snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 23 May 2017, 12:23 PM

1. Hannibal fought for what ancient city-state located on the Lake of Tunis?
Carthage

2. The expression "to pull out all the stops" originated with what kind of performer?
Pipe organist

4. Laura Dern, Oprah Winfrey, Demi Moore, and Billy Bob Thornton were among the celeb cameos on "The Puppy Episode," the April 30, 1997 sitcom episode on which what happened?
Is that when Ellen Degeneres came out of the closet?

5. What clothing retailer named for a New Jersey town now uses a sideways heart for the first letter in its logo?
Burlington Coat Factory

6. Silver iodide is the chemical most commonly used to seed what?
Clouds
Old 23 May 2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

2. The expression "to pull out all the stops" originated with what kind of performer?

3. Who quietly snuck out of Owings Mills, Maryland in fifteen Mayflower moving vans on the night of March 29, 1984?

4. Laura Dern, Oprah Winfrey, Demi Moore, and Billy Bob Thornton were among the celeb cameos on "The Puppy Episode," the April 30, 1997 sitcom episode on which what happened?

5. What clothing retailer named for a New Jersey town now uses a sideways heart for the first letter in its logo?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these well-known people? Primo Carnera, Jean Cocteau, Farrah Fawcett, Art Fleming, Henry Morgan, C.S. Lewis, Sergei Prokofiev, Georg Solti, Slim Whitman, Orville Wright.

Enjoy!

1. Carthage
2. Organist
3. Baltimore Colts (now the Indianapolis Colts)

5. Burlington something. I think they dropped the "Coat Factory" part of the name).
6. Clouds
Old 23 May 2017, 01:22 PM

Whalephant

TallGeekyGirl, yep to number 4.
Old 23 May 2017, 02:27 PM

Glasses

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Carthage? That's what popped first to mind, anyway.
Quote:

An organist, I assume
Quote:

3. Who quietly snuck out of Owings Mills, Maryland in fifteen Mayflower moving vans on the night of March 29, 1984?
That financial advice guy my father used to watch on TV. Or else some corporation, like DuPont.
Quote:

Seinfeld's dog had puppies and he had to give them away. This was in the middle of my not-watching-TV episode, so I truly have no clue.
Quote:

Something that starts with a B.
Quote:

Now this I know. Clouds.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these well-known people? Primo Carnera, Jean Cocteau, Farrah Fawcett, Art Fleming, Henry Morgan, C.S. Lewis, Sergei Prokofiev, Georg Solti, Slim Whitman, Orville Wright.
That is an extremely interesting list. I've actually heard of all of them. I'm going to guess it has something to do with cancer, but what, I don't know.

Seaboe
Old 23 May 2017, 02:53 PM

1. Carthage.

2. Organ player.

3. The Baltimore Colts.

4. Ellen DeGeneres came out.

5. Don't know.

6. Rain clouds.

7. Nothing comes to mind.
Old 23 May 2017, 03:35 PM

Icon101

Tatooine?

Organist

The owner of Mayflower Van Lines? (and I think his name is Mayflower van Lines.)

Ellen Morgan, played by Ellen Degeneres, admitted to herself - and revealed to others - that she is gay on the sitcom Ellen.

Burlington Coat Factory

Clouds

The only thing I can think of is that they were all deacons, ministers, or the like.
Old 23 May 2017, 03:38 PM

Icon401

Quote:

1. Carthage
2. Pipe Organ
3. the Indianapolis (nee Baltimore) Colts
4. I don't know.
5. Burlington Coat Factory
6. Clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Did they all...
7. No, but CS Lewis did, and Farrah Fawcett died the same day as Michael Jackson, and Prokofiev and Stalin both died 5 March 1953 (which I know because that's my brother's birth date!), so you may want to white that out. The answer is that they all died on the same date as another, more-famous person died.
Old 23 May 2017, 08:20 PM

Baseball Good week. 3 for 7 and no chance of any of my guesses being correct.

1. I believe that is Carthage

2. One who plays the organ

3. Walter Mondale's original running mate. I have no clue. But 15 trucks does not usually coincide with "quietly"

4. Roseanne won the lottery and jumped the shark

5. Newark's Haberdashery. (I have no clue)

6. Criminal networks. Just kidding. Clouds

7. They were all made more famous by being on a poster
Old 23 May 2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyHere4KJT View Post
... you may want to white that out.
I didn't white it out because I was joking...! I knew about CS Lewis (and Aldous Huxley, who's not on the list). But apparently I was closer than I'd realised to the actual answer. If I'd thought about it, I knew that about Farrah Fawcett too.

