snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 05 February 2013, 11:23 PM

Default Land owner seeks revenge on neighbours by selling it to travellers

Bryn Chittenden, 46, became exasperated with local residents whose interventions ensured that a series of proposals to build a barn on his field were blocked.

The former print manager said he was willing to sell the land for significantly less than it was worth just to get his own back on the wealthy neighbours.

"If you think I'm a problem, wait till a hundred travellers turn up in their caravans, he declared.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ravellers.html
Old 05 February 2013, 11:39 PM

Sounds rather like he didn't properly research the area before buying the property. Especially given his rather overblown talk about how his neighbors have made his life so hellish.

Also, what does "traveller" mean in the context of the article? The way the article talks makes it sound like a synonym for vagrant or hippie, rather than referring to vacation camping or some.
Old 05 February 2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Also, what does "traveller" mean in the context of the article? The way the article talks makes it sound like a synonym for vagrant or hippie, rather than referring to vacation camping or some.
Irish Travellers.
Old 05 February 2013, 11:59 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanichal
Old 06 February 2013, 12:59 AM

Ah. Thanks for that.
Old 06 February 2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Sounds rather like he didn't properly research the area before buying the property. Especially given his rather overblown talk about how his neighbors have made his life so hellish.
Well it's agricultural land, and there appears to be no zoning laws against barns. Apparently the neighbors are being d*cks by blocking his building (I'm not too sure of the approval process).

This quite akin to buying a piece of land in a residential area, and being prevented by neighbors to build a house on that piece of land because it'll "clutter the neighbors' view".

OY
Old 06 February 2013, 05:06 PM

So the Irish Travellers and the Romanichal are two distinctly different groups, right? And it was the Irish Travellers involved in the Dale Farm incident mentioned in OP?
Old 06 February 2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloLlama View Post
So the Irish Travellers and the Romanichal are two distinctly different groups, right? And it was the Irish Travellers involved in the Dale Farm incident mentioned in OP?
Yes and yes.
Old 06 February 2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post
Well it's agricultural land, and there appears to be no zoning laws against barns. Apparently the neighbors are being d*cks by blocking his building (I'm not too sure of the approval process).

This quite akin to buying a piece of land in a residential area, and being prevented by neighbors to build a house on that piece of land because it'll "clutter the neighbors' view".

OY
Where do you see this? I don't see the zoning laws in the article.
Agricultural land seems to have a pretty specific set of guidelines:
http://www.alc.gov.bc.ca/legislation...d-Proc_Reg.htm

I don't see anything about blocking a view. They oppose keeping horses on the land. If it's zoned for farming and not livestock, there may be very good reasons for this including pollution from manure ending up in creeks. Maybe he's planning on keeping a whole lotta horses there. The article says he's part of a hunting group.
Old 06 February 2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloLlama View Post
So the Irish Travellers and the Romanichal are two distinctly different groups, right?
They are two distinct groups, ethnically and culturally, but people don't always make the distinction and sometimes inaccurately lump together the Romanichals and Irish Travellers both as Travellers.
Old 06 February 2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Where do you see this? I don't see the zoning laws in the article.
Neither do I, it was just a quick search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I don't see anything about blocking a view. They oppose keeping horses on the land. If it's zoned for farming and not livestock, there may be very good reasons for this including pollution from manure ending up in creeks. Maybe he's planning on keeping a whole lotta horses there. The article says he's part of a hunting group.
"Akin" = similar to, reminds me of. Not what the original article said. It was an example, in the sense that the intended use is in line with what "agricultural" land is.

OY
Old 06 February 2013, 07:54 PM

This reminds me of George Lucas getting blocked by his rich community neighbors who didn't want him building anything else commercial near their homes.

So he decided to turn it into low income housing, the idea being that the rich guys would hate that even worse.

I don't recall what became of that idea.
Old 11 February 2013, 12:15 PM

Icon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post

OY

That's been an issue in some of the tonier parts of this county: people will have an existing house torn down and a mini-mansion built in its place. The chief complaint is that the mini-mansion sticks out like a sore thumb.
Old 11 February 2013, 01:16 PM

The complaint in my neighborhood is that they build houses that go all the way to the lot line with space to park two cars, then advertise them in the student paper. Where you did have a single family, you now have ten car owning adults. I've had four if these go up within 200 yards of me this summer. The streets are choked with cars, many of them illegally parked. Not to mention the illegal trash dumping. It's not purely a matter of aesthetics.
Old 11 February 2013, 02:03 PM

I've typed this out three times since I posted the original article, but I'm so embarassed to admit I know someone like this that I keep deleting it.

I know a woman who owns several rental properties. At one house, her tenants were having trouble getting along with the neighbors, because the neighbors would pile their yard trash on the renter's side of the property line. (Apparently, previous owners had allowed it.) So they got into a bickering match, and the neighbors had the advantage of having friends in the Code Enforcement department. The woman I know started getting notices of code violations almost every week. Every time the grass was an inch too high, there was a notice from Code Enforcement. She finally got fed up and wrote a letter to the neighbors saying that if their harassment caused her to lose her current tenants, she would find a "family of Mexicans or Vietnamese" to replace them.
Old 11 February 2013, 02:09 PM

I'm reminded of Auntie Mame, buying the "unrestricted" land next to the Upsons' "restricted" land and donating it to a Jewish post-war refugee oranization, after the Upsons complained because a Jewish family wanted to build there. That was my favorite part of the book.