snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Closed Thread

Old 30 August 2016, 12:19 PM

1. In what Goethe play does a poodle transform into the devil Mephistopheles?

Faust

2. Because the product was designed to be casual and disposable, the word "Swatch" was coined as a portmanteau of what two-word phrase?

Guessing: "switch watch"

3. The "radiant" is the constellation in space (notable examples including Perseus and Leo) from which what appears to originate?

Meteors

4. A man named Linus briefly mentioned in Second Timothy is best known today for traditionally being the second person to do what?

Carrying around a towel for comfort? No idea.

5. What two stars of TV's Stranger Things first co-starred in 1989, as circus performers in the Roy Orbison video "A Love So Beautiful"?

No idea.

6. What city has the same name today as when it was the capital of "Russian America" between 1808 and 1867?

Guessing: St. Petersburg

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these animals? Bison, boa, dugong, gorilla, hippopotamus, junco, lemur, lynx, oryx, puma, python, rhea.

Their English names are (similar to) their scientific latin names?
Old 30 August 2016, 12:35 PM

2. BSwinger watch

6. Juneau

7. A WAG: Their genus name is also their species name or perhaps the same as their common name, as in the gorilla's official name being 'gorilla gorilla' I am pretty sure it applies to the bison as well. Not as sure as to the others

Last edited by A Turtle Named Mack; 30 August 2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 30 August 2016, 02:18 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Faust, although I supposed it could be The Whatever of Young Werther (the only two Goethe titles I know).
Quote:

2. Because the product was designed to be casual and disposable, the word "Swatch" was coined as a portmanteau of what two-word phrase?
I always thought of it as "Swiss watch" but have no clue if the manufacturers did.
Quote:

3. The "radiant" is the constellation in space (notable examples including Perseus and Leo) from which what appears to originate?
a Pulsar?
Quote:

4. A man named Linus briefly mentioned in Second Timothy is best known today for traditionally being the second person to do what?
deny Jesus.
Quote:

5. What two stars of TV's Stranger Things first co-starred in 1989, as circus performers in the Roy Orbison video "A Love So Beautiful"?
Okay, I'm so pop-culture ignorant that I can't even begin to come up with a couple, except maybe Benji (the dog) and Morris (the cat).
Quote:

6. What city has the same name today as when it was the capital of "Russian America" between 1808 and 1867?
This implies it's had a different name either before or since. I'm thinking this is in Alaska someplace. Sadly, I have no clue what its name would be.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these animals? Bison, boa, dugong, gorilla, hippopotamus, junco, lemur, lynx, oryx, puma, python, rhea.
Man, this one's tough. I was thinking it had something to do with similarities such as bison/buffalo, puma/cougar, gorilla/great ape, but can't think of anything for most of the others.

Seaboe
Old 30 August 2016, 04:30 PM

Yow!

1. Faust
2. SWap wATCH?
3. meteors (Leonid, Perseid)
4. become Pope
5. Going to have to go with Matthew Modine and Winona Ryder
6. Sitka?
7. They all taste terrible without proper seasoning.
Old 30 August 2016, 05:58 PM

6. What city has the same name today as when it was The capital of "Russian America" between 1808 and 1867

I'm thinking Sitka.
Old 30 August 2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
7. A WAG: Their genus name is also their species name or perhaps the same as their common name, as in the gorilla's official name being 'gorilla gorilla' I am pretty sure it applies to the bison as well. Not as sure as to the others
I think you may be right about genus=common name, which I know applies to Puma.
Old 30 August 2016, 06:23 PM

BTW: Apologies for not putting my answers in white - simply overlooked that - it was fairly early and I got waken up earlier than should have been
Old 30 August 2016, 06:32 PM

Glasses

I think Nick is right for #6.

Seaboe
Old 30 August 2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
But then, what about Gulo Gulo?
Old 30 August 2016, 07:16 PM

Okay, I think it works better to say that the genus name is the common name. You are right that you have an example of a twinned genus and species name, but of course, the common name of Gulo gulo is not gulo.

Did you know that one off the top of your head?
Old 30 August 2016, 08:48 PM

4) Linus is traditionally thought to be the second Bishop of Rome
Old 30 August 2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
The last fatal defection happened in March 1989, when Winifried Freudenberg crashed in a homemade balloon filled with natural gas.
That's not fair - I was actually in Berlin in March 1989. How did I manage to miss seeing or hearing about this event?

Quote:
I was going to say something similar but others may have got their first: I think their Latin names consist of repeated words - or rather, both parts of their Latin names are the same. I can think of other examples (mostly birds, because I tend to be more familiar with their Latin names than others) and could be wrong, but it's a reasonable guess and it fits with yours. It's not necessarily that unusual though.
Old 06 September 2016, 09:42 AM

Hello, all. Let's get right at it this week with:

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

A poodle is the devil in Faust. And possibly in real life as well.

Your "Swatch" is your "second watch." I always thought it was short for "Swiss watch," but I'll be the bigger man here and admit it: I was wrong.

