snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Disney

Old 12 August 2010, 04:08 PM

Florida Disney faces $200,000 lawsuit in alleged Donald Duck groping case

Walt Disney World is facing a federal lawsuit seeking more than $200,000 in damages after a Pennsylvania woman claimed a person in a Donald Duck costume groped her breast two years ago, court records show.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,6804076.story
Old 12 August 2010, 04:16 PM

IMS, we had a discussion over this or a similar claim a while back. It was pointed out (as did one of the commenters on this story) that the employees in the character suits can't see very well and can't feel much through the gloves. So while the character's hand may have been on this woman's breast (say during a sideways hug for the camera), it may not have been an intentional grope.

Plus, over two years to file a claim?
Old 12 August 2010, 04:56 PM

My favorite (stupid) Disneyland lawsuit occurred years ago, when a woman claimed a pig character fonded her chest and shrieked "Mommy! Mommy!"
The case was dropped when it was pointed out that the pig outfit in question only had doll arms, thus the person in the outfit couldn't grab anything.
Old 12 August 2010, 06:20 PM
BBVD Fan

Seems like someone trying to make a buck off Disney. It took 2 years?? I also have no issue believing they unintentionally "grope" people all the time. They are in a big thick costume with their hands covered and their eyes/view obstructed. I hope they toss it out..what a waste of time/money.
Old 12 August 2010, 06:45 PM

She does know that she wasn't going to get Donald Duck's actual autograph right? What with Donald Duck not actually existing, and this being a request made of someone dressed up to look like the fictional chaacter. However if there are adults that deluded, for $100 plus travel and other expenses I am available to dress up as any character from any film of their choosing and scribble my moniker on a tatty piece of paper for their delight.
Old 12 August 2010, 07:01 PM

Uhhh Eddie.. This is about a groping case not a autograph case....
Old 12 August 2010, 07:15 PM

Eddie, how much money to grope her?
Old 12 August 2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
Uhhh Eddie.. This is about a groping case not a autograph case....
From the article:
Quote:
April Magolon said her family was visiting Epcot in May 2008 when she approached Donald Duck for an autograph.
How can something be both negligent and intentional?
Old 12 August 2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
"Donald Duck proceeded to grab [Magolon's] breast and molest her and then made gestures making a joke indicating he had done something wrong," the lawsuit states.
Wait, I can visualize what the characters do. We've been to Disney a lot recently and they all pretty much do the same thing. They hug and then do an exaggerated mime of a laugh (or blush?) with their hand over their mouth. Imagine arms outstretched and then back to the mouth with an exagerated shoulder-shake. Not sure if I'm describing that right. They all do this. Always. It's probably part of their training to help make the huge animal costumes more friendly and cheerful instead of large and menacing.

I'm picturing that exact scenario based on the lawyer's description. Those gloves are thick. Maybe she (isn't Donald usually played by a female castmember?) was trying to reach around the woman for a sideways hug and missed. It'd be easy for that to happen since visibility would be pretty limited in those costumes.

Maybe Goofy (who is played by a guy) should file charges against my 2yo daughter for kissing him on the chest when she couldn't reach his face. *shrug*

Scuse me for being doubtful, but with as detail oriented as Disney is over everything I simply can't imagine they'd employ someone as a character who was a sexual predator. I imagine they vet people pretty carefully and would yank someone at the first sign of an issue.
Old 12 August 2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
She has suffered "severe physical injury, emotional anguish and distress," according to the complaint. She also alleges the incident has caused acute anxiety, headaches, nightmares and flashbacks, among other emotional and physical ailments.
I can understand how being groped by a giant duck might cause various emotional and mental issues (although in this case they seem rather exaggerated) but what exactly was her "severe physical injury?"
Old 12 August 2010, 11:29 PM

I say she should get nothing because she assumed the risk - let's face it, she sought out a notoriously emotionally unstable guy who wanders through a park all day wearing absolutely nothing but a navel-length shirt!
Old 12 August 2010, 11:35 PM

