snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 20 July 2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
I don't know why, but for some reason, the term "empower" drives me nuts.
I raise you “Leverage”
Old 20 July 2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
For me, it's the words "chappie" and "Aspie."
Aspie? how is that derived??

Quote:
Another little thing that annoys me related to fanfiction: pairing names. There's rarely any that make actual sense and work. Sometimes I wonder if Suzanne Collins named her MCs Katniss and Peeta to try to defeat the people who come up with pairing names; who would admit to shipping KatPee or Peeniss after all?
Thats fantastic! I wonder if that was intentional? has anyone ever asked her?

Quote:
It didn't work, though. They just named that ship EverLark.
OK here is another I detest “Ship”
Old 20 July 2018, 11:15 AM

Aspie usually refers to somebody with Asperger's. YMMV though, I am in the medical field and so that is how I hear it.
Old 20 July 2018, 12:21 PM

Which is the annoying meaning of "chappie"? I don't know about South Africa but here it would be a man, as a diminutive of "chap", as in "cheeky chappie". Not really used enough to be annoying.

Is the use referring to a chapter the annoying one? I've never heard that, but I can imagine it would be.
Old 20 July 2018, 01:00 PM

Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
I don't know why, but for some reason, the term "empower" drives me nuts.
Me too! I think it's because it's used to imply that power is good and, by extension, more power is always better. That's obviously not true. What people really mean when they say "empower" is "enable", but that word has been ruined by negative connotations in the last few decades.
Old 20 July 2018, 02:14 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
I raise you “Leverage”
Oh, but that's a TV show.

Seaboe
Old 20 July 2018, 03:07 PM

I've come around on a lot of terms I used to have as pet peeves. I still twitch a little at "baby bump" but I'm at a point in life now where it has valid use, and it's less clinical (and more specific) than "visibly pregnant" and also less euphemistic than "showing."

My LTTAM: I've probably vented in the past about acquring some new skin allergy each year. This year it appears to be sodium laureth sulfate, which is in many liquid soaps. Since we moved to our apartment, SO prefers liquid soaps so I've just been using his and couldn't figure out why my skin was so dry and awful. I stopped using them and everything cleared up almost entirely within a day. The annoying thing is my facewash also has the ingredient, so I need to choose a new facewash, and pawn the current open bottle and the unopened spare in the linen closet off on a friend who uses it...

Do skin allergies sometimes go away? Like if I avoid these soaps for a while, is it possible the day could come where I can use them again (in strict moderation)? I ask because a) I had been using the face soap with no or at least negligible symptoms for ages, it was only once I started using the body wash daily as well that everything seemed to break out and b) when I was little, I had a rash reaction to Secret deodorant and avoided it for several years, then tried it again as a teenager and it was fine- but I'm not sure if *I* changed or if the product ingredients changed.
Old 20 July 2018, 04:08 PM

My allergies/reactions to things have changed in the past.

I added reactions because I tend to get side effects from medications like crazy, but the side effects can change if I take the medication for a period of time and go off of it and then again later on.

I'm sure you're aware of it, but almost all shampoos also have sodium laureth/lauryl sulfate in it. And I think it's in most conditioners, toothpaste, and mouthwashes, too.
Old 20 July 2018, 08:10 PM

I have sensitive skin and throughout my life what triggers the sensitivity has constantly changed. There are things I couldn't abide as a child which aren't an issue now and other things, like the steering wheel of my last car which suddenly were an issue.

*ETA: I use the term chappie to refer to my God-children, also docky and several other names.
Old 21 July 2018, 02:32 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Which is the annoying meaning of "chappie"? I don't know about South Africa but here it would be a man, as a diminutive of "chap", as in "cheeky chappie". Not really used enough to be annoying.

Is the use referring to a chapter the annoying one? I've never heard that, but I can imagine it would be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
*ETA: I use the term chappie to refer to my God-children, also docky and several other names.
You guys didn't read my original post, did you?

I have nothing against South African slang or Beachlife!'s godchildren. I just hate Chappie because too many people who write fanfiction, use it as a cutsey-pooh way of saying Chapter. I don't know why they have anything against Chapter, especially since Chappie has roughly the same amount of letters, so it's not like it's a shortened version of the word.
Old 21 July 2018, 02:47 AM

I gotta agree, that usage of chappie is annoying at best. I don't have words to describe the at worst...
Old 21 July 2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
You guys didn't read my original post, did you?
I did, i just wasn't quite sure whether the "chapter" meaning was the one you were annoyed by, or whether that was the meaning you thought it should have and you'd been annoyed by random South Africans instead...

I've never heard it to mean "chapter" before but I can see that would be annoying! Have people started to use it metaphorically to refer to stages in their life yet? You could even combine the two meanings: "My new boyfriend is the start of a new chappie in my life!"
Old 21 July 2018, 12:34 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Oh, but that's a TV show.

Seaboe
And a good one!
Old 21 July 2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
And a good one!
I ‘aint not never ‘erd of it.
Old 21 July 2018, 02:42 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
Do skin allergies sometimes go away? Like if I avoid these soaps for a while, is it possible the day could come where I can use them again (in strict moderation)? I ask because a) I had been using the face soap with no or at least negligible symptoms for ages, it was only once I started using the body wash daily as well that everything seemed to break out and b) when I was little, I had a rash reaction to Secret deodorant and avoided it for several years, then tried it again as a teenager and it was fine- but I'm not sure if *I* changed or if the product ingredients changed.
I've had a couple allergies disappear as I aged. No skin allergies, though. But, my younger daughter had a friend in HS who had moderate reactions (not life threatening, thank goodness) to some things. I think the perfumes in soaps irritated her skin, among several other things. She ended up getting treated for it, and as long as she does not have a major exposure, she no longer reacts.

Don't know if that helped.
Old 22 July 2018, 04:01 PM

There is a company that makes good laundry detergent, free of all the bad things, but they are more than twice as expensive as the ALL perfume free, dye free, detergent. I like to support the smaller, local company but I can't justify the extra cost. They used to be a LOT more affordable, but they got trendy.
Old 23 July 2018, 10:47 AM

dfresh, is the local company's product more concentrated? if so, it may go a lot further, thereby effectively reducing or even eliminating the price difference.

I've no idea whether that's actually a factor, though. While IME the really cheap liquid soaps are generally excessively diluted, I've run into some fancy brands that were also mostly water.
Old 23 July 2018, 02:39 PM

Glasses

My experience with the name brand (specifically Tide and All) free-of-allergens versions is that they are quite concentrated. You need only about 1/4 cup for a standard load of laundry.

I don't know that you can get much more concentrated than that without people using too much detergent because of difficulty in measuring.

Seaboe
Old 25 July 2018, 07:53 AM

Uuughhhh, the drain in my backyard is overflowing again. It's draining very slowly but whenever anyone has a shower or any other activity that uses a lot of water it overflows and sends a small river across the yard. It's mostly grey water but if it continues like the last time there'll be more and more sewage mixed in as it continues.

Hopefully the landlord will be able to get it fixed faster this time, the last time it happened they had to send plumbers out three times before they got the blockage properly cleared.
Old 25 July 2018, 02:04 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
I ‘aint not never ‘erd of it.
Leverage, 2008-2012.

GM, if the blockage keeps recurring, you might have a section of pipe that needs replacing.

LTTAM: the work going on downstairs makes it feel like I'm working in the waiting area of a dentist's office, while the drill goes on and on...

Seaboe