press down upon the brow of labor this crown of thorns"?
Gah. 6 for 6. We will strike.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these countries, listed in this order? The United States, the Soviet Union, the Soviet Union, Russia, Russia, Bulgaria, India, Norway.
Well, it isn't the coldest non-arctic temperature, not with India on the list. Nor the highest, without some of the Saharan countries. I'm going to say most expensive storms in the past 10 years.

Pretty sure I didn't get a single answer correct this week. Doesn't make the game less fun, though.

Seaboe
Old 09 May 2017, 02:52 PM

Pig

Quote:
1. Architect Philip Johnson died in 2005 in his famous house made of what material?

2. What elementary particles are named for the fact that they hold quarks together to form protons and neutrons?

3. What city was the most recent--and the only one in the last fifty years--to have a king open its Summer Olympics?

4. What show has been hosted by mandolinist Chris Thile since its creator retired in 2016 after forty-two years?

5. According to Bernardino de Sahagún, Mexican "pozole" stew was originally made using what kind of meat?

6. What are the iconic last three words of the July 1896 speech that includes the line, "You shall not press down upon the brow of labor this crown of thorns"?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these countries, listed in this order? The United States, the Soviet Union, the Soviet Union, Russia, Russia, Bulgaria, India, Norway.
1. Glass?
2. Gluons?
3. Barcelona
4. Prairie Home Companion
5. Armadillo?
6. Cross of Gold
7. hmm.
Old 09 May 2017, 03:27 PM

1. Glass.

2. Gluons?

3. Barcelona.

4. "Prairie Home Companion"

5. It's people! They're making our pozole out of people!

6. Don't know.

7. No idea.
Old 09 May 2017, 03:42 PM

Baseball 1, maybe 2 this week

1. Glass bottles?

2. Gluons

3. Tokyo? Hirohito count as king?

4. Since 1974? No clue. Maybe Star Search?

5. Guessing pork

6. God Bless America?

7. Olympic weightlifting champions?
Old 16 May 2017, 11:15 AM

Hello, all.

Here we go with ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

Johnson's iconic Connecticut house was made of glass. I've never been, but I sure hope he had curtains.

Gluons work like glue, in simple terms. So sad when a horson dies and gets made into gluons.

Juan Carlos of Spain opened the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona. Before that, the last male monarch to do so was Hirohito at the 1964 Tokyo games.

Thile replaced non-mandolinist Garrison Keillor as the host of A Prairie Home Companion on public radio.

Today, the meat in this delicious hominy dish is usually pork, but Sahagún said that the Aztecs ate it ceremonially with human meat instead. But keep in mind that Sahagún was a Spanish missionary, and they were prone to exaggerating the bloodthirsty eating habits of the original Mexicans.

The historic William Jennings Bryan speech is usually known by its final phrase: "you shall not crucify mankind upon a CROSS OF GOLD!" Smash cut to black. "Cross of Gold" appears on the screen in red letters. William Jennings Bryan will return in Avengers: Infinity War.

Those are the home countries of the world's top-ranked chess players ever since there's been such a ranking system in place, from Bobby Fischer up through Magnus Carlsen.THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What's the only regnal name used by exactly three British rulers since the Norman Conquest?

2. What kind of plant is the love interest for The Little Prince?

3. The latest LP by English-Tamil rapper Mathangi Arulpragasam is one word, her stage name spelled backward. What is the album called?

4. What U.S. state's "Piedmont Triad" includes three of its largest cities, including High Point, the "Furniture Capital of the World"?

5. What actor starred in the three most Oscar-nominated movies of 2002, all released within the same two-week period in December: Chicago, The Hours, and Gangs of New York?

6. What does the 'L' stand for in the scientific acronyms LCD, LPG, and LOx?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV series? Anger Management, Cheers, Eastbound and Down, Hope and Faith, The Real Housewives of Orange County, Who's the Boss.

Enjoy!
Old 16 May 2017, 12:10 PM

2. A rose.

5. Daniel Day Lewis?

6. Liquid.
Old 16 May 2017, 12:15 PM

Well I know number 1 anyway! And number 6.

But surely the Furniture Capital of the World is High Wycombe? Or is that only the capital of the UK? Or the Chair Capital of the World?
Old 16 May 2017, 12:26 PM

I think #1 is James .
Old 16 May 2017, 01:11 PM

2. What kind of plant is the love interest for The Little Prince? a rose

3. The latest LP by English-Tamil rapper Mathangi Arulpragasam is one word, her stage name spelled backward. What is the album called? "Aim?"

4. What U.S. state's "Piedmont Triad" includes three of its largest cities, including High Point, the "Furniture Capital of the World"? Must be Vermont

5. What actor starred in the three most Oscar-nominated movies of 2002, all released within the same two-week period in December: Chicago, The Hours, and Gangs of New York? It must be John C. Reilly (although "starred" might be a stretch.)

