snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #781  
Old 15 July 2017, 01:31 AM
Mouse's Avatar
Mouse Mouse is offline
 
Join Date: 10 July 2003
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,796
Mouse

Don't worry I'm not going to type another long manifesto about Tony Stark; I'm going to talk about another movie.

After hearing some good buzz about The Power Rangers film from Linkara, I thought I'd give it a chance.

It does diverge from the series and does its own thing, but there probably was no way of adapting the TV show which was, let's face it, a big slab of cheese from beginning to end. It pretty much had to be changed for a movie adaptation.

The trailers did have me fearing that they were going to be all dark and gritty, which would be bad, because Power Rangers being all dark and gritty would be like having a porno with intricate plotting and character development; it just wouldn't work. The early parts of the movie were shot all shadowy, but thankfully, the finale is in the bright, cartoony glorious spectacle Power Rangers is known for.

Elizabeth Banks's Rita is a lot of fun and you can tell she's having fun with the part. Zach and Trini are woefully underdeveloped and I share "Trini may or may not be Bisexual" bit. Much of the video is taken up talking about LeFou, but it does get to Trini and I pretty much agree with them. All the movie gives us, regarding her sexuality, is an off-hand remark; it doesn't really mean anything.

Which is a shame because as said video points out, they did do a good job with Billy being on the Autism Spectrum. It isn't just a one-line mention--it is woven into his character and affects how he sees and reacts to events in the plot--and again, he winds up being the most compelling character. Jason may be the appointed leader, but Billy's the heart that pulls everyone together and keeps them together. And when he finds out about all the stuff they're up against, he's still willing to stand and fight, even though he's not sure if he has a chance.

So I might be willing to give any sequels a shot. Though for the love of God, please tone down the product placement. I'm trying to figure out how you could have been more shameless, but I'm not sure. Though given how delicious their donuts are, I don't find it too unbelievable that Krispy Kreme contains the source of life.
Reply With Quote
  #782  
Old 15 July 2017, 01:52 AM
Dasla's Avatar
Dasla Dasla is offline
 
Join Date: 15 April 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
I saw Baby Driver earlier this week and really, really liked it. In fact, right now it's in my top 5 movies of 2017. I was a little wary due to all the hype it has received but it did not disappoint. Also, it has an amazing soundtrack.

Brian
Yeah I would have thought this was just "Fast and the Furious 12" or whatever nfbsk number they are up to. But the rave reviews from a range of people has made me think about seeing it. Especially the reviews of the sound track.
Reply With Quote
  #783  
Old 21 July 2017, 03:11 PM
Jusenkyo no Pikachu Jusenkyo no Pikachu is offline
 
Join Date: 11 May 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

The trailers did have me fearing that they were going to be all dark and gritty, which would be bad, because Power Rangers being all dark and gritty would be like having a porno with intricate plotting and character development; it just wouldn't work.
You know, there has at least been a porn take on Pygmalion, right?

Anyway, I tracked down The Wildcats of St. Trinian's. I found it a rather dull movie, and kept wondering what the hell was up with the headmistress. The story is about the school spearheading a strike and kidnapping a princess or something. But aside from that and some general ill behaviour, there is next to nothing of what endears us to the little hellions.

So then I found my copy of the later St. Trinian's. It's much funnier (being funny at all is an improvement) and has an amusing amount of connections to Pride And Prejudice (Colin Firth is best Darcy, Anna Chancellor was Caroline that same year, Talulah Riley was Mary in the 2005 movie and Gemma Arterton was Elizabeth in Lost In Austen).
Reply With Quote
  #784  
Old 24 July 2017, 12:38 PM
Richard W's Avatar
Richard W Richard W is offline
 
Join Date: 19 February 2000
Location: High Wycombe, UK
Posts: 25,194
Default

I saw Baby Driver last night and was a bit disappointed, given what I'd heard of it. The first five or ten minutes were amazing, but after that I found it rather soulless. I know Edgar Wright's films are always stylised but they usually have more humanity in them than I thought this did. The soundtrack was definitely good but they made a bit much of it (showing the song titles on the iPod and making a point of the characters actually listening to the songs), and because it was supposed to be the actual ambient music, sometimes I found it unclear.

