snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 18 January 2013, 02:42 AM

Icon103 Subway ‘Crisis’: Is Footlong Sub Really 11 Inches?

What’s in an inch? Apparently, enough missing meat, cheese and tomatoes to cause an uproar. Subway, the world’s largest fast food chain with 37,000 locations, is facing widespread criticism after a man who appears to be from Australia posted a photo on the company’s Facebook page of one of its footlong sandwiches next to a tape measure that shows the sub is just 11 inches.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/...lly-11-inches/
Old 18 January 2013, 02:55 AM

Depending on the bread, a foot long sandwich could fairly easily be compressed an inch.
Old 18 January 2013, 02:58 AM

And the dough that often rises and bakes to a foot long loaf can easily only reach 11 inches, depending on various factors. But you would still be getting the same amount of food - they do all the meats, cheeses, tomatoes by count, not length
Old 18 January 2013, 03:39 AM

If you over-poof the bread, it ends up wider and a bit shorter.

One of many reasons I only lasted, in my youth, for four days as a Subway Sandwich Artist was the manager's lectures on over-poofing.
Old 18 January 2013, 04:25 AM

Icon204

Feet do come in all sizes.
Old 18 January 2013, 05:09 AM

Teacher

12" is the nominal size; 11" is the actual size. Like a 2x4 is really 1 1/2" x 3 1/2".
Old 18 January 2013, 06:16 AM

I'm not usually one to complain "WHY is this News???" but if there ever were a non-story, this has to be one.
Old 18 January 2013, 11:19 AM

Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
If you over-poof the bread.
Nitpick, its "proofing"
Old 18 January 2013, 11:44 AM

when people are paying $5 for a product that can EASILY be made at home with the same quality for less than $1 i have no sympathy
Old 18 January 2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkMcD View Post
Nitpick, its "proofing"
You mean 'proving', right?
Old 18 January 2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Done_Living View Post
when people are paying $5 for a product that can EASILY be made at home with the same quality for less than $1 i have no sympathy
I never understood that argument. Unless you're getting nothing but meat and cheese on your sandwich, each ingredient you add complicates the whole "just make it at home" claim. I'm sure I could buy tomatoes, lettuce, onions, spinach, and black olives at the store, along with a few different types of cold cuts and cheeses - not to mention a handful of different bottles of dressing - and get the price under 1$/sandwich. However, this only holds true if nothing goes bad before I use it all (highly unlikely with the short lifespan of fresh, cut veggies), that I have room in my fridge for everything (how many people have a dozen different Tupperware containers?) and that I have the time and talent to neatly chop up all those vegetables in the first place. If I shell out five bucks for Subway, it's because I want the convenience of fast food (which in itself comes at a price) with a variety of ingredients I couldn't really maintain at home, which more than justifies the higher price tag for me. YMMV, of course.
Old 18 January 2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilBunny View Post
You mean 'proving', right?
No.

Though I love "poofing."

Gibbie
Old 18 January 2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
However, this only holds true if nothing goes bad before I use it all (highly unlikely with the short lifespan of fresh, cut veggies),
It all depends on the size of your household. Single, it's hard not to waste fresh veggies. With a family of 4, it's more feasible.

OY
Old 18 January 2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
If I shell out five bucks for Subway, it's because I want the convenience of fast food (which in itself comes at a price) with a variety of ingredients I couldn't really maintain at home, which more than justifies the higher price tag for me.
It's worth $5 for me, too.
Old 18 January 2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I never understood that argument. Unless you're getting nothing but meat and cheese on your sandwich, each ingredient you add complicates the whole "just make it at home" claim. I'm sure I could buy tomatoes, lettuce, onions, spinach, and black olives at the store, along with a few different types of cold cuts and cheeses - not to mention a handful of different bottles of dressing - and get the price under 1$/sandwich. However, this only holds true if nothing goes bad before I use it all (highly unlikely with the short lifespan of fresh, cut veggies), that I have room in my fridge for everything (how many people have a dozen different Tupperware containers?) and that I have the time and talent to neatly chop up all those vegetables in the first place. If I shell out five bucks for Subway, it's because I want the convenience of fast food (which in itself comes at a price) with a variety of ingredients I couldn't really maintain at home, which more than justifies the higher price tag for me. YMMV, of course.
And the argument loses a lot of steam when to buy a single "bun" would cost you 49 cents or more, using up at least half of your 1$ allotment in the first place.
The only way to get a bun cheaper is to buy in bulk (pack of 6 or 12) which means you have to buy all the other ingredients in matching amounts.
Old 18 January 2013, 02:00 PM

It also really doesn't matter if you have all the ingredients at home if you're not actually at home with your sandwich stuff or don't have a way to carry it with you during the day.

Gibbie
Old 18 January 2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Really? Judging by what I see at the grocery store, and sticking to the cheapest ingredients available (store brand or sale items), a roll that size would run about $1, the meat would run from $1-2, the cheese would be about 30-50 cents. Then there are all the veggies - a tomato runs about 60-75 cents, and it would take about a third of it to equal Subway, with a very roughly similar situation for most of the other vegs. As a rough estimate, without even taking into account the wastage problems others have mentioned, I figure the ingredients for a typical Subway sandwich could not be less than $3. Then there is the labor, clean-up and the spoilage concerns if not all of the tomato, lettuce, etc. gets used within a couple of days. A lot of takeout ends up being pretty comparable to what a person could do it for at home, with of course, the drawback of having to accept the ingredients available at the takeout. But then, if you are going to be more picky about those, you are also going to have to go for a higher grocery price to make it at home as well.
Old 18 January 2013, 03:12 PM

This is the sort of example that I use when I explain that being libertarian doesn't mean that there shouldn't be any government involvement. We have a Bureau of Weights and Measures so that the customer and the provider alike know how much they're agreeing upon.
Old 18 January 2013, 04:12 PM

Somebody should tell these people that 2x4s aren't really 2x4 either (and that extends to most cuts of wood).

Quote:
Unless you are buying things in incredible bulk I don't see reaching $1/sandwich..

I could see beating $5, but that would require buying extra to make multiple sandwiches (much of which is highly perishable) so the price/sandwich may be lower but you have a higher initial investment.

Beyond all that is the convenience fee.. Gotta make it up yourself, make up the sauces, put it together, that uses time. Plus you have to carry it around with you until you are ready to eat it.

I don't mean to suggest that it's impossible to do this.. But honestly I think you'd be hard pressed to make a foot long (or 11 inches) sandwich for less than $5 unless you make them in bulk.

What you can do is make a better sandwich for about the same cost, get nicer bread, nicer cheese, nicer meat, without paying significantly more so you are getting more for your money.. But cheaper? I just don't see it.
Old 18 January 2013, 04:20 PM

I agree that you can't expect to replicate a Subway sub for a $1. but on the other hand I do think that if you're trying to save money on lunches than brownbagging it is almost always a cheaper alternative. I used to feel that the deli meat prices were way too high until I finally put two and two together and figured out how much I was spending on buying lunches every week. It's a larger outlay at grocery time that pays off later. Well, assuming we remember to use the deli meat. There are few things grosser in your fridge than slimey too old to eat it deli meat .