snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 08 August 2017, 02:23 PM

Frying Pan

Quote:
1. By 2024, India is set to take over a distinction that's belonged to a neighboring nation for all of recorded history. What is that distinction?

2. What ice cream company makes desserts in the shape of characters like Cookie Puss and Fudgie the Whale?

3. What term, borrowed from architecture, names a dangerous mass of hardened snow that can overhang the edge of a crest or cliff?

4. "Despacito" is the first Spanish-language song to top the pop singles chart since what 1996 hit?

5. What city will be home to the Golden Knights, joining the NHL as its 31st team next season?

6. From 1415 to 1806, Charles VII of Bavaria was the only Holy Roman Emperor who was not also a member of what European royal house?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these cities? Auckland, Honolulu, Manila, Mexico City, Nairobi, Naples, Portland, Quito, Seattle, Tokyo.
1. Highest overall population
2. Carvel
3. Eaves?
4. Macerena
5. Las Vegas. Shoulda gone with Flamingoes IMO.
6. Hapsburg?
7. James Bond hasn't been to them yet. (I'm just spitballing....) And which Portland is it? Oregon or Maine?
Old 08 August 2017, 02:30 PM

If he's following the AP stylebook, it's the one in Oregon.
Old 08 August 2017, 02:58 PM

1. Most populous.
2. Carvel
3. Cornice
4. Macarena
5. No Idea. West Point?
6. Hapsburg
7. I don't know, but half are on islands, and almost all are coastal/port cities. ETA: Something about nearby volcanos?

Last edited by erwins; 08 August 2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08 August 2017, 03:21 PM

I'm sure 7 is something to do with a volcano nearby -- maybe an active volcano nearby.
Old 08 August 2017, 05:43 PM

I might know a few:

1. Most populous, overtaking China

2. Carvel

3. Cantilever?
4. Macarena It seems like they had this question recently.

5. No idea, but I will guess something in Northern California, because in basketball they have the Golden State Warriors and the Sacramento Kings. Probably way off.

6. No idea. The Holy Roman Empire was not holy or Roman or an empire. Discuss.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these cities? Auckland, Honolulu, Manila, Mexico City, Nairobi, Naples, Portland, Quito, Seattle, Tokyo. No guess.
Old 08 August 2017, 07:04 PM

Baseball One for sure, 3 others maybe

1. Largest population

2. Dairy Queen?

3. A gable?

4. Only Spanish songs from that era I know are La Vida Loca and La Macarena. Going with Macarena.

5. Unbelievable. Las Vegas. Another sunbelt team destined to draw money from the rest of the league thanks to Gary Bettman's incompetence. [make sure I blank this out in white]

6. Hapsburgs, I believe.

7. Guessing that they are all considerably built on reclaimed land from a water body.
Old 09 August 2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyHere4KJT View Post
And which Portland is it? Oregon or Maine?
For that matter, there are multiple places called Naples. I doubt they mean the one closest to me, as that's a village, not a city. The one in Florida's a city, though.
Old 09 August 2017, 01:13 PM

Again, if he's following the AP Stylebook, he means Naples in Italy.
Old 09 August 2017, 03:43 PM

1. Population.

2. Don't know.

3. Don't know.

4. Macarena.

5. Las Vegas.

6. All I can think is Hapsburg, but that's purely a guess.

7. Nothing comes to mind.
Old 09 August 2017, 06:37 PM

1. By 2024, India is set to take over a distinction that's belonged to a neighboring nation for all of recorded history. What is that distinction?

Most populous country in the World
Old 15 August 2017, 12:22 PM

Once again it's Tuesday and time for ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

China has been the world's most populous nation for an uninterrupted streak going back millennia. (Interestingly, "uninterrupted" depends on who gets assigned the 300 million Chinese who lived under to Japanese occupation in the late 1930s. If they all count as Japanese subjects, Britain was briefly the most populous empire on earth.) But the latest United Nations estimates say that India's population will surpass China's in the next decade.

2. What ice cream company makes desserts in the shape of characters like Cookie Puss and Fudgie the Whale?
Carvel. If you grew up in a non-Carvel part of the country, I hope you've been able to retroactively enjoy their weird ad vibe via the Internet.

3. What term, borrowed from architecture, names a dangerous mass of hardened snow that can overhang the edge of a crest or cliff?
Buildings and mountains both have cornices.