That's why the Perseid and the Leonid meteor showers are so named. Every meteor in the shower will appear (to a viewer on the ground) to originate from a point in their namesake constellations.

Linus is the traditional second pope of the Roman Catholic Church, after St. Peter. He originated the papal tradition of narrating the Vatican Christmas pageant, and fighting with Snoopy over a security blanket.

The two '80s-throwback stars of the '80s-throwback hit are Winona Ryder and Matthew Modine.

Russian America is now Alaska. What's the only vaguely Russian-sounding city in Alaska today? Sitka, that's right.

Each animal is known popularly in English by its Latin genus name. The hippopotamus is known to scientists as Hippopotamus amphibius, for example, while the American bison is Bison bison. Cool cool.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. The Mistick Krewe of Comus is the oldest of the 71 "krewes" that organize social events in what U.S. city?

2. What 400-million-year-past geologic period, also called the "Age of Fishes," is named for the southwest English county where its fossils were first studied?

3. Who was the last U.S. president before Bill Clinton to have no military service (including reserves) on his resume before becoming commander-in-chief?

4. Which instrument in a modern orchestra typically has seven pedals?

5. Who's the only baseball player ever to have his jersey retired by three different major league teams?

6. Of all the Caribbean locales mentioned by the Beach Boys in their song "Kokomo," which two refer to the same island?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these movies? Abbott and Costello Go to Mars, Brazil, 49th Parallel, From Russia with Love, Last Year at Marienbad, Madagascar 3, Paris Texas, Persepolis, 3:10 to Yuma, Woodstock.

Enjoy!
Old 06 September 2016, 10:22 AM

2. What 400-million-year-past geologic period, also called the "Age of Fishes," is named for the southwest English county where its fossils were first studied?

Devon

The harp

=====

Re: last week

Russian America is now Alaska. What's the only vaguely Russian-sounding city in Alaska today? Sitka, that's right

Only it was called New Arkhangelsk in the Russian days according to Wikipedia.
Old 06 September 2016, 10:33 AM

1. New Orleans
2. Cambrian
3. Nixon? Can't be Nixon but who remembers Nixon's war record??
4. Timpani
5. dunno... Babe Ruth?
6. Uh.... Martinique and ... no clue
7. Oh, I think I might be able to guess one of these for a change: None of the movie takes place in the title location.
Old 06 September 2016, 11:41 AM

1. The Mistick Krewe of Comus is the oldest of the 71 "krewes" that organize social events in what U.S. city? New Orleans

2. What 400-million-year-past geologic period, also called the "Age of Fishes," is named for the southwest English county where its fossils were first studied? The Devonian

3. Who was the last U.S. president before Bill Clinton to have no military service (including reserves) on his resume before becoming commander-in-chief? Franklin Roosevelt
Old 06 September 2016, 11:44 AM

1. The Mistick Krewe of Comus is the oldest of the 71 "krewes" that organize social events in what U.S. city?

Sounds like New Orleans.

Devonian?

3. Who was the last U.S. president before Bill Clinton to have no military service (including reserves) on his resume before becoming commander-in-chief?

I think that was FDR.

Don't know.

5. Who's the only baseball player ever to have his jersey retired by three different major league teams?

Nolan Ryan.

6. Of all the Caribbean locales mentioned by the Beach Boys in their song "Kokomo," which two refer to the same island?

IIRC, Montego is a city in Jamaica.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these movies? Abbott and Costello Go to Mars, Brazil, 49th Parallel, From Russia with Love, Last Year at Marienbad, Madagascar 3, Paris Texas, Persepolis, 3:10 to Yuma, Woodstock.

All the titles mention places that are not seen in the movie.
Old 06 September 2016, 12:20 PM

1. New Orleans

2. Devonian

3. Erk, I am not sure about Nixon or Truman. I think FDR had a nominal position of sorts despite his handicap, so I'll say Hoover.

4. Harp?

5. No idea, so I'll say Hank Aaron

6. Montego is part of Jamaica

7. No idea
Old 06 September 2016, 02:41 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Nawlins (aka New Orleans)
Quote:

Devonian.
Quote:

Nixon?
Quote:

Harp
Quote:

I feel I should know this. However, I don't, so I'll say Randy Johnson, aka the Big Unit.
Quote:

Bermuda and Bahama?
Quote:

None of them are set in the places mentioned. ETA: Am I alone in thinking this is an exceptionally easy question 7? Or are we all fooling ourselves?

Seaboe
Old 06 September 2016, 03:18 PM

United States

1. Mardi Gras!
2. It's gotta be either Devonian or Cambrian, but I can't remember which comes where. Gonna go with Devonian.
3. FDR? Does being Secretary of the Navy count as military service even if it's a civvie job?
4. Harp?
5. I was going to say Jackie Robinson, but IIRC his number was retired by every team recently. Nolan Ryan pitched for a number of teams, so I'll go with him.
6. No idea. I can recite the lyrics and the only one I can't place is Montego (sp?) so that's gotta be one of the two.
7. I don't know. Best guess is something to do with trains.
Closed Thread