The reviews I'd read had also given me the wrong impression of the plot, so I kept waiting for it to turn into the film I'd thought it would be (and which I think would have been better) as well. The review implied that it was a Bonnie and Clyde-style road movie following Baby and Debora after they'd run away from a job and taken the road trip they kept discussing. Perhaps with them being pursued by the law and the remains of the gang. (This is not what happened but I've spoilered it anyway). In fact he doesn't run away with Debora until right at the end, she barely does anything for most of the film, and their "road trip" lasts ten seconds. I'd rather have seen the version I thought it was going to be - I liked Baby and Debora and wanted to see more of them, and more of the driving and the road. I didn't much care for the other characters.

I did appreciate the ending - although even with all those good character references, would he really have got parole after only five years given he killed at least two people during the commission of a felony (I don't think they let you off just because the people are also perpetrators)? But I liked that the eventual ending was earned and they could relax and enjoy it without knowing that it was all going to come crashing down at some point.
Reply With Quote
  #785  
Old 29 July 2017, 10:57 AM
Die Capacitrix's Avatar
Die Capacitrix Die Capacitrix is offline
 
Join Date: 03 January 2005
Location: Kanton Luzern, Switzerland
Posts: 3,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
Finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Wonder Woman back-to-back. I was surprised to see the former still in a local theater, and I figured I'd do a two-fer and see the latter before it left theaters, too.

Loved 'em both! What a fun way to spend the afternoon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
I want to see Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2, but I find subtitles annoying, because I'll spend much of the moving listening to the English and reading the German and thinking about the sense of the translation, rather than the movie. It is almost not possible to see an English-language movie without subtitles in the theater, here in Switzerland. And certain not in this corner.
Went to London for the week, and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was still playing. We considered seeing Wonder Woman also, but decided one movie was enough. Really enjoyed the movie and will put it on my Amazon wish-list. I am not enough of a Marvel fan to know all the in-jokes, so I need to see it again (maybe more than one), after checking a few sites, to really appreciate the work the writers and producers put in to this movie. Also nice for two of us to see the movie for less than the price of one ticket here.

Also, Londoners love their movies. We couldn't find the one branch, so we went to another one, and they pointed at the one we were looking at (partially hidden by a construction wall, and it wasn't possible to see the name of the theater). We probably walked by at least a half-dozen theaters and never saw Wonder Woman on the board. Mostly Baby Driver and Planet of the Apes.

After seeing the previews, I want to see Big Sick. And I think Logan Lucky will be amusing, but it's not worth the Swiss movie price. I'm sure it will be on BBC/ITV within the next 2 years.
Reply With Quote
  #786  
Old 30 July 2017, 09:31 PM
ASL's Avatar
ASL ASL is offline
 
Join Date: 04 July 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 5,214
Throw Tomato

Not a movie, but an old Twilight Zone episode, supposedly one of the three greatest: The Monsters Are On Maple Street.

*yawn*

It's so #whitepeopleproblems. I guess audiences back then were just less sophisticated, if they thought any of that was even remotely plausible (discounting the aliens: that obviously warrants suspension of disbelief, the rest does not). Do you suppose MST 3000 will spinoff to do a treatment of 1960s sci-fi television shows? Because if this is the best they've got (haven't watched much Twilight Zone since I was a kid: I used to think it was pretty good), there's a lot of "great" marterial that's ripe for ridicule.
Reply With Quote
  #787  
Old 31 July 2017, 02:39 AM
musicgeek's Avatar
musicgeek musicgeek is offline
 
Join Date: 01 August 2005
Location: Fairfield, CT
Posts: 5,397
Default

Interesting - my two brothers and I are working on a podcast in which we discuss Twilight Zone episodes, organized by theme, and this episode (which was one of my favorites when I was a kid) is to be the centerpiece of our next episode. I wonder whether I'll have the same reaction you did. (So far, I've found that some of the "classic" episodes haven't held up as well for me, where there are some less-known episodes that I've found to be forgotten gems.)
Reply With Quote
  #788  
Old 31 July 2017, 03:48 AM
ASL's Avatar
ASL ASL is offline
 