4. "Despacito" is the first Spanish-language song to top the pop singles chart since what 1996 hit?
(Newscaster voice Dále a tu cuerpo alegría, Macarena, que tu cuerpo es pa' darle alegría y cosa buena. Dále a tu cuerpo alegría, Macarena. (Long, thoughtful pause.) Hey, Macarena.

5. What city will be home to the Golden Knights, joining the NHL as its 31st team next season?
Las Vegas is about to get its first "big four" professional sports franchise, a few years before its NFL franchise arrives.

6. From 1415 to 1806, Charles VII of Bavaria was the only Holy Roman Emperor who was not also a member of what European royal house?
The Habsburgs (including their Habsburg-Lorraine successors) controlled the Holy Roman Empire for four hundred years.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these cities? Auckland, Honolulu, Manila, Mexico City, Nairobi, Naples, Portland, Quito, Seattle, Tokyo.
Each has a volcano visible in or above its skyline. They're the world cities most likely to just wake up and not exist one day, is what I'm saying.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What late celebrity has appeared on the cover of People magazine 58 times, more than anyone else in history by a wide margin?

2. Andrea Amati and his sons and grandsons are best known for their skill at making what?

3. What happened on September 1, 1939, the date usually given as the beginning of World War II?

4. Which two words from the NATO phonetic radio alphabet are also the names of NBC-owned cable channels?

5. How many pairs of transparencies (and, therefore, different 3-D images) are there on a View-Master reel?

6. Niels Bohr and Werner Heisenberg's groundbreaking interpretation of quantum mechanics is usually referred to by the name of what European city?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these figures from Greek mythology? Arcas, Athena, Atlas, Europa, Heracles, Icarus, Io, Peleus, Pelops, Phoenix.

Enjoy!

Last edited by DadOf3; 15 August 2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 15 August 2017, 12:43 PM

3. German troops invading Poland, more specifically, German Marine firing at the Polish coast and Wehrmacht troops crossing the land border.

6. Stockholm?

7. Could it be something about having celestial bodies named after them? Or craters on the moon or something like that?
Old 15 August 2017, 02:01 PM

3. Germany invades Poland
4. Bravo and Zulu (second one is a guess)
5. 12 (guess)
Old 15 August 2017, 02:16 PM

Baseball 1 for 7 this week, I believe

1. It is August. I suspect that it will be Princess Diana.

2. Ferraris

3. Soviet Union and Nazi Germany invaded Poland.

4. I don't know who owns them. But I can think of Bravo off the top of my head. The other one??? Golf? I see a lot of golf on that channel! That's my guess. Don't watch too much TV.

5. 12?

6. No clue. Paris?

7. All had online universities named after them. How was that?
Old 15 August 2017, 03:34 PM

#2 is violins.

#3, I think, is the invasion of Poland.
Old 15 August 2017, 04:30 PM

6) is the Copenhagen interpretation
Old 15 August 2017, 06:56 PM

2. Andrea Amati and his sons and grandsons are best known for their skill at making what?

String instruments, notably fiddles

3. What happened on September 1, 1939, the date usually given as the beginning of World War II?

Germany attacked the Westerplatte in Danzig

5. How many pairs of transparencies (and, therefore, different 3-D images) are there on a View-Master reel?

I only have one eye and have never been able to understand the fuzz about View-Masters, so I can't be bothered about the number of 3D images there are on a reel.

6. Niels Bohr and Werner Heisenberg's groundbreaking interpretation of quantum mechanics is usually referred to by the name of what European city?

Copenhagen
Old 15 August 2017, 07:59 PM

Kenya

Quote:
1. What late celebrity has appeared on the cover of People magazine 58 times, more than anyone else in history by a wide margin?

4. Which two words from the NATO phonetic radio alphabet are also the names of NBC-owned cable channels?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these figures from Greek mythology? Arcas, Athena, Atlas, Europa, Heracles, Icarus, Io, Peleus, Pelops, Phoenix.
1. Princess Diana?
2. Violins?
3. Germany invaded Poland (and I believe the Soviet Union invaded a few days afterward)
4. (does a quick recitation) Bravo and Golf
5. 12? It's been a while...
6. Nope.
7. There are Greek-age locations named after them but that's gotta be more common than just this list....
Old 16 August 2017, 12:45 PM

1. Princess Diana.

2. Don't know.

3. Germany invaded Poland.

4. Bravo and Golf.

5. 14 indivdual, so 7 pairs.

6. Copenhagen.

7. All have had spacecraft named after them.