snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 05 September 2018, 06:06 PM

I used to get that when I worked at a restaurant with no bathroom. I get that not having a bathroom is highly unusual, and I didn't mind explaining over and over that we had looked into it and the very old pier on which we were located couldn't support the extra weight, and that there were public restrooms at the base of the pier. But I did mind when people just kept asking the question, or screamed at me, as though if they bothered this waitress enough maybe it would inspire her to build them one while they waited.
Old 06 September 2018, 02:08 PM

Glasses

Maybe they thought you had a hidden bathroom for the staff that you could be intimidated into letting them use.

Yield means give way to the car in the other lane that is half a car length in front of you, not "accelerate like hell and try to intimidate the other car into braking."

Seaboe
Old 07 September 2018, 01:12 AM

"But Clinton" is never a valid retort. But it's especially stupid in a conversation about Richard Nixon.
Old 09 September 2018, 01:35 AM

Mouse

I honestly wonder if Conservatives will be using the "But Clinton..." defense until the sun turns into a red giant and consumes the Earth. Trouble is the media keeps going along with it, acting like Whataboutism actually makes sense and isn't just a dodge.

Whatever your opinion on Bill Clinton, the man has been out of power for sixteen years. Oh yeah, that's why they focus on Hillary Clinton instead. There is probably no person they hate more than Hillary Clinton. Even if someone were to create some kind of dictator Voltron called Adolf Q. Stalin-Pot, they will still hate Hillary more. She could come up with the cure for cancer and make it available free of charge, and they would hate her for taking work away from hardworking oncologists. They hate her, end of story.

Though we hear all this "But Clinton" and "But Obama," but y'know there was a guy sandwiched in between the two of them who served from 2000-2008, yet the wider culture seems to have developed a collective amnesia about him, even though he was president during during those terrorist attacks that led us to several military quagmires, us fighting several undeclared wars all over the Middle East, and the Right crapping their pants in glee because the attacks wound up giving them carte blanche to implement whatever policies they wanted.

It's a strange sort of memory loss.
Old 12 September 2018, 03:17 PM

If you do not know the answer to a question about a product on Amazon, do not post a reply consisting only of variations on "I don't know." Get a blog if you are that in love with seeing your words on the internet.
Old 12 September 2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
If you do not know the answer to a question about a product on Amazon, do not post a reply consisting only of variations on "I don't know." Get a blog if you are that in love with seeing your words on the internet.

Amazon, as you probably know, sometimes sends out emails to people who have previously purchased a product asking "Can you answer this question?" So I suspect the people answering "I don't know" are probably older folks who have received one of these emails from Amazon and believe it would be rude to not respond at all, possibly out of a mistaken belief that someone personally sent them that email rather than simply being an automated email that Amazon likely sent to a large number of people.
Old 12 September 2018, 04:48 PM

Tsk, Tsk

If you rent out a storefront that faces south to open a shop specializing in collectible toys, sports memorabilia, and comic books: Either put ultraviolet protective film on your front window or don't put your rare collectibles in the window where they will quickly fade in the sunlight.
Old 12 September 2018, 05:03 PM

If Person A says they are going to leave some land to you in their will, but then sell it to Person B, you can't win a lawsuit against Person B, or against Person C who bought the land decades ago from Person B. Person A lied to you. Don't try to make things hard for your nice new neighbor Person C.
Old 13 September 2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
If Person A says they are going to leave some land to you in their will, but then sell it to Person B, you can't win a lawsuit against Person B, or against Person C who bought the land decades ago from Person B. Person A lied to you. Don't try to make things hard for your nice new neighbor Person C.
Or changed their mind because the realised you were a money grabbing ****.
Old 13 September 2018, 02:19 PM

Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
Or changed their mind because the realised you were a money grabbing ****.
Also, possibly there are statutes of limitation...
The time to file a lawsuit was when person A sold the land, not decades later against an unrelated person C

Old 13 September 2018, 04:19 PM

Thor the comic book character is fictional. But he's a god in the comics.

