snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Closed Thread

Old 29 November 2016, 10:02 PM

5. From 1956 to 1966, every TV show to win the Best Comedy Emmy was named for its leading man. Name any two of those five comedian stars.

Having just watched something on TV, I had inspiration... Andy Griffith. I don't have a good guess for the others...
Old 30 November 2016, 01:35 AM

1. If I recall correctly, it's orange, kind of yellowish-orange

2. Oh, let's guess
Corinthian, which is not however a name for a type of leather.

3. Gotta be Veep John Tyler, who of course also outlived Tippecanoe Harrison to assume the presidency, and remarkably enough still has grandchildren alive today.

4. Norway

5. Milton Berle and Gary Moore

6. No idea, let's say Glasgow.

7. They all were in airplane crashes from aircraft carriers.
Old 06 December 2016, 08:37 AM

Hello, again. Time for trivia.

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What color does sodium burn, in a chemistry lab flame test?
Sodium in a flame test burns a bright yellow, just like the yellow glow of a sodium-vapor lamp.

2. Which of the three orders of ancient Greek architecture was named for a specific city?
Ionia and Doris were both regions, but Corinth, where Corinthian columns got their name, was a city.

3. Who set a record by outliving six of his successors: Andrew Johnson, Schuyler Colfax, Henry Wilson, William Wheeler, Chester Arthur, and Thomas Hendricks?
These are all U.S. vice presidents, and none of them managed to outlive Hannibal Hamlin, who preceded them in the office.

4. Statoil, headquartered in the city of Stavanger, is by far the largest company in what nation's economy?
Statoil, the Norwegian oil and gas titan, is the 26th largest country in the world.

5. From 1956 to 1966, every TV show to win the Best Comedy Emmy was named for its leading man. Name any two of those five comedian stars.
Phil Silvers, Dick van Dyke, and maybe Jack Benny were the easy ones. Art Carney was the hard one. Bob Newhart was both, because we gave you credit even if we strongly suspected you were thinking of his 1970s sitcom and not his short-lived 1961-62 variety show.

6. According to an old nautical idiom, a place that's neat and tidy is in the "fashion" of what British port?
Ship-shape and Bristol fashion.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous Americans? George H. W. Bush, William Gillette, Roger Goodell, Elizabeth Schuyler Hamilton, William Randolph Hearst, Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Billy Mitchell, Pat Robertson.
Their fathers were United States Senators. We accepted slightly less specific answers, because we are nice like that.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Whose death in 1989 ended the so-called "Showa" period?

2. "I Want It Now," "Cheer Up Charlie," "The Wondrous Boat Ride," and "Pure Imagination" are songs from what 1971 movie musical?

3. What company introduced its most iconic frames, called Wayfarers, in 1956?

4. In 1884, physicist Oliver Heaviside simplified James Clerk's Maxwell's twenty equations of electromagnetism into how many equations?

5. "Cav and Pag," as they're nicknamed when presented together as a double bill, are classic "one-hit wonders" in what artistic field?

6. Until May 3, 1966, what always appeared on the front page of London's The Times?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these singles from hit artists? "Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire," "Don't Be Cruel," "I'm on Fire," "One Tree Hill," "Stayin' Alive," "Surfin' USA," "Together Again," "With a Little Help from My Friends."

Enjoy!
Old 06 December 2016, 08:55 AM

The emperor Hirohito

6. Until May 3, 1966, what always appeared on the front page of London's The Times?

For lack of anything better: a semi nude girl

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these singles from hit artists? "Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire," "Don't Be Cruel," "I'm on Fire," "One Tree Hill," "Stayin' Alive," "Surfin' USA," "Together Again," "With a Little Help from My Friends."

