snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 24 July 2017, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
But why would Mary Poppins be taking a commercial flight?
To annoy Anne Coulter?
Old 25 July 2017, 05:45 PM

Hi, all.

Sorry this is later than usual. I'm travelling this week and the days are full!

Anyway, here we finally go with ...

LAST WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What city's legal code was overhauled by the lawmaker Solon?
Solon was a famed lawmaker and reformer in Athens.

2. On the American Film Institute's 2003 list of the fifty greatest movie villains of all time, there are two different characters that have flesh and blood, but no bones. Who are they?
The Terminator's skeleton is metal, not bone. (Kyle Reece: "Underneath, it's a hyperalloy combat chassis--micro processor-controlled, fully armored. Very tough. But outside, it's living human tissue--flesh, skin, hair, blood, grown for the cyborgs.") The skeleton of the shark in Jaws is not made of "hyperalloy," but it isn't bone either: it's cartilage.

3. Chris Patten, the current chancellor of Oxford University, was the last governor of what from 1992 to 1997?
He was the last governor of the British colony of Hong Kong--and has been widely interviewed this month in commemoration of the 20th anniversary of the 1997 handover to China.

4. Felix Mendelssohn wrote eight celebrated volumes of Songs Without what?
They are "Songs Without Words." Not really songs then, are they, Felix?!?

5. Anne with an E is the new Netflix series based on the novels of what writer?
Anne with an E adapts the Anne of Green Gables novels of Lucy Maud Montgomery.

6. Scientists E. E. Barnard, Max Wolf, and Adriaan van Maanen are probably best known today for having what named after them?
Barnard's Star, Wolf 359, and Van Maanen's Star are the rare stars that, in lieu of traditional Arabic or Greek or Latin or constellation names, are named after modern astronomers. I'm not counting all the dopes that have paid $20 for made-up "name a star" registries.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these objects? A bucket, a dog, a fishhook, a flagpole, a flower, a football, a kettle, a pastry, a pig, smoked meat, a turban.
Each once had a war named after it. Let's have a moment of silence for all the victims of the Franco-Mexican Pastry War (or Guerre des Patisseries) of 1838.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What classic item of French cuisine shares its name with the French word for "wand"?

2. Since 1960, four first team consensus All-Americans in college basketball have never played a single NBA (or ABA or ABL) game, including Chris Carrawell, Steve Logan, and Scottie Reynolds. Who is the fourth?

3. "Lessepsian migration" is the term for the massive species movements and habitat shifts that followed what 1859 event?

4. What novel's first four chapters are "Spade & Archer," "Death in the Fog," "Three Women," and "The Black Bird"?

5. What Japanese automaker has its propietary Symmetrical All Wheel Drive as standard on essentially its entire international product line?

6. What country's police force killed Steve Biko in 1977?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these brands? Batman, Carnegie Mellon University, Microsoft, Neiman Marcus, Newsweek, The New York Times, Ralston Purina, 20th Century Fox, VH1, Walmart.

Enjoy!
Old 25 July 2017, 05:51 PM

3. "Lessepsian migration" is the term for the massive species movements and habitat shifts that followed what 1859 event?

The opening of the Suez canal

South Africa
Old 25 July 2017, 06:07 PM

1. What classic item of French cuisine shares its name with the French word for "wand"? Croque?

5. What Japanese automaker has its propietary Symmetrical All Wheel Drive as standard on essentially its entire international product line? Subaru
Old 25 July 2017, 06:56 PM

2. Since 1960, four first team consensus All-Americans in college basketball have never played a single NBA (or ABA or ABL) game, including Chris Carrawell, Steve Logan, and Scottie Reynolds. Who is the fourth?

===> Len Bias?
Old 25 July 2017, 06:59 PM

1. Baguette
2. Len Bias

5. Suburu
Old 25 July 2017, 07:00 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What classic item of French cuisine shares its name with the French word for "wand"?
I should know this, so of course, my mind went completely empty of French words the moment I finished reading the sentence. However, far be it for me to leave an answer blank, so I'll say quiche.
Quote:

Sports. Why does it have to be sports? Johnny Bench.
Quote:

Well, it wasn't Krakatoa, because that didn't happen until the 1880s. I can actually think of a number of things it wasn't; it's much harder to think of things it could be. I'll say the opening of the Suez canal, just because.
Quote:

4. What novel's first four chapters are "Spade & Archer," "Death in the Fog," "Three Women," and "The Black Bird"?
The Maltese Falcon
Quote:

5. What Japanese automaker has its proprietary Symmetrical All Wheel Drive as standard on essentially its entire international product line?
Subaru.
Quote:

Well, I assume it was South Africa, but just in case that's wrong, I'll stick Lesotho here as well.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these brands? Batman, Carnegie Mellon University, Microsoft, Neiman Marcus, Newsweek, The New York Times, Ralston Purina, 20th Century Fox, VH1, Walmart.
Batman as a brand? Not that I don't think it is one, I've just never seen that in writing before. They were all victims of blackmail over their .com URL.

Seaboe
Old 25 July 2017, 07:43 PM

Baseball Another 1 for 7 week.

1. Mmmmm. baguette.

2. Not even a clue close enough to hazard a guess.

3. Volcanic eruption in Indonesia (Krakatoa??)

4. Guessing the Handmaids Tale

5. Guessing Toyota

6. UK's?

7. All have successfully changed their logo without negative implications to their bottom line.
Old 25 July 2017, 08:12 PM

4. What novels first four chapters are...
Maltese Falcon?

South Africa
Old 25 July 2017, 08:40 PM

1. What classic item of French cuisine shares its name with the French word for "wand"? baguette

3. "Lessepsian migration" is the term for the massive species movements and habitat shifts that followed what 1859 event? Eruption of Krakatoa?

4. What novel's first four chapters are "Spade & Archer," "Death in the Fog," "Three Women," and "The Black Bird"? The Maltese Falcon

5. What Japanese automaker has its propietary Symmetrical All Wheel Drive as standard on essentially its entire international product line? Subaru

6. What country's police force killed Steve Biko in 1977? South Africa

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these brands? Batman, Carnegie Mellon University, Microsoft, Neiman Marcus, Newsweek, The New York Times, Ralston Purina, 20th Century Fox, VH1, Walmart. Could it be that they were all originally hyphenated?

ETA: Rats. Pretty sure Seaboe's right about the dates for #3, so I've got no idea.
Old 25 July 2017, 09:24 PM

1. Baguette.

2. No idea.

3. Opening of the Suez Canal.

4. The Maltese Falcon.

5. Don't know.

6. South Africa.

7. I think originally all of those names were hyphenated somewhere.
Old 26 July 2017, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Baguette

Quote:
Only thing I can think of that happened in 1859 is the opening of the Suez Canal.

Quote:
The Maltese Falcon.

Quote:
5. What Japanese automaker has its propietary Symmetrical All Wheel Drive as standard on essentially its entire international product line?
Subaru

Quote:
South Africa