snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > War, What Is It Good For?

Old 09 August 2017, 11:26 PM

United States The Trump cleanup patrol just had its biggest job yet

I had dreams of fire and fury like the world has never seen. But now I will sleep well, because Rex Tillerson told me I should.There is no “imminent threat” from North Korea, the secretary of state said Wednesday. “The American people should sleep well at night.” It was the latest and largest cleanup effort undertaken by President Trump’s aides since this administration took power. Their unorthodox message to an anxious nation and a panicky world: Don’t take seriously what the president of the United States says.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.c1092d8fd1c2
Old 10 August 2017, 12:10 AM

But I thought that Dump was a tough guy who tells it like it is!
Old 10 August 2017, 12:20 AM

A commentator on NPR this morning likened the dynamic between Trump and Tillerson to them playing "good cop, bad cop" with North Korea. But that would imply that this whole thing is a deliberate strategy, which might be giving them too much credit.
Old 10 August 2017, 01:55 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
But I thought that Dump was a tough guy who tells it like it is!
A tough guy who bravely throws a hissy every time anyone dares insult him. Which we all know is a hallmark of courage, along with making fun of the handicapped and the less fortunate.
Old 10 August 2017, 02:20 AM

Default Ignore Our Crazy President, U.S. Government Tells North Korea

It is humiliating for the world’s greatest superpower to disregard its president as a weird old man who wanders in front of microphones spouting off unpredictably and without consequence. But at this point, respect for Trump’s capabilities is a horse that’s already fled the barn. New chief of staff John Kelly has supposedly instilled military-style order and message discipline into the administration, but Trump is unteachable. Minimizing the havoc means getting everybody to pretend Trump isn’t really president.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...rth-korea.html
Old 10 August 2017, 03:48 AM

And that's probably one of the scariest things about the whole situation.
Old 10 August 2017, 04:52 AM

Trust is earned. If they want people to trust anything they say from the top down, or trust him and them not to do something stupid, they're going to have to start showing they can be trusted.
Old 10 August 2017, 09:37 AM

Well, as Trump might say about the North Korean situation:

Quote:
“Sound dialogue is not possible with such a guy bereft of reason and only absolute force can work on him”
Oh, hang on sorry, that's the North Koreans talking about him. It's hard to tell which to take more seriously...
Old 10 August 2017, 11:16 AM

Richard, do we have to pick, or can we just say it is a tie, a sad, depressing tie that the leader of a small, insular nation that got his job due to hereditary rule is about as serious and sane as the president of the USA.
Old 10 August 2017, 12:20 PM

link broken

Last edited by Sue; 10 August 2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10 August 2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
A tough guy who bravely throws a hissy every time anyone dares insult him. Which we all know is a hallmark of courage, along with making fun of the handicapped and the less fortunate.
Sounds like Kim Jong Un also. This does not bode well to have the two behaving like brats on the school playground.
Old 10 August 2017, 04:43 PM

For the silver lining it provides a good opportunity to test if my response to a saying is correct.

People sometimes say, "there is a method to my madness" as if that makes it better. To me, methodical madness is way worse than random madness as the latter is much less likely to actually do much of anything. Methodical madness could very well result in something horrible.

So now we can find out if I'm right. Kim Jong Un is a good example of methodical madness and Trump is a good example of random madness. We'll sit back and see how thing progress. The survivors can judge whether methodical madness or random madness is better.
Old 10 August 2017, 08:31 PM

Icon05 Just How Removed From Reality Is Donald Trump?

Yesterday Donald Trump tweeted this: "My first order as President was to renovate and modernize our nuclear arsenal. It is now far stronger and more powerful than ever before...."

This is, obviously, wrong. The modernization of our nuclear arsenal has been in progress for years, and it will continue for many more. The only thing Trump has done is to issue an executive order that states: “The Secretary shall initiate a new Nuclear Posture Review to ensure that the United States nuclear deterrent is modern, robust, flexible, resilient, ready, and appropriately tailored to deter 21st-century threats and reassure our allies.” Needless to say, “initiating a review” does nothing to renovate or modernize anything. That requires actual plans and actual money.