Also I tend to think that number 7 answers should be more collaborative than the others, so if I only have an idea rather than actually knowing the answer, I tend not to white it out in case somebody else can add to it.
Old 30 May 2017, 08:16 AM

Tuesday trivia time.

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

Carthage was located in modern-day Tunisia.

An organist. The "stops" are components that block air to certain organ pipes; the instruments will play its loudest with all the stops pulled out, as it were.

The Baltimore Colts...or, as they were known a few hours later, the Indianapolis Colts. Baltimore football fans will never understand the apathy with which the rest of the country regarded and still regards what was, to them, the most important event of the 20th century.

Ellen Morgan--and the actress who played her, Ellen DeGeneres--came out of the closet.

The Burlington Coat Factory is now the <3urlington Coat Factory, to judge by its affectionate logo.

Clouds, for rain. There's no good evidence that the practice works, interestingly.

Each had the misfortune of passing away on the same day as another more famous person, which overshadowed their death in the public eye. They were eclipsed by, respectively, Jayne Mansfield, Edith Piaf, Michael Jackson, Ginger Rogers, Jackie Onassis, John F. Kennedy, Joseph Stalin, Mother Teresa, James Gandolfini, and Mahatma Gandhi. I was surprised to learn, while reading up on this, that many of the famous cases of this phenomenon (Elvis and Groucho, Mother Teresa and Princess Di), the people in question actually died several days apart.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. In 1966, the French Academie des Beaux-Arts took ownership of a Giverny pond and garden once owned by what man?

2. In Cluedo, the original British version of Clue, two of the weapons had different names than they do in the U.S. game. Give the British name of either weapon.

3. Deinonychus, Diplodocus, Dracovenator, and Dilong are all scientific names for types of what?

4. The Overlook Film Festival, held at Oregon's Timberline Lodge, screens movies in what genre?

5. On November 19, 1950 at 12:30 pm, the Chicago Historical Society celebrated a notable anniversary by displaying all five extant copies of what document?

6. What show won the 1997 Tony for Best Musical, the same year a movie of the same title went on to win many awards as well?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these songs? "Big Yellow Taxi," "House of the Rising Sun," "I Heard It Through the Grapevine," "I Saw Her Standing There," "Leaving on a Jet Plane," "Me and Bobby McGee," "Nothing Compares 2 U," "Please Mr. Postman," "This Guy's in Love with You."

Enjoy!
Old 30 May 2017, 12:14 PM

3. Deinonychus, Diplodocus, Dracovenator, and Dilong are all scientific names for types of what?
Dinosaurs.

4. The Overlook Film Festival, held at Oregon's Timberline Lodge, screens movies in what genre?
Horror, as that's where Kubrick's The Shining was filmed.
Old 30 May 2017, 12:20 PM

1. Claude Monet.

2. Don't know.

3. Dinosaurs.

4. Horror, presumably.

5. By the date and time, I'm guessing the Gettysburg Address.

6. Titanic.

7. Each song also has a notable cover version by a singer of the opposite sex as the original, with lyrics alterations to fit.
Old 30 May 2017, 12:34 PM

Cowboy

Quote:
1. In 1966, the French Academie des Beaux-Arts took ownership of a Giverny pond and garden once owned by what man?

2. In Cluedo, the original British version of Clue, two of the weapons had different names than they do in the U.S. game. Give the British name of either weapon.

5. On November 19, 1950 at 12:30 pm, the Chicago Historical Society celebrated a notable anniversary by displaying all five extant copies of what document?

6. What show won the 1997 Tony for Best Musical, the same year a movie of the same title went on to win many awards as well?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these songs? "Big Yellow Taxi," "House of the Rising Sun," "I Heard It Through the Grapevine," "I Saw Her Standing There," "Leaving on a Jet Plane," "Me and Bobby McGee," "Nothing Compares 2 U," "Please Mr. Postman," "This Guy's in Love with You."
1. Monet
2. One would be a "spanner", I'd guess, saying as the American version has a "wrench". No clue on the other.
3. Dinosaurs
4. Horror (it's the hotel from "The Shining")
5. Barack Obama's birth certificate
6. Chicago? ETA: Thinking backwards, 1997 was the year Titanic was released, so maybe Titanic: The Musical?
7. Other than many of them have been covered famously, I don't know.
Old 30 May 2017, 12:39 PM

Claude Monet

Dinosaurs
Old 30 May 2017, 03:10 PM

1. In 1966, the French Academie des Beaux-Arts took ownership of a Giverny pond and garden once owned by what man? Monet?