Him not being a god in the real world is irrelevant because A) he's a comic book character and B) there's no universal definition of what a god is in the real world anyway.
Old 13 September 2018, 05:12 PM

Closest definition would be some sort of supernatural or superhuman being who is or was worshiped by people at some point. To paraphrase Arthur C. Clarke, any sufficiently advanced person is indistinguishable from a god.
Old 13 September 2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Thor the comic book character is fictional. But he's a god in the comics.

Him not being a god in the real world is irrelevant because A) he's a comic book character and B) there's no universal definition of what a god is in the real world anyway.
Thor had (and probably still has) worshipers (asatru?) in the world.
Is this person disputing that a being/anthropomorphic personalization/ideal that people have being saying prayers to for years/decades/centuries/millennium can or should be considered a god? (leaving aside the fact that comics Thor is unlike Godly Thor but was still inspired from him)
ETA: Even Godly Thor is a bit "comical", especially if you've read Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology...
Old 13 September 2018, 07:15 PM

Glasses

A promise without consideration (i.e., tit for tat) is not an enforceable contract. What did you give Person A in exchange for the land? What's that? Your affection? It doesn't sound as if that was valuable consideration, considering your attitude now.

Seaboe
Old 13 September 2018, 07:58 PM

Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Thor had (and probably still has) worshipers (asatru?) in the world.
Is this person disputing that a being/anthropomorphic personalization/ideal that people have being saying prayers to for years/decades/centuries/millennium can or should be considered a god? (leaving aside the fact that comics Thor is unlike Godly Thor but was still inspired from him)
ETA: Even Godly Thor is a bit "comical", especially if you've read Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology...
If I may speculate, I think the person crocoduck_hunter is addressing is making the argument:
  1. There is no God but JHVH.
  2. Thor is not JHVH.
  3. Therefore Thor is not a god.
The fallacy is in applying the conclusion (Thor is not a god) to the Marvel universe when the premises are based only on the real world (or this person's impression of it).
Old 13 September 2018, 08:46 PM

I have no idea. They tried to claim that he's an alien who was just worshiped as a god, but that's only true for the MCU and not the comic books. Once they started rambling something about comic book gods not being gods I blocked them because I have better things to do with my life than argue with someone who doesn't appear to understand what fiction is.
Old 14 September 2018, 01:57 AM

Even within the world of Marvel comics different continuities/different writers have taken different approaches to the god/sufficiently advanced alien issue. I agree that it's not worth debating.
Old 14 September 2018, 02:31 AM

A large part of the decision was due to them not appearing to have an actual definition of what was a god beyond "not Thor." I agree that the subject of god/sufficiently powerful alien/anthropromorphic force of the cosmos is pretty muddled in both Marvel and DC, but the Norse and Greek gods have pretty much always been gods in them. They very explicitly weren't aliens.
Old 14 September 2018, 12:18 PM

France

I already told that, but judging from what I saw and did today, it bears repeating :

When sending mail to a foreign address, put the name of the country in the address !!! Otherwise, the postman is going to send it elsewhere, especially if your country uses the same kind of postcodes the other country uses (or you add an unnecessary digit in the postcode). I'm sure that today, I sent quite a few letters to a town in France instead of Belgium because of that.
Old 14 September 2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
A large part of the decision was due to them not appearing to have an actual definition of what was a god beyond "not Thor." I agree that the subject of god/sufficiently powerful alien/anthropromorphic force of the cosmos is pretty muddled in both Marvel and DC, but the Norse and Greek gods have pretty much always been gods in them. They very explicitly weren't aliens.
My take is that the MCU decided to go for the "Aliens not gods" thing in case the movie-going public started screaming "blasphemy!" at them because as Chas mentioned a lot of people believe "There is god but that One Guy that three separate religions worship but under different names"

Then, when the movies worked out, they decided to walk it back and in Ragnarok you get delicious cheese like "Tell me again what were you the god of?"

I mean really, I'm willing to admit I don't know how spacefaring aliens would design their spaceships, but making your spaceships/airplanes shaped like sail-powered boats? Aren't these being supposed to be far advanced of us in science and technology?

It was ridiculous in Star Wars and it's ridiculous in Marvel.
Closed Thread