That, however, is not the point of this post. The point is this: was Trump lying?

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-dru...-donald-trump/
Old 10 August 2017, 11:56 PM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Sounds like Kim Jong Un also. This does not bode well to have the two behaving like brats on the school playground.
Then we really are doomed. Those kind of personalities going head and head...the most accurate metaphor to describe them isn't oil and water or matches and gasoline. It's gasoline and an already raging, massive inferno. I'll let you decide who is the gasoline and who is the inferno. Me, I'm going to be like until Trump is impeached and hopefully run out on the rail.
Old 11 August 2017, 01:05 AM

Someone made a comment months ago about how truly NFBSKed we are given that we've reached a point in US/North Korea relations where we're left hoping that the hereditary dictator of North Korea will be the mature one.
Old 11 August 2017, 04:25 PM

This is also why I tend to get impatient with the people who are reluctant to see Trump go on the grounds that Pence would be "even worse." There are senses in which they are correct -- Pence would probably be more effective at advancing parts of the far-right agenda that I dislike. But I just don't see him as being as completely deranged as the boy in the Oval Office now.
Old 11 August 2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
This is also why I tend to get impatient with the people who are reluctant to see Trump go on the grounds that Pence would be "even worse." There are senses in which they are correct -- Pence would probably be more effective at advancing parts of the far-right agenda that I dislike. But I just don't see him as being as completely deranged as the boy in the Oval Office now.
I have to agree with you. It seems that outside of the U.S., many people are not aware of Pence's apparent agenda. They just see Trump as somebody who should not be president.

In the current U.S./N.K. "talks" I would much prefer to see Pence heading up the discussions. Probably we wouldn't be here at all, as I believe he has other changes in mind which are a lot closer to home.

Last edited by Die Capacitrix; 11 August 2017 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Should try to write English.
Old 11 August 2017, 07:11 PM

Default The Alternative to Nuclear War Is a Revolution

Despite doubling down on his rhetoric of "fire and fury" and deriding his predecessors for failed negotiations, Trump looks like he wants to eventually strike a deal with the nation’s tyrant, Kim Jong Un. Just look at what Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is doing. Trump threatens war and Tillerson promises no regime change. Remember it was only a few months ago that Trump said he would be honored to meet with Kim. The president's recent bellicosity aims for deterrence and leverage.

And it's easy to understand why talks are better than war. The prospect of a military confrontation is too horrific. North Korea effectively holds its neighbor to the south as a hostage because of its conventional military capabilities. This says nothing of allies like Japan, or U.S. forces stationed on the peninsula.

And the critics of war are correct. A pre-emptive strike is not worth the risk. But neither is another deal.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...s-a-revolution
Old 11 August 2017, 10:35 PM

Either one requires some sign that the group making the threat or promise is possibly capable of telling the truth.
Old 12 August 2017, 01:34 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Someone made a comment months ago about how truly NFBSKed we are given that we've reached a point in US/North Korea relations where we're left hoping that the hereditary dictator of North Korea will be the mature one.
I heard it's been speculated that Kim Jong-Un is more the face of the North Korean government, whereas the advisors who surround him, are the ones doing the day to day stuff of running the country. Heard they had worked under Kim Jong-Il, so they have some experience in government. They're still shitty people working for a shitty dictatorship, but chances are, they might have a basic level of competence, which is more than I can say for the cheerleaders Trump surrounds himself with.

If I am wrong in my assessment regarding North Korea, I apologize. If it's any consolation, I already feel really dirty, speaking positively of North Korea, so there's no reason to chew me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
Pence does have actual experience in government and knows there are rules and procedures to follow. Granted he was an absolutely shitty governor of Indiana and is a shitty person overall, but if we must be ruled by malice, can't it be malice with some basic competence to go with it, as opposed to Trump, who is malice with nothing but incompetence to go with it.

Last edited by Mouse; 12 August 2017 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Wording