snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 30 May 2018, 05:54 PM

Flame

Lately I've learned that menopause and Prednisone don't want to play together. I've taken Prednisone in the past without any side effects, but this past go-round? Hot flashes from Hell! Coincidence?
I regard Prednisone as an old friend that I need to see when I get a really bad allergy/bronchitis flare-up. I don't like speaking to his agent (an MD) and arranging for a visit, but sometimes I have to. I never stay for very long; about two weeks--don't want to wear out my welcome.
Old 12 June 2018, 10:58 PM

After traveling down the Wikipedia rabbit hole, I discovered that Wikipedia has a rather lengthy article about Wikipedia.
Old 13 June 2018, 06:45 AM

There's also a very long Wikipedia entry on the lamest Wikipedia edit wars
Old 13 June 2018, 09:28 AM

You know you've really gone "down the rabbit hole" when you start to find the arguments on Wikipedia talk pages more interesting than the articles themselves. If I'm wasting time on Wikipedia (and have got bored of looking at lists of islands) I always check the talk page to see if there have been any interesting edit wars or disagreements...
Old 13 June 2018, 03:09 PM

Sounds pretty tame compared to the edit wars on TVTropes.
Old 13 June 2018, 06:19 PM

The only time I looked at those was back when the argument was going on about renaming all the tropes that were named after some (more or less) obscure character who the original page creator had thought epitomised the trope... I never got involved!

(Although if I had done, I'd have agreed with the change - naming something after a character usually does neither the trope nor the character any good; it means a casual observer has no idea what the trope's about from its name, and can't find that trope if they're looking for it. And also, unless the character is completely one-dimensional they've probably got more going on than just that one trope so it's not a good representation of the character, and even if you know the character you still might think of entirely the wrong thing...)
Old 14 June 2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
There's also a very long Wikipedia entry on the lamest Wikipedia edit wars
Hey, the path that led me to the article about Wikipedia actually passed through an article that was involved in one of the lamest edit wars. It went something like "Better off Dead (film)" (Because I was trying to remember what other movie I'd seen a certain actor in) -> "Revenge of the Nerds" -> "Nerd" -> "White and Nerdy" -> "Straight Outta Lynwood" -> back to "White and Nerdy" -> "Wikipedia" (because editing Wikipedia is one of the "nerdy" things character in the song does). There was also a side trip to the pages about Lynwood and Compton, where I learned they're right next to each other.

Apparently there's an edit war over whether or the word "Outta" in "Straight Outta Lynwood" should be capitalized. That makes me wonder if there's a similar debate for Straight Outta Compton. It wouldn't surprise me if Weird Al fans are bigger sticklers for grammar than NWA fans, though.
Old 21 June 2018, 04:51 PM

I learned that the card game Rook was developed by Parker Brothers for those with religious objections to standard playing cards.
Old 22 June 2018, 12:42 PM

Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
I learned that the card game Rook was developed by Parker Brothers for those with religious objections to standard playing cards.
I was curious what those objections might be...

I was half right
Quote:
because of their association with gambling and cartomancy.
but I did not expect cartomancy!

[monthy python voice]No one expects cartomancy![/monthy python voice]
Old 24 June 2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
People in my church played Uno since they did not gamble.
Old 20 July 2018, 01:56 PM

Glasses

Today I learned that if I use a brick to charge my Fitbit, and I put the brick in my pocket, the Fitbit will count my steps while it's charging.

Seaboe
Old 20 July 2018, 02:27 PM

Mouse

Today I learned that a pineapple starts out as hundreds of individual flowers which eventually join together to form a single fruit. Every scale on the outside of a pineapple is a tip of one of the flowers.

I also learned that we have a rat problem because when I woke up this morning the pineapple I'd left sitting out on the kitchen bench was gone and my housemate told me he threw it out because he saw a rat nibbling on it ...
Old 20 July 2018, 05:22 PM

Glasses

Did you check the housemate's breath for pineapple scent?

Old 20 July 2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Today I learned that if I use a brick to charge my Fitbit, and I put the brick in my pocket, the Fitbit will count my steps while it's charging.

Seaboe
Is this one supposed to be in the "things you learned in your dreams" thread? Sometimes it's hard to tell...
Old 20 July 2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Is this one supposed to be in the "things you learned in your dreams" thread? Sometimes it's hard to tell...
Is this one of those US vs. UK English things again? Here "brick" is a somewhat slangy term for the charging cable, particularly the ones used for laptops, because often times the part with the transformer and other electronics inside is big and rectangular, like a brick. I'm guessing in this case it refers to one of those batteries you can use to charge electronic devices on the go, although this is the first time I've heard it used that way before. Do you not have that meaning in the UK?
Old 21 July 2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Do you not have that meaning in the UK?
I’ve not heard the term before, I presumed “Brick” was a brand name of a portable battery stored charger!
Old 21 July 2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Is this one of those US vs. UK English things again? Here "brick" is a somewhat slangy term for the charging cable, particularly the ones used for laptops, because often times the part with the transformer and other electronics inside is big and rectangular, like a brick. I'm guessing in this case it refers to one of those batteries you can use to charge electronic devices on the go, although this is the first time I've heard it used that way before. Do you not have that meaning in the UK?
I'm American and haven't lived in the U.S. for more than 15 years. I'd forgotten about using the word "brick" for the power supply.
Old 21 July 2018, 02:39 PM

Baseball

Oddly enough, we use the term "brick" for when the device becomes completely dead. As in, it is nothing but a brick.

You'll hear it when people's phones die, "My phone just bricked" or "do you know anyone who can recover an Android brick?"
Old 21 July 2018, 05:11 PM

Yes, we use that in the UK too UEL. I've not heard it for a power supply unit, but I can see how it would refer to the sort for a laptop. From context it did seem to refer to a charger, but I couldn't understand why you'd put the power supply in your pocket (but not the Fitbit? Or is that in there too?) while charging something up anyway!

And if the device that's charging is in your pocket, wouldn't you expect it to count your steps as usual? I read it that the "brick" (whatever that was) was in Seaboe's pocket but not her Fitbit. Which didn't make sense to me, but sounded like something that might happen in a dream, especially if it was an actual brick...

Or did you in fact learn that if the charger, but not the device, is in your pocket then the device works as though it is in your pocket, Seaboe? That would surprise me too!
Old 23 July 2018, 02:15 PM

Glasses

I triggered a much longer conversation than I expected.

A brick is indeed a portable charger. The reason I didn't expect the Fitbit to count my steps is that I didn't think it could both charge and count at the same time. I have a Flex 2 (which I wear in a small pouch around my neck rather than my wrist). It is 3 cm long by 8 mm wide by 6 mm deep (i.e., very small) so yes, it was in the pocket along with the brick.

Seaboe