Join Date: 04 July 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 5,214
Default

As you know, the premise is some wired stuff happens with the power and some people have some car trouble. OMG someone in the neighborhood MUST be in on it! Let's all stand around and argue about it (because I guess the Twilight Xone has even more reliable electrical grids than the real world and no one has ever had a power outage and car trouble at the same time I guess). Hey, there's a figure in the dark walking slowly and unmenacingly towards us! Let's not bother calling out to ask who's there. Oh, shit, Charlie just shot and killed the guy and, surprise surprise, it's just some guy. Who did we think it was going to be? Anyways, now Charlie, a cold blooded murderer who makes George Zimmerman look like Mahatma Gandhi by comparison, is blaming some kid for all of this. By god, he might just be right, let's get that kid, because Charlie's totally the person to be listening to after he totally just murdered someone because... power outage? Oooooooo! Spooky! Lights are coming on in some houses, but not others1!!!!,,,1111elevenTYONE!

Hope I didn't spoil it for anyone.

I suppose the episode would have been thought provoking for those who never considered white suburbanites could be real monsters under the right circumstances. But a power outage?
Reply With Quote
  #789  
Old 31 July 2017, 08:39 AM
ganzfeld's Avatar
ganzfeld ganzfeld is online now
 
Join Date: 05 September 2005
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Posts: 23,022
Default

We had a very rare night without anyone else at home and discovered something very cool: When it's just the two of us, we get to pick the movie! Our first dates had all been about watching movies and videos together but it had been so so long. With no recent practice, we fumbled over the selection and, looking for a comedy, soon discovered the movie we had started was about as far from comedy we could get, that is August: Osage County. But we couldn't stop watching it and ended up liking it. Nice to know we still enjoy real screenplays. We're going to have to do that again one of these days, hopefully within a few months, not years and years. I would recommend the movie to people who like family dramas, 'ordinary' human stories - or just solid dramatic performance of some very good actors.
Reply With Quote
  #790  
Old 31 July 2017, 12:36 PM
musicgeek's Avatar
musicgeek musicgeek is offline
 
Join Date: 01 August 2005
Location: Fairfield, CT
Posts: 5,397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
I suppose the episode would have been thought provoking for those who never considered white suburbanites could be real monsters under the right circumstances. But a power outage?
I think you need to consider the cultural context - remember, this was just four years after the McCarthy HUAC debacle, and Cold War paranoia was a very real presence.
Reply With Quote
  #791  
Old 31 July 2017, 12:51 PM
ASL's Avatar
ASL ASL is offline
 
Join Date: 04 July 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 5,214
Icon18

I get it. I really do. the Cold War-era paranoia and everything, but... It's like they wanted to be shocking, but their audience had an astonishingly low threshold for what constituted "shocking."

A power outage. In the same world where we had just gotten over industrialized mass extermination projects, incinerating cities, local sheriffs were prepared to pull over civil rights workers while a kill team assembled, and little Davie (or whomever) could still be drafted and sent into a combat zone (unless mom and dad could pay for college). And a power outage was what was going to send us all over the edge? Sorry, no, not going to suspend disbelief on that one.

My point is they had far bigger things to worry about if they were actually paying attention to the world they lived in. Which is where my "I guess audiences back then were just less sophisticated" comment comes in. Perhaps the target audience (white suburbia, of course) was really that sheltered. Makes you wonder how they'd handle something like It Comes at Night. I guess they'd have to get past the interracial marriage part first. That alone might have horrified them into walking out of the theater or turning off the set.

ETA: The 1960s really were a scary time. I'd say even more so than today. So how could audiences have possibly believed that the events of this show were plausible enough to be unsettling? There was already so much more going on to potentially turn civilization on its head. How could they not have laughed out loud at the worldly premise of this episode? Surely their threshold for shock would have been higher? Surely they'd have been numb to the horror if they'd been paying attention to the world around them and the world they grew up in? Unless, to my point, they really weren't. Now that is terrifying. It's a wonder we made it out of the early 1960s with those kind of blinders on...

