snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 18 July 2018, 11:33 AM

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
My god, it's an automatic transmission. That is blasphemy for both a Mini and a rally car.

That's nothing. Many years ago, I saw a Corvette with a baby seat in the back. Now that's just wrong!

Car seen yesterday: a Cadillac with a vanity plate that read OUTLAW.

Dawn--bad to the bone--Storm
Old 18 July 2018, 02:20 PM

Glasses

Thanks, Richard W. That is indeed the car. I wonder how it ended up at a defunct garage that is about to be bulldozed in favor of an apartment building?

Yesterday I saw a Toyota Tacoma about the same vintage as mine with a personalized license plate reading Athena. This caught my eye because I have a friend whose daughter's name is Athena.

Seaboe
Old 18 July 2018, 06:50 PM

1968 Volkswagen Fastback, aka Type 3, matte charcoal color.

Also happens to be the model of car that my parents let me drive around after getting my license.
Old 19 July 2018, 02:58 AM

1) An iconic and completely unmistakable 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air, in two tone turquoise and white.

2) A Dodge Viper, dark gray. It almost looked like something Darth Vader would drive.
Old 19 July 2018, 03:04 AM

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen of the caramels View Post
Some-one round here has either a Midget or a Spitfire. I have never seen it parked so I have still to get a positive marque for it.

Totally wrong ..It's an MGB..However it is an unaltered British car because the steering wheel is on the correct side.
Old 19 July 2018, 04:00 AM

I do find it difficult to distinguish a Midget from an MGB. As far as I can tell the only difference is the size and that’s hard to see unless you compare the two side by side.
Old 19 July 2018, 05:19 AM

Today I saw a vehicle that was the front half of a VW bus in front and a pickup truck bed in back.
Old 19 July 2018, 02:03 PM

Glasses

I've seen those before, crockoduck, although not lately. I haven't a clue what they'd be good for. I once drove a VW bus up the Vantage Hill (a 10 mile slog up out of the Columbia Gorge onto the Plateau), before they added the truck lane. It was awful. I think my top speed on the flattest parts was something like 40.

Seaboe
Old 19 July 2018, 03:45 PM

Yeah, I don't know if this was someone's graft job or not, we do see a fair number of those around here, but I'd hope that if it was they put a better engine in it.
Old 19 July 2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Today I saw a vehicle that was the front half of a VW bus in front and a pickup truck bed in back.
VW did make a pickup version of the Type 2, but it was only sold in the US for a few years before the "chicken tax" (a tariff on imported trucks passed in retaliation for West Germany's tariff on American frozen chicken) basically put a stop to their importation in 1963. I believe you couldn't get the cargo van version here either, only the passenger version, because having a back seat made it "not a truck".

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I'd hope that if it was they put a better engine in it.
I don't. I hate it when people modify old cars like that. I much prefer old vehicles be kept completely original, even if they were slow.
Old 19 July 2018, 04:32 PM

That was what I saw alright.

But personally, I don't see things as valuable just because they're old. If it was bad when it was new, it's still bad now that it's old and there's no reason to not upgrade if you're still using it.
Old 19 July 2018, 04:48 PM

I'm not so sure they were "bad" when they were new, but more like our standards have become higher now. In 1950s Europe that was considered an acceptable speed. Now we expect every vehicle to be able to maintain 70 mph at all times, even while towing a trailer uphill (slight exaggeration, maybe).
Old 19 July 2018, 06:47 PM

Glasses

I'm a little older than you, WildaBeast, and I can't remember the speed of VW Vans being anything but a joke in the US clear back into the 60s. A popular bumper sticker for them said something like Please be patient, I'm pedaling as fast as I can.

Seaboe
Old 19 July 2018, 07:22 PM

I'm not old enough to remember the 60s (due to not being born until 81), but my memories of VWs of any kind were that they were regarded as small and cheap and mostly associated with hippies up until Volkswagen's marketing campaign to give themselves a modern image in the 90s.
Old 19 July 2018, 08:16 PM

I did say "In Europe". I'm sure Americans' expectations were different.

Quote:
The German nickname for the Type 2 is “Bulli.” Even the earliest 25 hp (30 gross) buses were unstoppable, in their lower gears at least, according to this 1951 chart depicting the climbing ability of a fully-loaded Bus. 23% is steep, and with the 30 hp (36 gross) motor that came along a few years later, that first gear climbing ability went up to 24.5%. Fourth gear might have best been left off here, as 3.5% is laughable, as is the 80 kmh top speed (49 mph). But in 1951 Europe, it was a perfectly reasonable speed for a bus or truck.
And that article points out that the VW vans/trucks were considered commercial vehicles over there. Hardly any one on that side of the pond bought them as personal transportation.
Old 20 July 2018, 12:15 AM

Driver

I've had the occasion over my lifetime to drive a couple of type 2s. It's the only vehicle I've ever driven that scared the snot out of me. They are death traps.

One of them belonged to my aunt. She was eventually blown off of a 2 lane highway from the wake of a semi truck travelling in the opposite direction. It rolled twice before coming to a stop. The thing was totaled.

Good riddance.
Old 20 July 2018, 12:23 AM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
VW did make a pickup version of the Type 2, but it was only sold in the US for a few years before the "chicken tax" (a tariff on imported trucks passed in retaliation for West Germany's tariff on American frozen chicken) basically put a stop to their importation in 1963. I believe you couldn't get the cargo van version here either, only the passenger version, because having a back seat made it "not a truck".

Oh...some-one round here has the cargo van version(?). I see it quite often. I thought it was some kind of post sale remake..

picture from the link.
Old 20 July 2018, 12:30 AM

Driver

Quote:
I do find it difficult to distinguish a Midget from an MGB. As far as I can tell the only difference is the size and thatís hard to see unless you compare the two side by side.

All three, MGB, Midget and Spitfire seemed to be popular first cars with my co-workers in the late 1980's-early 1990's back in Blighty.

They were low cost and apparently had a reasonable insurance value for a novice driver. Come winter, people tended to be less enamored of them and so they were often side-lined for a less chilly car and sold off in the spring.
Old 20 July 2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen of the caramels View Post
They were low cost and apparently had a reasonable insurance value for a novice driver.
Coincidentally, there was a post about the 1976 Midget on my favorite car blog yesterday. According to one of the commenters, a Midget cost $4219 back then, equivalent to $18,685 today. The closest modern equivalent would be the Mazda MX-5 Miata, with a base price of over $25,000, and that grows quickly as you add options.
Old 21 July 2018, 05:00 AM

Quote:
1) An iconic and completely unmistakable 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air, in two tone turquoise and white.
And today I saw a Ď56 Chevy. Anyone want to take bets on whether Iíll see a Ď55 on Sunday?