Airplane <- Closest image of a spaceship

Eddy: I've got the $100 and travel expenses ready. Come here and perform Gary Oldman as the bad guy from The 5th Element. In fact, if you can just say the line, "Where are the stones?" convincingly, I may add another $100.
Old 12 August 2010, 11:36 PM

Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBVD Fan View Post
Seems like someone trying to make a buck off Disney. It took 2 years??
Not everybody tries to settle their disputes by immediately rushing off to file lawsuits. Sometimes people actually try to reach an accommodation with the other party privately and only file suit when that process has failed to reach a mutually acceptable agreement after protracted negotiations.
Old 13 August 2010, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PallasAthena View Post
Maybe she (isn't Donald usually played by a female castmember?) was trying to reach around the woman for a sideways hug and missed.
I was about to suggest that Donald was portrayed by a female cast member. If you look at the costume, Donald is about 6 feet tall, but if you look at the shoulder position and visualize where the person's head is, I would imagine the CM is about 5' 2". Also, when I shook Donald's hand, I was mildly shocked to be shaking a petite, female hand.

Not that a woman cannot grope another woman, but it sort of puts it in a different light.
Old 13 August 2010, 04:21 AM

Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTex View Post
I was about to suggest that Donald was portrayed by a female cast member.
Well, we already know that Mickey is a Gyrl.
Old 13 August 2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTex View Post
If you look at the costume, Donald is about 6 feet tall, but if you look at the shoulder position and visualize where the person's head is, I would imagine the CM is about 5' 2".
The cast member is shorter than that by at least 2".

It's hard to explain the intricacies of the Donald costume without really *showing* you the costume. Long story short- the person sees out of the beak, *not* the eyes (the top of the person's head is just above the pupils), and it's a front-heavy head. The person sees lower down, and it's hard to get one's arms higher than beak level because of the size of the beak. If they do, they're likely doing it pretty much blindly.

Oh, and "menacing gesture"? I've seen people get upset that a character dared to suggest that the guest open the autograph book. Maybe she felt threatened by the gesture, though I have no idea why.
Old 14 August 2010, 12:30 AM

I bet a lot of the cast members in those costumes would be happy to have $100 for every time they have been accidentally groped...
Old 14 August 2010, 07:29 AM
BBVD Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Not everybody tries to settle their disputes by immediately rushing off to file lawsuits. Sometimes people actually try to reach an accommodation with the other party privately and only file suit when that process has failed to reach a mutually acceptable agreement after protracted negotiations.
Saw this in the article I was reading:
Quote:
WFTV tried to reach Magolon and her attorney Thursday to ask why she waited two years to file the complaint and why she never reported it to the sheriff's office. Neither Magolon nor her attorney responded.
That indicates pretty strongly to me they weren't trying to work something out but that she suddenly came forward 2 years later and claimed it caused her "severe physical injury, emotional anguish and distress,"

I reads to me like someone trying to get some money not someone who was genuinely "terrorized" by a character.
Old 15 August 2010, 11:36 PM

Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBVD Fan View Post
That indicates pretty strongly to me they weren't trying to work something out but that she suddenly came forward 2 years later and claimed it caused her "severe physical injury, emotional anguish and distress"
All that indicates to me is that the reporting TV station is engaging in the same erroneous inference that "did not file a lawsuit" is the same thing as "never raised a complaint with Disney." I note the article you reference doesn't state that the reporter contacted Disney and found that Disney had no record of having received a prior complaint from the plaintiff.

In any case, I fail to see how her filing a lawsuit two years after the alleged incident is any more indicative of a money grab than if she'd rushed out and filed a lawsuit immediately. The bottom line is that no matter when the lawsuit is/was filed, one of its purposes is an attempt to gain compensation.
Old 16 August 2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Plus, over two years to file a claim?
What do you think? It took her that long to get over the trauma.