Last edited by ASL; 31 July 2017 at 01:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #792  
Old 01 August 2017, 02:21 AM
musicgeek's Avatar
musicgeek musicgeek is offline
 
Join Date: 01 August 2005
Location: Fairfield, CT
Posts: 5,397
Default

I get your point; I just don't think that the events themselves (the blackout, etc.) were ever meant to be that unsettling to the audience. I would say that the whole point for the viewer was to see just how little it takes, when people are already somewhat agitated, to push them toward paranoia and violence. I'd hazard a guess that most of the people involved in those mass extermination projects, racial violence, etc., weren't screaming monsters initially. The overblown stupidity of the responses in the episode is intentional.

(I'm not arguing that you have to like the episode, or that it couldn't possibly have been done more effectively; I'm just pointing out why what bothers you about it doesn't bother me in the same way.)
Reply With Quote
  #793  
Old 01 August 2017, 12:15 PM
Jusenkyo no Pikachu Jusenkyo no Pikachu is offline
 
Join Date: 11 May 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Not a movie, but an old Twilight Zone episode, supposedly one of the three greatest: The Monsters Are On Maple Street
The Monsters Are On Maple Street aired in the 2002 series. The episode you're thinking of is The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street.

The 2002 episode did at least have some sort of EM pulse and they shut up the little brat with the comic book.
Reply With Quote
  #794  
Old 03 August 2017, 01:18 AM
Mouse's Avatar
Mouse Mouse is offline
 
Join Date: 10 July 2003
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,796
Mouse

Have to admit that while I haven't seen The Emoji Movie, I am entertained, watching the unanimous negative reviews being given by critics across the board. Kind of figured it would be a soulless corporate product from beginning to end, but knowing it is THAT soulless and corporate...I figured it would be stupid and bad, but not the kind of stupid and bad that's harmful or will make the parents want to gouge out their eyes and cut off their ears.

Though seriously, nothing in the trailers conveyed a single original idea and from what I heard, the movie doesn't either.

When I saw the female Emoji named Jailbreak, I could more or less map out her entire arc/reason for being just by looking at her. I imagine the conversation went down like this:

Hollywood Exec One: Okay, we need a female character. That way we can market to both boys and girls and not cut out a valuable demographic.

Hollywood Exec Two: But in order to avoid accusations of sexism, we must avoid making her a fainting damsel in distress. I know! We'll make her all punk and edgy, make a few 'Girl Power!' statements, so we can say we're being all feminist. Hopefully all this would distract everyone from the fact that said female character is only given a few scenes where she's allowed to be competent, before being shunted to the side to serve as an accessory for the male character's growth.

But according to this review, not only am I right, but it's even worse than I thought. The hero is supposed to be Meh emoji, but he's got too much emotion for it, so he goes on an adventure to escape being deleted or whatever BS, where he meets up with the rebelle, Jailbreak.

After many hijinks, he professes his love to her, but Jailbreak is like, "I like you, but I'm not interested in you that way and I have stuff I want to do with my life." This causes him to be stuck in Meh mode and disappear. But at the rousing climax, where he's about to be selected, Jailbreak shows up and proclaims her love which unsticks him.

Seriously, no one involve sees how this is a toxic message for both genders. You're basically saying, "Boys, it doesn't matter how much you accomplish in life or how proud you are of what you do, it doesn't mean anything if you don't have a Hot Girl Love Interest Accessory on your arm." And of course, for girls, it's basically saying, "Your personal feelings/goals in life don't matter. If a guy says he loves you, you are obligated to love him back." Pretty awful messages to give to both genders.

Anyway, I probably violated thread etiquette and for that, I apologize, but I felt it had fodder for an interesting discussion.
Reply With Quote
  #795  
Old 03 August 2017, 02:32 AM
ASL's Avatar
ASL ASL is offline
 
Join Date: 04 July 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 5,214
Icon204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Anyway, I probably violated thread etiquette and for that, I apologize, but I felt it had fodder for an interesting discussion.
How do you spoil that which was never fresh?
Reply With Quote
  #796  
Old 03 August 2017, 11:59 PM
Mouse's Avatar
Mouse Mouse is offline
 
Join Date: 10 July 2003
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,796
Mouse

The part of board etiquette I feared I was in violation of, was that I didn't actually see the movie; I've just read a lot of reviews of it. It's one of life's little pleasures, seeing a bad movie get a good and thorough teardown.