6. What does the 'L' stand for in the scientific acronyms LCD, LPG, and Lox? liquid
Old 16 May 2017, 01:13 PM

I think #4 is North Carolina.
Old 16 May 2017, 02:14 PM

Baseball I'm one for sure, might be one more, if I lucked out.

1. I can only come up with names that have lots of them (George, Henry, Edward), or under three (Elizabeth and Charles). I'm going with my name... Richard!

2. Rose?

3. No clue. Ma?

4. 1 in 50 chance... Washington.

5. I have seen none of those films. I'm guessing Richard Gere (just because we share a first name)

6. An actual answer I know... Liquid.

7. I've only ever watched one of these, Cheers, so I'm going to say that they all launched a very successful spinoff.
Old 16 May 2017, 02:54 PM

1. James?

2. Rose.

3. No idea.

4. North Carolina.

5. John C. Reily.

6. Liquid.

7. I know that Cheers and Who's the Boss both had spinoffs that lasted less than one season, so I'll go with that.
Old 16 May 2017, 03:03 PM

All I remember is that it was a beautiful flower

Liquid
Old 16 May 2017, 03:44 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What's the only regnal name used by exactly three British rulers since the Norman Conquest?
Charles. I'm second thoughts, but since I can't come up with anything better, I'll leave it at that.
Quote:

The Boabob tree?
Quote:

3. The latest LP by English-Tamil rapper Mathangi Arulpragasam is one word, her stage name spelled backward. What is the album called?
Rula. I'm sure that's wrong, but wth.
Quote:

4. What U.S. state's "Piedmont Triad" includes three of its largest cities, including High Point, the "Furniture Capital of the World"?
Vermont. Actually it's probably farther south than that, but I've decided the first answers will be the last this week.
Quote:

5. What actor starred in the three most Oscar-nominated movies of 2002, all released within the same two-week period in December: Chicago, The Hours, and Gangs of New York?
Richard Gere.
Quote:

Liquid
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV series? Anger Management, Cheers, Eastbound and Down, Hope and Faith, The Real Housewives of Orange County, Who's the Boss.
They all survived the departure of the original female lead.

Seaboe
Old 16 May 2017, 04:05 PM

Reporter

Quote:

1. Richard?
2. No idea
3. M.I.A.'s "AIM"
4. North Carolina?
5. I've only seen two but I'm sure John C. Reilly was in both of them
6. Liquid
7. a character was a former baseball player
Old 17 May 2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyHere4KJT View Post

7. ...
Ah, I think you've got the right answer on that one!
Old 17 May 2017, 03:43 PM

I'd quibble that unscripted shows have participants, not characters, but I'm a grumpy old nitpicker.
Old 23 May 2017, 11:17 AM

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

There have been exactly three Richards, mostly because Richard III was so terrible that nobody wanted to follow in his footsteps.

He's in love with a Rose. I'm not sure how that would work out biologically--or botanically? I hope he consults the band Poison about this.

Arulpragasam records as M.I.A., and the album, which she says will be her last, is called AIM.

The other two are Greensboro and Winston-Salem. This is North Carolina.

John C. Reilly was the hardest working man in show business...for exactly two weeks.

Liquid. These initialisms (not really acronyms, I guess) stand for liquid crystal display, liquid (or liquefied) petroleum gas, and liquid oxygen.

Each TV show has or had a character who's a retired baseball player. Maybe not all of them were Sam Malone-level greats, but even a Tony Micelli-type journeyman deserves his shot.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Hannibal fought for what ancient city-state located on the Lake of Tunis?

2. The expression "to pull out all the stops" originated with what kind of performer?

3. Who quietly snuck out of Owings Mills, Maryland in fifteen Mayflower moving vans on the night of March 29, 1984?

4. Laura Dern, Oprah Winfrey, Demi Moore, and Billy Bob Thornton were among the celeb cameos on "The Puppy Episode," the April 30, 1997 sitcom episode on which what happened?

5. What clothing retailer named for a New Jersey town now uses a sideways heart for the first letter in its logo?

6. Silver iodide is the chemical most commonly used to seed what?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these well-known people? Primo Carnera, Jean Cocteau, Farrah Fawcett, Art Fleming, Henry Morgan, C.S. Lewis, Sergei Prokofiev, Georg Solti, Slim Whitman, Orville Wright.

Enjoy!
Old 23 May 2017, 11:55 AM

1. Carthage.

2. An organist.

3. Hmm, Richard Nixon? Probably not but it must be somebody like that.

4. No idea. Billy Bob Thornton cooked a puppy and the others ate it?

5. No idea.

6. Clouds, for rain.

Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these well-known people? Primo Carnera, Jean Cocteau, Farrah Fawcett, Art Fleming, Henry Morgan, C.S. Lewis, Sergei Prokofiev, Georg Solti, Slim Whitman, Orville Wright.
Did they all die on the same day as JFK was assassinated?