Judging by "With a Little Help from My Friends.": The cover was better than the original?
Old 06 December 2016, 11:43 AM

2. "I Want It Now," "Cheer Up Charlie," "The Wondrous Boat Ride," and "Pure Imagination" are songs from what 1971 movie musical? Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

3. What company introduced its most iconic frames, called Wayfarers, in 1956? Ray-Bans

Last edited by TallGeekyGirl; 06 December 2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06 December 2016, 01:44 PM

6. Until May 3, 1966, what always appeared on the front page of London's The Times? Classified ads.

As usual, I haven't the faintest idea on most of them.
Old 06 December 2016, 01:58 PM

1. Emperor Hirohito.
2. Apocalypse Now, The Musical (not really).
3. Rayban.
4. Four, as far as I remember... although I'm shocked to discover that Maxwell didn't come up with what I think of as Maxwell's Equations...
5. Weren't they two of The Three Tenors? Perhaps not... Although I think they may be operas (presumably the only ones by particular composers).
6. Classified adverts.

Quote:
All sung by somebody who wasn't the regular singer? Hmm, I feel I should know it since I know more of those songs than usual.
Old 06 December 2016, 02:36 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Emperor Hirohito?
Quote:

2. "I Want It Now," "Cheer Up Charlie," "The Wondrous Boat Ride," and "Pure Imagination" are songs from what 1971 movie musical?
Willy Wonka, starring the wonderful Gene Wilder.
Quote:

Ray-Ban. I'd quote Don Henley but can't remember the line.
Quote:

4. In 1884, physicist Oliver Heaviside simplified James Clerk's Maxwell's twenty equations of electromagnetism into how many equations?
Three seems to be a popular number for this sort of thing, but 20 to 3 is awfully condensed, so I'll say 9.
Quote:

5. "Cav and Pag," as they're nicknamed when presented together as a double bill, are classic "one-hit wonders" in what artistic field?
Opera. I mean, what the heck, right?
Quote:

Ads.
Quote:

I only know five of them. I'm going to say they were comeback hits, and not white it out because it's so unlikely to be right.

Seaboe
Old 06 December 2016, 02:59 PM

Hirohito?

Willy Wonka.

Ray-Ban.

Should know this, but don't...

Cavalleria rusticana and Pagliacci.

Don't know.

Some random thoughts: I know that "Stayin' Alive" and "With a Little Help from My Friends" both had fake credits for the dummer on the recording, but I don't think that's necessarilly true for any of the others. So I guess I got nothing.
Old 06 December 2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
4. I think they may be...
I meant that they're the composers of operas rather than the operas themselves - one each. "Pag" would be Paganini I think.
Old 06 December 2016, 03:27 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
As usual, I haven't the faintest idea on most of them.
Took the words right out of my mouth this week.
Old 06 December 2016, 05:28 PM

For #7, I'm going to take a wild guess based on no data. They were first released as a "B" side of a single.
Old 06 December 2016, 07:13 PM

2. "I Want It Now," "Cheer Up Charlie," "The Wondrous Boat Ride," and "Pure Imagination" are songs from what 1971 movie musical? Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

3. What company introduced its most iconic frames, called Wayfarers, in 1956? Ray-Ban

5. "Cav and Pag," as they're nicknamed when presented together as a double bill, are classic "one-hit wonders" in what artistic field? Opera (Cavalleria Rusticana and Pagliacci)

6. Until May 3, 1966, what always appeared on the front page of London's The Times? WAG - The royal crest?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these singles from hit artists? "Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire," "Don't Be Cruel," "I'm on Fire," "One Tree Hill," "Stayin' Alive," "Surfin' USA," "Together Again," "With a Little Help from My Friends." Hmmm.... need to think about this one.
Old 13 December 2016, 10:53 AM

Good Tuesday to you all.

Here are:

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

The Showa period of Japanese modernization ended with the death of Emperor Hirohito.

Also "The Candy Man," because this is Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

These are Ray-Ban sunglasses, specifically the kind that Tom Cruise wears with his briefs.

There are four Maxwell equations, which would have surprised the hell out of Maxwell, who died thinking there were many more.

