snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 05 July 2017, 06:49 AM

Like last year, I grilled hot dogs at the 4th of July block party in my mom's neighborhood.

Unlike last year, I actually got to eat one while it was still hot.
Old 10 July 2017, 12:50 PM

Whalephant

School supplies season is here!
Old 10 July 2017, 10:21 PM

I finally realised that the third book in my friend's children's book series had been published (Mabel Jones and the Doomsday Book by Will Mabbitt)... actually back in February, but I'd missed it because it had been delayed by a few months and I haven't been buying books this year. (And so have been avoiding bookshops for the most part). I bought this one under my "sequels are allowed" rule, and because it's a special case.

The thing that makes me happy is that it has a character in it that's named after me. (Wilkinson). Wilkinson is an elderly whippet who gets (spoiler) eaten by weasels. When Will asked me if I minded his using my name, he was worried that the scene might get cut by the editors, but it has apparently survived intact. Unlike Wilkinson.

So now, if I ever have to join in with another of those contrived corporate introduction games where you have to tell people something interesting about yourself, I have a new one to use.
Old 11 July 2017, 03:26 PM

Glasses

I decided to stop pressuring myself to work on a project with a fast approaching deadline. Since I came up with the deadline in the first place, and there are no negative consequences to changing it, I move the deadline out three months (and I'll move it again if I want to, so there! )

Seaboe
Old 11 July 2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
The thing that makes me happy is that it has a character in it that's named after me.
And I got a thank you credit in the acknowledgements at the end, even though I didn't do anything!
Old 14 July 2017, 03:52 PM

Baseball

Ocean City (MD) is running their ads again. The ads that show 'Vacation Days' being used for things like traffic court, driver's license renewal; helping someone move, etc. Then the ad shows fun things those Vacation Days can be used for, like going to the beach.
Old 15 July 2017, 06:59 PM

The little thing is 1 hour. That's how it took from the time my parents' neighbor put the house up for sale and she decided to accept the first offer. The offer was for only a little above the asking price, but she decided it's important to have a family with elementary age children there.

The house has been empty for 2 years, since she moved to an assisted living home (mobility issues and a multi-floor house don't mix), so it's really nice that it will be occupied again in just a few weeks. The house on the one side has been empty for almost 10 years, as there seems to be no hurry to sell the house. And the house on the other side might go up for sale, as the husband just passed away and the widow might want to move closer to her daughter. So there was a potential to have 3 empty houses in the neighborhood. Which is silly, since it's so close to Seattle, and annoying for my parents and the other neighbors.
Old 20 July 2017, 11:21 AM

Watchin' Rogue One on Netflix.
Old 20 July 2017, 03:18 PM

Glasses

My niece's lemon cookies (with vanilla ice cream).

Seaboe
Old 27 July 2017, 06:43 PM

Cheer

I signed up for a (free) yoga class at my workplace, and even though it's only been two classes, I'm very proud of myself for making that commitment. Another thing: my supervisor's very supportive.
Old 31 July 2017, 02:09 AM

I learned how to do a basic cable knit stitch today, and caught the ice cream truck just in time to get a popsicle when I was craving sweets and we had nothing in the house.
Old 01 August 2017, 04:54 PM

I just got home from a trip and went and picked up River from the kennel! Now I have my happy cat back!
Old 01 August 2017, 04:57 PM

I just found an unopened Ben and Jerry's in the freezer. It had somehow got lost in there. Good way to start August .
Old 07 August 2017, 06:05 PM

Cheer YES!

I finally found a long lost pillow case tucked into a living room chair! If I had not pulled the cushion off, I never would have found it!
Old 07 August 2017, 06:40 PM

On my first visit with a new doctor she was asking where I grew up. I told her and added that I moved after high school and have lived in Florida for over forty years.

"How old are you?" she asked.

When I told her I would be soon be sixty she just looked at me then flipped through my chart to make sure I was not lying.
Old 07 August 2017, 07:17 PM

Florida

How old was this doctor? Either that or she was just expecting you to a recent resident.
Old 09 August 2017, 01:22 AM

My local library's website finally allows you to sort your catalog search results by genre. Until now it's been so frustrating without the option to select "fiction" or "non-fiction."
Old 12 August 2017, 03:56 AM

A really large and expensive (at least for me) order I'd placed for food for a small gathering tonight got messed up in a minor way. Instead of three giant two foot sandwiches I wound up with about 25 3" pieces/sandwiches. The manager at the deli was absolutely amazing, though, and tried to get a replacement made before my event; unfortunately there was no time to make the special bread all over again. They actually arranged the bits on a big display platter for me (and did all the veggies/topping on another smaller platter) since they couldn't exactly reassemble it, and they took half off the price - which just floored me. I know they had to have taken a loss on that, and I was really understanding from the beginning (I've spent time in food service, I know what it's like to have people rage at you day in and out), so it's not like they had to try and placate an angry customer. While it wasn't what I'd originally wanted, the food wound up looking great (and more importantly, tasting great) and what could have been a huge disappointment and frustration was smoothed over seamlessly. Everyone had a great time in the end and there were just so many delicious leftovers.
Old 13 August 2017, 01:11 AM

I successfully donated blood for the first time today.

I tried donating twice at blood drives back in high school. The first time I was sent away because the tech couldn't find a vein; she brusquely told me to drink water next time. The next time, I drank so much water I had to get out of line twice to pee. That time they were able to find a vein, but something happened. I'm a little unclear on the details, but I was in a lot of pain and briefly lost consciousness. Someone, possibly someone who didn't know what they were talking about, possibly someone who did, told me it sounded like I'd had a vein collapse. Again the tech acted annoyed with me and made me feel terrible.

I've been too scared to go back since, which sucks because I really like the idea of donating blood. I'm not generally afraid of needles; I endured approximately eight zillion blood tests during the years I was on Accutane (and those folks never had trouble finding my veins, incidentally.) For the last decade and a half, I've been trying to screw up the courage to try again, and today I finally did it.

I think it helped that, as someone (on this board, I think, so thanks!) suggested, I went to a blood donation center rather than a blood drive in a high school gym, and I told them about my experience, so they sent me to their most experienced person. They were also really nice and not rushed, and they made me feel comfortable. I didn't feel faint at all this time, and was able to take a long walk through Westwood afterward. I feel good that I conquered my fear and maybe helped save a life.
Old 13 August 2017, 09:22 AM

Chicken

Yesterday (Saturday afternoon) while I was watering my front yard the sprinklers at the school across the street came on. Within minutes, a group of at least 115 crows landed on the the school's lawn and started having what looked like a party. They looked like they were having so much fun.

Brian