snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 06 February 2013, 02:03 PM

Canada Postal Service to say goodbye to mail delivery on Saturdays

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/post...days-1B8262819

Quote:
It's been debated for months and months, but on Wednesday the United States Postal Service finally will announce it's not going to deliver first-class mail on Saturdays anymore.

The postal service's announcement, planned for about 10 a.m. EST, is expected to say that packages, mail-order medicine, and express mail will continue to be delivered on Saturday, but not letters, bills, cards, and catalogs. Post offices which are now open on Saturdays will continue to be open on Saturdays.
So it's kinda being cut, not entirely. I'm personally fine with not getting mail on Saturdays, saying as no one likes me enough to write me unless I owe them money.
Old 06 February 2013, 05:10 PM

I'm not completely against it or anything, but I kind of wish they'd pick a different day. That way we only go one day at a time without getting mail instead of two. And so many holidays fall on a Monday that we're going to have a lot of times when we don't get mail for three days.
Old 06 February 2013, 05:38 PM

Yeah I get skipping a day, but Saturday? Wouldn't Wednesday or even Tuesday and Thursday make more sense?

I hope Post Offices are still going to be open on Saturday.

I mean with the Post Office hemorrhaging money and no real long term business plan in sight this is all a band-aid and is just gonna kick the can at most 10 or 20 years down the road, if that long.
Old 06 February 2013, 05:40 PM

Saturday makes more sense to me. And another article I read indicated that post office would be open on Saturdays, although hours would be cut at some locations.
Old 06 February 2013, 05:44 PM

Saturday makes sense to me too. The Post Office gets busy on Saturdays. It make sense for them to reduce the number of deliveries done on Saturday and put the mailmen/women to work at the office.
Old 06 February 2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloLlama View Post
I'm not completely against it or anything, but I kind of wish they'd pick a different day. That way we only go one day at a time without getting mail instead of two. And so many holidays fall on a Monday that we're going to have a lot of times when we don't get mail for three days.
If I may ask, what kind of mail do you get that more than one day without delivery is such a concern?

Mail delivery in Canada has always been Monday-Friday (during my lifetime, at least). Three days weekends happen on average once a month, and there can be up to 5 days of no delivery around Christmas. It's not a big deal, but it's also what we're used to. The highest priority thing I ever get in the mail is a cheque, but the days that we don't get delivery are the days that the bank is closed or on reduced hours anyhow.
Old 06 February 2013, 07:14 PM

What Jenn said - except that I think in Canada you can only have 4 days of non-delivery at Christmas (two weekends plus two stat holidays for Christmas Day and Boxing Day). It can cause an unfortunate problem when a delivery *guaranteed* to arrive by the 23rd (when the 23rd is a Friday) doesn't arrive that day, and the item you wanted to arrive before Christmas, doesn't show up until two days after. A bit disappointing if you're sending gifts, but there is something to be said, too, about planning ahead and not sending something at the absolute last minute.

That said, cutting one aspect of postal delivery on Saturdays is a small part of what the USPS does. I'm sure that a lot of mail gets sorted and transported on weekends already, and even now priority mail and package delivery will continue on weekends, presumably to keep up with the courier companies. Small difference, really.
Old 06 February 2013, 08:48 PM

Default Five Days of Mail a Week Is Still Too Much

Gizmodo: http://gizmodo.com/5982093/five-days...still-too-much

Quote:
It's important to remember two things about physical mail. First: that it still exists at all is a testament more to power of bulk advertising—84.7 billion pieces delivered by the USPS in 2011, totaling $17.8 billion in revenue—than our desire to send Christmas cards. And second, that it derives the majority of its value from sentiment. Handwritten letters are a delight, sure. But they're rarely urgent. If they were, they'd be a phone call.
Old 06 February 2013, 08:53 PM

Seriously. I need home delivered mail to pay one bill (my garbage pickup company hasn't moved to the present yet) and packages... I guess the occational card... I have urgent things that need to go out sometimes (said bill, business stuff, etc) but that can easily work around an extra day (or more really) off.
Old 06 February 2013, 09:00 PM

I am actually trying to remember the last time I actually got mail in any real sense of the term.

I get my paycheck via direct deposite. All my bills are recieved and paid online. All of my family members have e-mail accounts and Facebook pages. I read all my magazines with the exception of one on my Kindle. Catalogs are pointless if the company you're buying from has a half decent website. I got rid of the DVD Delivery part of Netflix and now only do streaming.

I still get a lot of crap in my mailbox, but not really much I want or need. I get paper copies of some of my bills, a few cigar catalogs (all from sites that have perfectly servicable websites), and a whole crap ton of junk mail and credit card offers I don't want.

Honestly I could survive on once a week routine delivery as long as packages came more readily and a process was in place for expressing important documents, forms, and such at a reasonable price.