2. In Cluedo, the original British version of Clue, two of the weapons had different names than they do in the U.S. game. Give the British name of either weapon. Hmm... I'll go with spanner and pistol?

3. Deinonychus, Diplodocus, Dracovenator, and Dilong are all scientific names for types of what? dinosaurs

4. The Overlook Film Festival, held at Oregon's Timberline Lodge, screens movies in what genre? Horror?

6. What show won the 1997 Tony for Best Musical, the same year a movie of the same title went on to win many awards as well? Titanic?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these songs? "Big Yellow Taxi," "House of the Rising Sun," "I Heard It Through the Grapevine," "I Saw Her Standing There," "Leaving on a Jet Plane," "Me and Bobby McGee," "Nothing Compares 2 U," "Please Mr. Postman," "This Guy's in Love with You." They all had gender-flipped covers? (I know this is true for at least five of them.)
Old 30 May 2017, 03:12 PM

Glasses

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Renoir, or the man who painted Water Lilies, if that wasn't Renoir.
Quote:

Well, the wrench is going to be a spanner. Is the other the candlestick?
Quote:

Dinosaurs. Burying diplodocus in the middle doesn't make it less recognizable.
Quote:

Ski movies.
Quote:

I'm stumped, so I'll say the original report of the cause of the Chicago Fire.
Quote:

Chicago. Heck, I don't know.
Quote:

Enjoy!
Well, at least I know all the songs. The last one was originally this Girl's in Love, and was a hit for someone else. I know at least three versions of Me & Bobby McGee, two of which were hits, one for each sex. So I'm going to say: There were hit versions of each song with a man and a woman singing lead.

Seaboe
Old 30 May 2017, 04:11 PM

Baseball Only 1 this week

1. King Louis XVI?

2. Revolver?

3. Dinosaurs

4. Film Noir?

5. Magna Carta?

6. Chicago?

7. I know all but the last song, and have no clue what is common between them. They were all covers that did better than the original?
Old 06 June 2017, 08:38 AM

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

That was the pond where Monet painted his famous water lilies.

In Cluedo, the knife is the "dagger," the wrench is the "spanner," and the botulism is the "steak and kidney pie." (The Simpsons episode 2F15, "Lisa's Wedding.")

They are dinosaurs. Well, were.

Mount Hood's Timberline Lodge stood in for the Overlook Hotel in Stanley Kubrick's The Shining, and the new film festival there celebrates horror movies.

That date was exactly eighty-seven--or "fourscore and seven"--years after November 19, 1863, the day Abraham Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address.

Titanic, despite its success at the Tonys, went on to lose a lot of the money investors "sank" into it.

Each is well-known in a cover version that has been altered to switch the gender of some part of the song's lyrics. For example, when John Denver sang "Leaving On a Jet Plane," he said, "When I come back, I'll bring your wedding ring." When Mary Travers of Peter, Paul, and Mary sang the same verse, she said, "I'll *wear* your wedding ring."

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. In what country did the mojito and the daiquiri originate?

2. What retired major league pitcher uses a dead, upside-down bird as the logo for his new business as a photographer?

3. What is the smallest constellation in the night sky, not discovered by European astronomers until the 16th century?

4. Who is currently third in line to inherit the British throne?

5. In the 1968 trial of the Chicago Seven, the judge and the most celebrated defendant both shared what last name?

6. In Netflix's new TV hit, how many cassette tapes does Hannah Baker leave behind to explain her suicide?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these countries, listed in this order? Chile, Cuba, Norway, The Gambia, Japan, Israel, Vietnam, Malawi, Myanmar, Togo.

Enjoy!
Old 06 June 2017, 08:49 AM

Baseball

1. Mexico?

2. Randy Johnson

3. Are constellations "discovered"? I thought they'd be created or designated. I have no clue on the answer. But I'll say Mensa.

4. Prince George

5. Smith?

6. Never saw the show, but I'll say 5

7. They are all long, skinny countries. They are in the order of longest/skinniest ratios.
Old 06 June 2017, 11:37 AM

Whalephant

I think #1 isCuba.