I imagine good movies are actually harder to review, because it's hard to say much more than, "It's good." When they work, they work and it's often hard to explain why. It's that old bit by Tolstoy "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." Tolstoy didn't mean that all happy families are identical with the same number of kids and etc. What he meant was, "If they're happy, it all just works, regardless of the circumstances." Whereas the bit with the unhappy families, it's like with just about any form of bad entertainment in that it's often uniquely bad in its own special way. Because really what can be said about Casablanca except that it's a damn good movie that continues to resonate even with today's audiences?

Though in terms of movies I have seen recently, I saw Atomic Blonde. I freely admit that after a while, I gave up trying to keep track of the twists and just sat back and enjoyed the soundtrack and the visuals. It does have some amazing visuals and a soundtrack and I'm totally in favor of Charlize Theron being a badass. I might have to reconfigure my Same-Sex Top Five because damn!
Reply With Quote
  #797  
Old 11 August 2017, 09:03 PM
Darth Credence's Avatar
Darth Credence Darth Credence is offline
 
Join Date: 28 October 2005
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 3,242
Default

Saw the Dark Tower. On a scale of 1-10, I gave it a 4.5, maybe a 5. My wife thinks I was being way too generous.
The movie was a parade of Stephen King Easter Eggs. I'd be surprised if more than 5 minutes goes by without some kind of EE coming up, and it is usually quicker than that. If you know Stephen King's works really well, you can fill in the gaps and understand what is going on. Even King said that - in an interview he said that it worked for him, but he can fill in the gaps, so he doesn't know if it works for most.
Wouldn't watch it again, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone except a Stephen King completionist. It probably doesn't even fall into the 10 worst SK adaptations, but it would be close.
Reply With Quote
  #798  
Old 13 August 2017, 10:05 PM
Jusenkyo no Pikachu Jusenkyo no Pikachu is offline
 
Join Date: 11 May 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,631
Default

This article spurred me to seek out Show Me Love (thanks to a scene in that movie where a woman explains homosexuality to her son). Unfortunately my two DVDs of that movie are currently playing hide-and-seek, so I found an illegal copy. Watching the movie without subtitles is a weird experience.
Reply With Quote
  #799  
Old 13 August 2017, 10:45 PM
crocoduck_hunter's Avatar
crocoduck_hunter crocoduck_hunter is offline
 
Join Date: 27 May 2009
Location: Roseburg, OR
Posts: 11,342
Default

I made the mistake of reading those comments. Now I need to bleach my eyes.
Reply With Quote
  #800  
Old 14 August 2017, 12:16 AM
Mouse's Avatar
Mouse Mouse is offline
 
Join Date: 10 July 2003
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,796
Mouse

Dammit, Crocoduck! Why did you say that?! It's the equivalent of putting up a "Wet Paint: Do Not Touch" sign! The sign only makes you want to touch it all the more.

Though any LGBT people reading this, since the Christian Right says you're out to recruit young people to your insidious yet fa-abulous agenda and we have no reason to doubt anything they say isn't true, use this article as part of your recruitment materials. Be like, "Become one of us just to spite them!" Then you'll do the obligatory "Gobble, Gobble, One of Us!" and you'll have another rainbow-clad commando on your side.

Though I'm not sure how well it would work, given that no one else is as motivated by spite as I am. I may have to become a fan of that Doc McStuffins and since I am wa-ay outside the target demographic and do not have kids, it will just look weird, dammit!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things you recently figured out TallGeekyGirl SLC 346 15 August 2017 06:41 AM
Movies you've seen recently Errata Amusement Bark 593 06 February 2015 03:33 PM
Crazy things you have learned recently catty5nutz SLC 51 14 October 2014 10:26 PM
Did Iraq (or Yemen) recently get its first escalator? flightsuit Fauxtography 2 17 December 2011 07:06 AM
'Mistake' comes from the movies? Tenko Language 8 28 July 2008 12:00 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.