Cavalleria Rusticana, by Mascagni, and Pagliacci, by Leoncavallo, are still two of the most frequently performed Italian operas, even if their respective composers never managed to match them.

Classified ads. 1966 was the first year that front page news actually made the front page of The Times--with rare exceptions, like the 1965 death of Winston Churchill.

Each of these artists had a second hit whose title was a single word from the titles of these other songs. To wit: Joni Mitchell's "Blue," Elvis's "Don't," Springsteen's "Fire," U2's "One," the Bee Gees' "Alive," the Beach Boys' "Surfin'," Janet Jackson's "Again," and the Beatles' "Help!" All these new songs were singles except for "Blue," but I let that slide because it's the title song off her signature album.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. The success of the first Salk vaccine was announced on April 12, 1955, the tenth anniversary of whose death?

2. What TV host was named the youngest ever "Chief Scout" of British Scouting in 2009, at age 35?

3. In India, what are the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha?

4. What letter, not found in the Roman alphabet, do mathematicians use to identify cardinalities of infinite sets?

5. According to Phyllis Rose's famous 1983 book on the subject, art critic John Ruskin rejected his wife Effie after discovering that she had what?

6. What country's music scene has produced genres like mento, rocksteady, and dub?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these athletes? Lou Brock, Cris Carter, Randall Cunningham, Terry Cummings, Mark Jackson, Meadowlark Lemon, Ray Lewis, Mike Singletary, Darryl Strawberry, Mookie Wilson.

Enjoy!
Old 13 December 2016, 11:23 AM

1 FDR

4 Aleph

5 pubic hair
Old 13 December 2016, 12:01 PM

1. The success of the first Salk vaccine was announced on April 12, 1955, the tenth anniversary of whose death? Franklin Roosevelt, who had polio
Old 13 December 2016, 02:19 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. The success of the first Salk vaccine was announced on April 12, 1955, the tenth anniversary of whose death?
FDR, who (according to an article I recently read) may not have had polio after all.
Quote:

2. What TV host was named the youngest ever "Chief Scout" of British Scouting in 2009, at age 35?
Dora the Explorer.
Quote:

3. In India, what are the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha?
Temple Gates.
Quote:

4. What letter, not found in the Roman alphabet, do mathematicians use to identify cardinalities of infinite sets?
thorn.
Quote:

5. According to Phyllis Rose's famous 1983 book on the subject, art critic John Ruskin rejected his wife Effie after discovering that she had what?
pubic hair.
Quote:

6. What country's music scene has produced genres like mento, rocksteady, and dub?
Jamaica
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these athletes? Lou Brock, Cris Carter, Randall Cunningham, Terry Cummings, Mark Jackson, Meadowlark Lemon, Ray Lewis, Mike Singletary, Darryl Strawberry, Mookie Wilson.
Sports questions = Seaboe doesn't have a clue. I will say that at least I've heard of more than half these athletes. My answer is that they all grew up in Detroit.

I think I may be 2 for 7 this week. I am so confident that three of my answers are wrong, I didn't even white them out.

Seaboe
Old 13 December 2016, 05:53 PM

The only one I know which hasn't been answered is 2, which I believe (but am not entirely sure) is Bear Grylls. (Also knew 5 and 6, and would have known 4 except for a mental block which went away when I saw Steve's answer).
Old 13 December 2016, 08:35 PM

Baseball 1 for 7 this week

1. Roosevelt

2. Jamie Oliver, ooooooh... Graham Norton.

3. Curries

4. I dunno, but if it is not Roman, it must be Greek (defnitely not Arabic or Hebrew)

5. Slept with the artist he most hated.

6. Ireland

7. No clue, but they all made their name playing for the "other team" in a big city. Eg Mets, not the Yankees.
Old 14 December 2016, 01:59 AM

1. Franklin Delano Roosevelt

6. Jamaica

Can't even hazard a guess at the others.
Closed Thread